Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2003, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Anybody used Rubberific mulch?

It's being sold thru Lowe's now. So it must be pretty common.

I did a search and a couple of years ago Guido used some in a playground with good success.

Anybody else tried it?

Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Saw it at a trade show. I'm having a few people interested, what kind of price is the product. Does the co have a site for this product. I can't find one. Thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Am assuming this is a crumb rubber product. Playground application may be functional for safety. For aesthetics, crumb rubber stinks to me. For functionality in an ornamental landscape, run as fast as you can away from it!! You can't clean leaves out of it without removing a lot of it. It will move out into lawn areas, where you can never get rid of it.

Crumb rubber is a byproduct of tire recycling. Bagging it and using it for mulch is probably one of the highest dollar uses for it. And that is the only useful function - for the seller to make a buck, LOL. It's been tried in different markets for 20 years or more, and it never catches on. Just takes a few to try it and see what a mess it is.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I had put the rubber mulch around my entire landscape (the shredded type that looks identicle to black platinum mulch) about 3 years ago. It cost considerably more on the order of 3 times.

I have not been happier with it. It retains its color year round; I do not have to lay new mulch every year; it does not float away; it does not attract insects; it washes off and looks as good as new after spraying water on it; seems as though plants grow better in it since it keeps the ground temp warmer and better moisture.

I wish the company sold stock since int he next few years this stuff will really catch on!

JJM
Old 03-24-2003, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Here's the website for Rubberific;

http://www.rubberific.com/

Thanks for all the replies.

GroundKprs;
I don't think this is a crumb rubber product. I've seen some of that. Like the 4x8 mats that TSC sells to put in horse stalls etc.
I think this is a different process where they don't grind the rubber first. I think they shave it off in little strips. But I'm just guessing.

I'll go to Loew's in a few days and check out the price.

I'm looking for something kind of permanent to install behind an apartment so I don't have to trim so much around patios and air conditioner pads and such.

I can't use stone 'cause the kids that live there would have them all over the place.

I was figuring on using a plastic border and landscape fabric underlayment for the rubber mulch.

jjm ;
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping for the same kind of results.

Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

It Hurts

Rubber mulch is great, unless you have to edge it. Nothing like getting impaled with chunks of rubber.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used it on 3 jobs. About 9 or 10 ton total I like the product. Its very easy to use. Do use fabric... if not it will work its way in the ground over time. They were working on a spay here at the Fenton MO plant to lock it down. like a liquid plastic or something. So you could blow leaves etc. without disturbing it.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I customer I just picked up has it around their kids playground. She said the first time a kid from the neighborhood fell she was scared. But she said he got up with a smile. I felt it, pretty good for kids. She said they make alot of different colors also.
Just my .02 Travis
Old 03-24-2003, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dang guys

The whole point of a mulch is to feed the soil that feeds the plants. Mulch decomposing adds the organic matter that gets burned up every year. If you aren't doing something to add to the soil, then it declines with every passing season.