Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are interested in dual hydro get the snapper much cheaper than ferris. And practically the same.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So I finally got my Powerchute. I knew it wouldn't be a simple bolt on thing because there isn't a model that fits this machine. I order the same model that I had on my Turf Tracer because I was familiar with the way it mounted and knew I could make it work, I also ordered the toggle switch bracket.. A couple issues I had were the clearance between the edge of the deck and the frame. I had to do a few modifications to make it fit.

1. Drill 2 holes in the deck to bolt a piece of angle iron.
2. Cut and drill and notch out a piece of angle iron as a bracket.
3. Grind down the swing arm bracket to allow for full extension.
4. Had to rotate the motor unit and drill a new hole to secure the motor.
5. Had to trim down the chute guard by 2 inches on one side and likely a couple more on the other side.

Overall it only took a couple hours in the garage to get it all buttoned up and painted, secure the wires and toggle switch and everything. A couple things I still wanna do is maybe wrap up the bottom of the toggle switch connections since I have it exposed, on my Turf Tracer is was under the control panel. I'm very happy, get to use it tomorrow. Here a a ton of pictures.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More pictures of the powerchute. Picture one is of the holes I drill in the deck. Picture 2 is of the grinding I had to do to the swing arm bracket, and 3 is of the bracket I had to make. The rest are of the unit all mounted up and ready to rock.

Please feel free to comment or ask anything, I have yet to see a powerchute on a ferris hydrocut.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You did good work on the install. +1 on wrapping the toggle switch. Branches, etc. with damage those quickly. You might even consider wrapping the switch's cover as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Envy (from Latin invidia) is an emotion which occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it.

Nice job on the custom chute work!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My 36" Hydrocut has been the most reliable mower I've ever owned. You are right, the plastic chute sucks, but you can get a rubber chute kit which I believe is standard now.

This mower is great for limited use and relatively flat terrain. As a main mower, I would not have it as it fatigues your thumbs and wrists over the day. It's also not good for steep slopes or very rough terrain as it tends to bump-steer.

My biggest complaint is the length of the machine, the mower itself is short, but the handles have to set back to provide the operator steering leverage since this single-hydro can't turn on it's own. Still, a good machine, specially for the money.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 07-09-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, I'm really liking mine, the 36" has the plastic chute and the 32" comes with the rubber one, I just bought mine and the dealer had both there, the 36" is actually 4 inches shorter in length than the 32", I think the length is comparable to most walk'behinds. I might add a weight to the front, I find on the bumpy lawns I have to slow down a bit or apply upward pressure on the handles. I will likely make a metal plate and paint it and bolt to the front of the machine in-between the castors or something, overall it's a minor issue. Machine is cutting great and the powerchute was working great today, it actually mulches fairly well, it does leave a small trail of clipping which is normal and is much better than painting everything green or messing up my lines to avoid spraying grass on unwanted objects or areas. I will post some more pictures in a couple days.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the only stripe picture I have remembered to take so far.

The first picture is the stripes that are visible from last week after cutting it perpendicular this week.

Second picture is stripes from today.

I'm amazed that the stripes last a whole week, and that is on most lawns, not all. Machine is cutting great and striping good too, now that I got the OCDC rocking its great.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sigh. I gotta make a strip kit for my Ferris. My 21" and 30" Toros stripe better. (because of the flaps that drag on the grass)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Sigh. I gotta make a strip kit for my Ferris. My 21" and 30" Toros stripe better. (because of the flaps that drag on the grass)
Have you seen Toro's new striping setup for the 30's?