Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2014, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dead beat customer

Got a customer that we have done a couple of applications on. We have sent multiple letters trying to collect the balance left voicemails no response was driving past the customer was
pulling in driveway so decided to stop and try and collect the balance, her response was this how you run your business and she says you have 30 seconds to get off my property. Grrr freakin theif!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 AM

This is why I make people earn credit with me. They are pay as you go until I determine them to be trust worthy enough for billing ie when they are not going to be at home when I am there. Otherwise, you are doomed to get a certain amount of deadbeats. I can see a big company not wanting to take the time to collect on the spot. Big companies just have to be able to live with not getting paid from a certain % of the population. I don't do credit checks, so really I would be extending credit blindly to anyone. I think you are more likely to get paid from a dead beat if you do the work and then go to the door rather than use billing. Seems they ignore your bill just like all the others. I have noticed all heating and air companies are pay as you go--- without a contract. Garage door companies don't bill either. Plumbers and Electricians don't bill one time residential customers.

Last edited by Charles; 06-18-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is why I make people earn credit with me. They are pay as you go until I determine them to be trust worthy enough for billing ie when they are not going to be at home when I am there. Otherwise, you are doomed to get a certain amount of deadbeats. I can see a big company not wanting to take the time to collect on the spot. Big companies just have to be able to live with not getting paid from a certain % of the population. I don't do credit checks, so really I would be extending credit blindly to anyone. I think you are more likely to get paid from a dead beat if you do the work and then go to the door rather than use billing. Seems they ignore your bill just like all the others. I have noticed all heating and air companies are pay as you go--- without a contract. Garage door companies don't bill either. Plumbers and Electricians don't bill one time residential customers.
I hear ya! We have way to many customers to do that. Just pissed at the boldness of someone to be such trash!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Take her to small claims court. It is a bit of a PITA but you get your money and word will travel that you don't deal with BS
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm with you but our customers rather pay us on the day we cut we are lucky to have great clients they do not like the invoice billing crap though. Cut it and pay before we leave without even saying anything about it guess we have just weeded out all the bad apples.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
Got a customer that we have done a couple of applications on. We have sent multiple letters trying to collect the balance left voicemails no response was driving past the customer was
pulling in driveway so decided to stop and try and collect the balance, her response was this how you run your business and she says you have 30 seconds to get off my property. Grrr freakin theif!
Posted via Mobile Device

Your easier going then I am. Have you sent out a letter yet before stopping by the house? I wouldn't continue stopping by the house as she could say you are "harassing" her, which most dead beats would do. I would simply get a letter certified and state that if you haven't received a payment within (xx) amount of days (I believe is every state is different on late bills, some have to be 30 past the invoice date others have to be 45 days and so forth.) Anyway, I would send a certified letter stating if the bill hasn't been paid within xx amount of days you will be proceeding to small claims court and will also be suing for recovered attorney fee's. When she feels you are serious and that she would be more out of pocket having to pay you back the bill, attorney fee's, and lost time to go to court she might be ready to pay you. It won't be a friendly payment granted, but I don't easily let someone get over on me. Heck, I've had people five days late on bills and call me asking why I didn't show up at their house for scheduled service. Simple, no explination, I don't have payment on time, I don't work on time.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Yea that is what I was saying. Most all of my customers pay me the day of service
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
I'm with you but our customers rather pay us on the day we cut we are lucky to have great clients they do not like the invoice billing crap though. Cut it and pay before we leave without even saying anything about it guess we have just weeded out all the bad apples.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one last year, still hasnt paid, even with the monthly invoice, letters, and registered mail, so I stopped by his house as he was leaving and he basically threatened to call the cops lol I said 'go ahead, I havent done anything wrong'...he decided to leave but insisted I take him to small claims court...which i will be doing sometime soon.
To me, this is basically stealing from me and the 6 little mouths I have to feed each day.
Ive thought about writing stuff in his grass with roundup, but I cant bring myself to actually go farther than a wild dream lol
Old 06-18-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
I had one last year, still hasnt paid, even with the monthly invoice, letters, and registered mail, so I stopped by his house as he was leaving and he basically threatened to call the cops lol I said 'go ahead, I havent done anything wrong'...he decided to leave but insisted I take him to small claims court...which i will be doing sometime soon.
To me, this is basically stealing from me and the 6 little mouths I have to feed each day.
Ive thought about writing stuff in his grass with roundup, but I cant bring myself to actually go farther than a wild dream lol
Sent her to collections today and will be filing at small claims court! I hear ya on the round up thing, thought the same thing. But like you I have some integrity!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea that is what I was saying. Most all of my customers pay me the day of service
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm to use to it and it is great way to deal with it, we know all of ours pretty well personally. I don't understand why people try to avoid customers you work for them you want input from them because they pay you lol. Keep the good get rid of the occasional weird one's luckily had not had but a handful of those had a few new ones saw needles in yard after a few cuts stopped loaded mower up and left don;t deal with tweekers well.

Most have been with us for years still have very first one from 11 years ago when we started on a 52" resi Gravely lol

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)