Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Clean Mower Deck

I have a Cub Cadet Z ForceS 48" Commercial with a power twin bag assembly. I just put new mower blades on and clean the heck out of the bottom of the deck. 10 hours of mowing later, some of the yards are bagging while others were just side throw, and the bottom of the deck was so full that it was not throwing from the far side anymore. Because of this issue, I can only get about 75 hours of use on a set of blades because the throwing edge is completely worn off (See Picture Below). So here is my question for you, what do you do or how do you keep the bottom of the mower decks clean?

I am considering making my employees clean them every day before they clock out but it takes about a hour and I don't want to pay another hour of labor for something like that! I am also considering just designing a power washer that you drive over and it'll clean the deck for you.

I need advice to see what some of you do out there.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hard to say, the detail in the pictures isn't there, something about that angle making the worn blade look smaller than the new one, I can't even see the far lift flap.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like either your mower has a problem or there's a design flaw in the deck if its that bad. My only idea would be stick the blower in the discharge chute after every lawn to get as much off as you can before it gets too bad. Otherwise get a different mower, an hour of saved labor each day will pay for a mower quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you are using a hand grinder grinding the edges off to much to me are you using one?

I can keep the edge right with hand grinder and angle, had to much cleanup work from greenhorns when I was welding fixing all their crappy welding, seeing their welds I was tot he point where I didn't even trust them to grind their own mistakes out since I was a finish welder on last job.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I am in ND also and the wet conditions this year have made the grass really sticky. I am having to scrape my decks every night and sometimes once during the day if mowing any tall grass and i am side discharging. i could imagine that with a bagger the grass stays under the deck longer and builds up faster. just my 2 cents. maybe clean em good and put some mo-deck spray on em would help somewhat.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Normal when conditions with wet grass, lush green grass. It will load up underneath the deck when mulching.

If I suspect that my mower will take a grass dump as soon as I stop the blades I will not stop them until the mower is on the trailer so as to not leave a grass dump on the customers lawns, driveway, street.

Hosing off the underside of the deck when needed is part of doing business.

You can wait till lawns are drier before mowing and ask customers on the day that you mow their lawn that they wait until after you mow their lawn. Will help reduce grass build up.

A: If you can not afford to pay the employees to do it then your prices are not where they should be.

B: You do not want to do it you are lazy.

C: You are to cheap to pay your employees to do their job the right way.

D: Any combination of the above.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it takes 5 min to clean out a mower deck not 1hr. drive up on the ramp of the trailer with the right front wheel barely on the trailer ramp and the left front wheel hanging off the side up in the air.

crawl under the mower and use a scraper and get all the crap out. you can also go to a spray and wash carwash place and spray it all out or use a pressure washer.

after you do it a few times you get the hang of it.

i do it at least once a week. if you mow in early morning dew alot or when the grass is wet from rain you may have to do it every single day.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it takes an hour to clean the deck then there is something wrong.

I change my blades out daily....clean the deck when the blades are off each time.

Blades off - 20 seconds
scrape the deck - 3-4 minutes
put fresh blades on 40 seconds.

All said and done, counting putting the mower on a jackstand, and getting the tools out...8 minutes. Even after mowing a overgrown field that is wet it hasn't taken close to that long to clean out the deck.

That is one serious problem.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

If you wait 75 hours to clean it that may be why it takes an hour. I clean mine once a week, it goes very fast.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just rinse my new Deere out with water hose after jobs are done for the day in driveway just dispose of it after it dries, if you let that crap set in the deck it starts rusting the shell, eating the paint coat off.

Using a high powered pressure washer will also bust the paint coat off.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)

Tags
blades wear out , clean deck , mower deck