Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for reply, your work is top notch.... another question. Set stones, lay fbric behind and on top, then set next row? Also backfilling and compacting as you go? I want to attempt one of these in near future if oppurtunity presents itself. Not a fan of block walls. Obviously would only attempt several small ones before I ever considered anything with some height to it. Again thx for your time and the great pics
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What do you do behind the wall besides put fabric?
nice pictures
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
Thanks for reply, your work is top notch.... another question. Set stones, lay fbric behind and on top, then set next row? Also backfilling and compacting as you go? I want to attempt one of these in near future if oppurtunity presents itself. Not a fan of block walls. Obviously would only attempt several small ones before I ever considered anything with some height to it. Again thx for your time and the great pics
Pretty much. I set my rocks a certain way so I don't get stuck with trying to find a specific rock that will fit. There are certain shapes I stay away from because they are a pain to fill as I go up. I also stack 2-3 rocks on top of eachother before I backfill depending on size of the rocks. It makes laying fabric out nicer, I don't use as much and there are less fabric joints/breaks. I don't want to give away all my secrets because it's taken me years to figure them out but those are some good pointers... esp the one about rock shapes. I used to spend 20 minutes trying to find a rock to fit. Now its a minute or less on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
What do you do behind the wall besides put fabric?
nice pictures
Depends on the engineered plan. Some walls have geo grid in them if there will be a load bearing structure sitting on or near it and putting pressure on the face of the wall.

Some more pictures from that job

Slot dozing with the T770! Worked pretty well actually

The regular cab that was clean for 12 hours or so

Last edited by Cornell; 06-28-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some from the ipad:

Old 06-28-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great looking work! Any idea what that 235 is burning an hour in fuel?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Great looking work! Any idea what that 235 is burning an hour in fuel?
Posted via Mobile Device
With walls it's really dependent on what I'm doing. Setting base with 7' rocks and in power mode I'm at about 4.7 gallons an hour but I average 3.5-3.8 usually. 84.5 gallon tank and I fill it every 2 12 hour days but its not completely empty, rarely idling.

Setting top row with smaller rocks I need to be delicate and I drop RPMs down to 1650 and it sips fuel then.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you using Ridgid LED lightbars or the cheap-o ebay ones? Also do you do that much work at night that you need the LED lights?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Totally understand about not wanting to give any secrets. The pointers are greatly appreciated! Keep up the great work you seem like a class act! Thanks again bud
Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
Are you using Ridgid LED lightbars or the cheap-o ebay ones? Also do you do that much work at night that you need the LED lights?
They are totron brand, I have 7 of their bars and none of them have let me down yet. In the fall we work late and the sun sets pretty early. The lights that come on the machines standard don't cut it for building walls at night or in low light.

Company paid less (about half) to equip all of our excavators with LED bars than it would have cost to install the Doosan's factory light package on just the DX235. That included the 30" bar on top and 2 6" cubes to replace the halogens on the boom on all 3 machines. If I get a wild hair I might replace the cubes on the front of the machines too. For now 18,000 lumens is enough light. Also I compared my Totron bar to a Rigid bar my buddy paid 5x more for and from my inspection the optics are a little different but there is still a ton of light from these "cheapies". Not worth it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
Totally understand about not wanting to give any secrets. The pointers are greatly appreciated! Keep up the great work you seem like a class act! Thanks again bud
Thanks! Some things will just come to you. Another thing... don't just think about the boulder you are setting but think about 5-7 boulders ahead depending on the selection you have. Some people just have an eye for it, or so I'm told.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Two things: Pics of the LED lights on...and any new videos coming out? Miss the youtube videos you put up.