Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for experiences with grass species introduced to shaded areas in Tiffway 419

I have 8000 square foot of Tiffway 419 Bermuda in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. The grass is cut to 3/8" at the beginning of the year and then maintained between 3/4 and 1 inch in the peak season. It is fertilized following the OSU extension office's suggested program.
I have two issues in an otherwise very healthy lawn that I would like to hear suggestions on. The first being small areas at the base of the fence and around flower beds that don't get enough sun to grow properly. The second is a "dog area" to the east of the home that suffers from both low light exposure and typical urine spotting. I am hoping to remedy the dog issue with the install of a center sand pit in the dog area bordered with grass. My goal in this posting is to hear suggestions and experiences with the introduction of other Bermuda and possibly Zoysia species into a tiff lawn to remedy low light exposed areas. I have access to Meyer, Matrella, El Toro, and Z-52 Zoysia, along with access to most sod and seeded Bermuda.
What do you know?

Thanks, T
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmosely1 View Post
I have 8000 square foot of Tiffway 419 Bermuda in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. The grass is cut to 3/8" at the beginning of the year and then maintained between 3/4 and 1 inch in the peak season. It is fertilized following the OSU extension office's suggested program.
I have two issues in an otherwise very healthy lawn that I would like to hear suggestions on. The first being small areas at the base of the fence and around flower beds that don't get enough sun to grow properly. The second is a "dog area" to the east of the home that suffers from both low light exposure and typical urine spotting. I am hoping to remedy the dog issue with the install of a center sand pit in the dog area bordered with grass. My goal in this posting is to hear suggestions and experiences with the introduction of other Bermuda and possibly Zoysia species into a tiff lawn to remedy low light exposed areas. I have access to Meyer, Matrella, El Toro, and Z-52 Zoysia, along with access to most sod and seeded Bermuda.
What do you know?

Thanks, T
My company is based in Oklahoma City so maybe my experience will be valuable as I am familiar with local turf grasses. We also work closely with OSU and their suggested best practices.

Typically when we have a customer who wants to keep their Bermuda but has shade areas we will suggest establishing a stand of fescue in the shaded areas. It sounds like you have a well maintained lawn if you are able to cut it that short, which is excellent. Given that you are able to cut your Bermuda (tiff) this short, you should be able to make a very clean distinguishable break line between the sunny (tiff, 3/4") turf and the shady (fescue, 2-3") turf.

Some people hate the idea of cutting at two different heights but personally I think it looks great if it is done well. It's very important to spray the Bermuda out completely (usually two rounds with a scalp and heavy fertilizer application between the first and second round) before seeding or sodding with fescue because when the two are mixed it doesn't look as clean or professional.

Any shady areas where the tiff isn't as dense as it should be should be killed and then replaced with fescue.

Zoysia works well for shade and sun but spreads with stolons and rhizomes and is nearly impossible to keep from mixing with the tiff over the course of a season or two. And if you're like me, two types of healthy turf grass with different textures looks like a yard full of weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll post some pictures when I get home if I remember.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's a pic of the front to give you an idea and there's one of the fence area..
Name:  Front 06212014.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  East Side of Fence.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  101.5 KB
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those are such small areas - I would simply seed the problem areas with fescue on the first of September and throw some peat moss on top. Water 3 times a day for three weeks for a few minutes per zone - probably 4 minutes if they are sprays, 7 minutes if they are rotors. Just to keep it damp.
Posted via Mobile Device