Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Selling Lawn Care Comp in Houston

Hi - I'm new to this site. I am looking for tips with selling my lawn care company based in Houston. We started it up in May of 2013 and have 436 active residential and commercial mow and go accounts. We've serviced around 1100 properties in the time frame. Our only service now is lawn mowing. I'm not looking for valuation suggestions, I am looking for ways to promote the business for sale.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how to help you, but I am interested in how you attained 1100 customers in 1 year. What kind of marketing did you use and why are you selling ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

haha - well, we are very much into aggressive marketing. ill be more than happy to share offline.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Call other lawn companies in you area; i'm only an hour from you and i often get accounts from other lawn service providers
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncarecohouston View Post
Hi - I'm new to this site. I am looking for tips with selling my lawn care company based in Houston. We started it up in May of 2013 and have 436 active residential and commercial mow and go accounts. We've serviced around 1100 properties in the time frame. Our only service now is lawn mowing. I'm not looking for valuation suggestions, I am looking for ways to promote the business for sale.

Thanks in advance!
yea, slightly over one full season, 436 active accounts, 1100 leads that generated billable work, without previous build up of WOM, reputation, or measurable preexisting market share?

Something smells like amsterdam in denmark.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
yea, slightly over one full season, 436 active accounts, 1100 leads that generated billable work, without previous build up of WOM, reputation, or measurable preexisting market share?

Something smells like amsterdam in denmark.
Actually 2000+ leads. 1100 signed up for service. With cancels, pauses, etc. We service 430+ accounts. Don't really care if you believe me. Maybe it's that we have enough money to spend heavily on all forms of marketing. Do a google search for lawn care in houston - look at the companies online. Our competition isn't really known for their marketing and branding skills. Either way, I didn't come here to prove anything. I came here for advice as I'm an absentee owner and am interested in learning about potential exits strategies. Thanks for the interest though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncarecohouston View Post
interested in learning about potential exits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad news, you're too late on the exit strategy. Best advice ever, begin with the end in mind. Translation: know who (a few targets) is going to cash you out when the time comes. Getting to the end and standing there asking, now what, is way too late.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Efficiency. My initial objective (and this is still the current mindset) is to keep, grow, and develop great passive income. We've successfully started, grown, and sold many businesses in different industries. I am finding that with lawn care there are guys that either - dont have any money, arent very business savvy (not in a bad way - just focus on cutting grass more than growing a business), are too concerned with the mow-and-go strategy due to turnover, or are more interested in a company with many income streams (pool, pest, landscaping, etc). I was just curious to learn thoughts of others in the industry.