Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Another vote for the fs100rx if you need access to multiple attachments. Power is 3x what the 210 echo had to offer and you can mount attachments by swapping heads - no need to buy a split shaft unit. Throttle control is nearly nonexistent compared to echo 2-strokes but you'll soon get used to it and love it. stihl heads are extremely resistant to tall grass getting wrapped around too - very nice feature
Stihl says the 100RX is non compatible with the other heads/attachments. Do you actually swap them and have had no problems yet?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach14604 View Post
My advice don't go to Sthil. I just bought a top of the line stick edger last year. It is a piece of junk. It is the hardest starting machine I have ever used. It is not worth it. My Redmax and Echo start on the first pull. I had issues when I worked for a company that ran Sthils and having issues with this edger shows me nothing has changed.
I agree, I have a 55 and 2 110 Kombi power heads, and they are all hard too start, and sometimes don't start.

I will say the attachments all work great and seem to be bullet proof.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought of sthil being best for chainsaws that was it not really sure there seems to be more negative feedback than positive, I've done forum searches and everything related in this thread.

I may just go ahead with Echo and any breakdown have a backup in place and take it to nearest dealer 1hr away for repairs if that ever happened, I just sold 1 curved shaft I just kept laying around never hardly used it I have never had any issues with Echo motors or breakdowns, my head lasted me over 8 years before bearings went out same with starting recoil assembly.

Still 50/50 on what to do so far in to this.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally Ill be switching to Shindawia as time goes on.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well you know about my Gravely dealer fiasco he's only one around for a hour that carries Echo (mechanic/dealer) just like all the other Gravely dealers were a hour away.

Only other stuff left in Lowe's I don't trust anything with a motor for commercial use from there, my JD dealer carries only Sthil, may bite the damn bullet on this one I plan on 2 new units, my SRM 210 still has good life in it grips are worn has new head and starter recoil assembly lasted 8 years only issues I've had with it, so I could handle 1 trimmer going down if it ever did and take the 1hr drive to shop for that, totally different issue with mowers for me.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Stihl says the 100RX is non compatible with the other heads/attachments. Do you actually swap them and have had no problems yet?
2 with the old hollow shaft and 1 with the new flex shaft work well with attachments for us. We did break one of the old shafts twice knocking down brush with the guard off but the new shafts should be much more resilient.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
2 with the old hollow shaft and 1 with the new flex shaft work well with attachments for us. We did break one of the old shafts twice knocking down brush with the guard off but the new shafts should be much more resilient.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow. That's interesting and good to know!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I use Husqvarna combi units and get good service from them.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been relatively happy with my FS90R. More than enough power for anything I'll ever need it for and the articulating hedge trimmer attachment was probably THE best money I've spent to date - I use it a LOT and it makes trimming a breeze.

I think it was my third year when it started getting hard to start. Apparently needed a valve adjustment because after that it was fine.
I bought a new one this spring so I'd have an identical backup - I hate using a backup that's different than what you're used to using.

Both units start on the first pull 90% of the time without priming, or moving the choke.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Personally Ill be switching to Shindawia as time goes on.
So you're switching to Echo?

Tags
multi tools , recoomendations , sthil , trimmers