Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Awesome thread, love all the pics. Few questions.
What do you use to haul all that equipment?
What lazer/gps system do you use keep your walls level? Or is it all talent?
Did you ever use a dozer to backfill?

Thanks.
We have a 50k pound triaxle and a Ford L9000 for the Bobcats and DX85/DX180, we have one of our our Boulder guys haul our DX235 for now on his low boy. It doesn't move much as it goes to the bigger jobs now so its there for weeks and weeks.

I used the Mass ex guy's Trimble GPS once on each wall for a benchmark for my trench for the walls around that ped tunnel; after that no. The SRW guys have a laser/stick for their trenches and walls for grade but I am within a 1/4"-1/2" whether I use the laser or not so for me it's a waste of time. I don't carry a laser with me. Usually just look at my stakes and I can get as close as they can with the laser. As for top of wall I use the grapple to measure as I go because I know different dimensions on each Towtem. Then I don't have to get out and pull tape, I just use the machine. If something has to be closer than 1/4" I have another way of doing it but that's a secret I don't want to give out right now.

I've watched other boulder companies during lunch when they were working near by to see what they do different since I was bored. Usually they have about 2-4 guys where usually I work alone unless there is a ton of backfilling and packing to do. We work a lot differently TBH, kind of interesting.

Never used a Dozer to backfill. I've only run a dozer a handful of times and it had nothing to do with building walls.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. Might be the beer talking but come on its a Dozer, lol, sorry inside joke for me.

I think I catch your drift with the grade stakes, did some road building with the Army, but if you were closer it would be just awesome to watch (only what a operator can appreciate).

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Using the old hand held eyelevel for short distance stuff work okay a lot of the times.Just need to know what your grade needs to be off your bench mark.Can use grade stakes and set on the machine and shot back on your grade stakes,just need to know what height you are when setting on the machine.Use to do this on waterways with grade stakes.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys do some amazing work! Those machines look really nice with the tinted cabs, and your buddies Ram looks nice with those rims.
We are looking at a T-650 with 350hrs for $33k, think its a good deal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Construct'O View Post
Using the old hand held eyelevel for short distance stuff work okay a lot of the times.Just need to know what your grade needs to be off your bench mark.Can use grade stakes and set on the machine and shot back on your grade stakes,just need to know what height you are when setting on the machine.Use to do this on waterways with grade stakes.
I don't use an eyelevel either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
You guys do some amazing work! Those machines look really nice with the tinted cabs, and your buddies Ram looks nice with those rims.
We are looking at a T-650 with 350hrs for $33k, think its a good deal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems like a pretty good deal. We got our fully loaded S770 with ISO/H for 42k with like 24 hrs on it.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you put between the boulders after the wall is finished? Is there any kind of mortar or expanding foam or anything like you would use when building a waterfall? aka "waterfall foam"

BTW great work keep the pics coming. Tried to find your youtube channel but didn't have any luck. Really enjoy seeing your work!

Also have you ever drawn any interest from any of the heavy equipment or construction magazines wanting to do a story about the unique kind of work you do? I can't imagine there are too many boulder wall builders running around.

Last edited by Bleed Green; 07-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
Tried to find your youtube channel but didn't have any luck. Really enjoy seeing your work!
https://www.youtube.com/user/Cornell0889/videos
Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
What do you put between the boulders after the wall is finished? Is there any kind of mortar or expanding foam or anything like you would use when building a waterfall? aka "waterfall foam"

BTW great work keep the pics coming. Tried to find your youtube channel but didn't have any luck. Really enjoy seeing your work!

Also have you ever drawn any interest from any of the heavy equipment or construction magazines wanting to do a story about the unique kind of work you do? I can't imagine there are too many boulder wall builders running around.
Nope, the fabric if done correctly retains all the soil. I've gone back to a few walls where there was massive amounts of water going over it and added concrete above to stop the backfill from washing over the wall.

I've always wanted to to a water feature but never have gotten the chance. I was supposed to do a 10' waterfall last year but the client had to finish the house first.

As for magazines I wouldn't have any idea where to start or who to contact. I met the regional Doosan rep at a lunch at Lano this spring and he couldn't believe the niche we have and it being a majority of our work load. Besides that we're incredibly busy so I'm not sure I'd have time ATM.

Next wall dug out:

Little wall on the other side and dealing with a water drainage issue:

and the redi rock wall the other crew is building; 11 courses when done.

and more rain:

Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rained out again today

A wall I did late last fall but I broke my phone and lost all those pictures.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Love this truck.

Found a soft spot

Dug out the goop

Little wall I did today. Before/after

Also did a little clearing for them

Had the S770 today