Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Question about hauling equipment and debris

Hi,

I have a pickup with wood sides I use for junk removal, also doing yard work. Due to both services I unload all my yard equipment at home then go do a junk job. I know I should get a trailer for equipment and use the truck for hauling. One day I will have two trucks designated for each service. But I do see other landscapers with no trailer for equipment and all their equipment in the back. How do you haul away a load of yard waste, do you leave your mower etc. at a customers then go back for it, this is maybe a stupid question, just something i'm continuously pondering. I don't really like driving with a trailer, especially when I have to unload the truck, would I jackknife the trailer at the dump?
Just curious, don't want to crush my mower with a load of debris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
Hi,

I have a pickup with wood sides I use for junk removal, also doing yard work. Due to both services I unload all my yard equipment at home then go do a junk job. I know I should get a trailer for equipment and use the truck for hauling. One day I will have two trucks designated for each service. But I do see other landscapers with no trailer for equipment and all their equipment in the back. How do you haul away a load of yard waste, do you leave your mower etc. at a customers then go back for it, this is maybe a stupid question, just something i'm continuously pondering. I don't really like driving with a trailer, especially when I have to unload the truck, would I jackknife the trailer at the dump?
Just curious, don't want to crush my mower with a load of debris
Posted via Mobile Device
Its easier to back up a trailer with 2 axels than one. I look drunk with a 5x8 but am about perfect with my 18ft trailer. Also I do sometimes leave equipment at the customer if I am hauling away a massive load of debris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Back during the first venture I was with, we didnt have a trailer. We would have to leave the equipment at the clients home, then after making our trips to dump ...which was excessive and a huge time waste compared to buying a trailer.... we would load up and leave.

We didnt have high sides with the wood on it though, im sure that would of made a difference.

Personally I would say this industry requires you to have a trailer, even a basic one would work. Is your concern because you have never driven a trailer before? Trust me its easy, start with a small trailer around 10' long.

― Confucius

facebook: www.facebook.com/TamedLawn
Old 06-23-2014, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Its easier to back up a trailer with 2 axels than one. I look drunk with a 5x8 but am about perfect with my 18ft trailer. Also I do sometimes leave equipment at the customer if I am hauling away a massive load of debris
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank You,
So, you use your trailer for hauling debirs? And equipment in the truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You are burning the candle at both ends. If you want to be in the scrap metal business get a trailer to haul your material to be sold. If you want to continue to be in the landscaping business use the same trailer.
Your only kidding your self if you continue to work two jobs out of one truck. Once you have decided make your investment in a trailer and practice as much as possible in low or no traffic environments. When and if you have built up enough confidence pulling your trailer with your truck get to work.
Since your from BC your may want to check with any companies that sell trailers in advance to find out what rules and regulations you need to follow in advance of your purchase.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Loading the truck, leaving thr equipment, going to dump, then back to get equipment is a collosal waste of time. Time is money, and its money that would quickly pay for a trailer.
During regular mowing, my equipment is on the trailer, the clipping/trimmings are in the truck. When im done for the day, I drop he trailer at the house, then go to dump. If im full mid day, I take the trailer and drop it at the dump, then dump the load and re hook th trailer. Dropping and hooking a trailer isnt a major event. It takes 2 minutes once you get used to it and know how to line it up.

Driving with a trailer isnt a big deal as long as you are aware of it presence. Forget its back there and next thing you know, you're hitting stuff and hopping curbs. The longer the trailer, the easier it is back up. The worst I have had to back was a mobile air compressor behind a tandom axle dump truck. But longer trailers require more room when turning when going forward.

Get a trailer, its not difficult at all to drive.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Or separate your jobs. On mowing days.....we mow, nothing else. On landscaping days, we landscape, nothing else. This might mean seeing the same properties twice in one week, but the efficiency we have on those days more than makes up for the extra trip.

And still not rich

Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If necessary, I just drop the trailer at the dump. There should be enough room at most dump sites for a trailer to sit for 15 minutes or less.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
If necessary, I just drop the trailer at the dump. There should be enough room at most dump sites for a trailer to sit for 15 minutes or less.

I don't understand. How does taking a load to the dump and then leaving the trailer there help?

Also, what is this "lawn debris" everyone is speaking of?

mulcha mulcha mulcha mulch...

Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I don't understand. How does taking a load to the dump and then leaving the trailer there help?

Also, what is this "lawn debris" everyone is speaking of?

mulcha mulcha mulcha mulch...

Maybe I mis-worded what I meant. If you're closer to the dump than your shop, take the trailer to the dump, drop it, dump, hook it up, go home or wherever. No reason you should need to waste time going back to your shop just to drop the trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device