Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd drive 2 hours if it meant not having to use Stihl.

I know a lot of guys swear by them, but I've never been impressed. Even brand new, I'm extremely unhappy. If you like Echo, then an hour isn't too far. Stock up on parts for simple fixes. My redmax dealer was over an hour away. Small price to pay for something that's going to make your day less miserable.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone will have their own preference but I think you'll notice if you look at the guys running more than one or two units they tend to favor Stihl. My guys have told me they will never run another trimmer other than a Stihl and my dealer that also sells Husquavarna says the Stihl's outsell the husky's 10:1. I know I would never even bother to try another trimmer, the FS-100RX all day, every day, for trimming. The FS-110R if you want to be able to switch heads once in a while or the KM-110 for all around everything versatility at a great price! (these all have the same motor, just difference in weight and configuration for attachments.
2013 Ferris IS2000 52/28 Briggs
2011 Ferris IS2000 52/25 Kawi
2010 Ferris IS2000 52/25 Kawi
PJ 18' Trailer
Triton 12' Trailer
(2) Stihl FS-110R w/ Edger Head
(5) Stihl FS-100RX
(3) Stihl BR-600 Blowers
(2) Stihl KM-110
Cultivator head
Hedge trimmer head
String trimmer head
Paddle Sweeper head (The best invention!)
Stihl HS-80 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
(3) Pushmowers

w w w.snowhillinc.com
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also depends on dealer support. I am lucky that my dealer sells both Stihl and Echo. I tried Echo, wasn't impressed and switched to Stihl.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerKing10 View Post
Also depends on dealer support. I am lucky that my dealer sells both Stihl and Echo. I tried Echo, wasn't impressed and switched to Stihl.
That's a big thing... our dealer sells both also and he is pretty neutral when it comes to his preference. They do rely on a lot of feedback from the end user when it comes to what's working best out in the field.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have known my dealers owner since I was young. He never will push me on something but will let me know what people have told him and his own personal experience. They haven't let me down yet.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm one who buys the smallest of the more durable options, from a brand. I've been exclusively Stihl, as my dealer has been awesome. However, I bought a '14 FS55 trimmer, this year. It's been a nightmare, from day one. It will either idle or run WFO. There is no transition or it will die. Just trying to get it to WFO is sometimes trouble. I cleaned the carb, to no avail. He got me a much older carb that I cleaned and installed, to no avail. He got me a warranty carb, to no avail. My Kombi and HH blower are both 55 motors. They run perfect. Side-by-side, my Kombi with string trimmer head will hand the KM55 its rear. I have an excellent Toro dealer who carries Stihl and Echo. At the urging of another LCO, I bought an Echo 225. The Echo is lightyears ahead of the KM55 in smoothness, running, and power. These are very equal string trimmers. I'm not happy with my BR600 and its 4-mix, so that'll be getting replaced with a RM8500 or Husky 580. I'm done with Stihl, as they've internally changed something (port location or design, I'm thinking) that has drastically altered their running characteristics to meet new EPA regs. The only thing I'd suggest, regardless of brand, is to get the full shield over the head. Everyone is going to these slim and trim guards and the user gets a nice plastering of clippings up the right side. Installing the full-guard completely stopped that. I have them on my Kombi and Echo.

I know this doesn't help your situation, but, this is where I'm at with HHs.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Between dad. b.i.l., and I we have had homelite, craftsman, eager beaver, etc, you name it built more than 15 years ago and we have tried it, but nothing has came close to Stihl and Stihl's quality.
We have not bought anything other than Stihl in the past 15 years, I have two units a FS85 and O29 farm boss that turned 14 years old last month and other than 1 spark plug each and a couple of air filters, string and chains, they still run like new.

2014 John Deere Z960R with 7 Iron Pro Deck

Stihl:
Chain Saws: 029 Farm Boss, MS291, MS391
Weed eaters: FS85R, FS110R, FS130R, FS250R
Polesaw: HT131
Leaf Blower: SG86

Honda:
(2) EU2000i Generators

Husqvarna
HU800WH 22" Self Propel Push Mower with Honda Engine
HU625HWT 22" Weed-eater on wheels.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl for trimmers, hands down. Husky for blowers, hands down.

I used to be the biggest die hard echo fan around....till I decided to diversify. Should have done it a long time ago. There is so much better out there than echo.

FYI my dealer says its so simple to adjust valves that they check and adjust every single stihl that comes in for no charge. Just something else to think about, if the valve thing has you on the fence.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
Stihl for trimmers, hands down. Husky for blowers, hands down.

I used to be the biggest die hard echo fan around....till I decided to diversify. Should have done it a long time ago. There is so much better out there than echo.

FYI my dealer says its so simple to adjust valves that they check and adjust every single stihl that comes in for no charge. Just something else to think about, if the valve thing has you on the fence.
Do you mean Husqvarna when you say Husky. I can't find anything Husky on my web search. I am having trouble finding a reliable blower. They get boggy on me in about a year. I have always been a echo guy. I did try sthil and Husqvarna. Sthil was did work good but the engine went after 3 years and went back to echo. now boggy again.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, husky=husqvarna

I bought a 580bts, couldnt be happier. My echo never got boggy, never did not start on the first pull...just one day would not start anymore. Tried changing all kinds of parts, nothing. Bought the husky, and of course one day I decided to randomly try the echo and it fired up first pull....anyways 580 bts has saved me so much time on my route its not even funny.

Tags
multi tools , recoomendations , sthil , trimmers