Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo operation-commercial or residential?

I'm 95% residential right now. Half mowing, half fert/squirt. I've got some room to grow. As a solo operation (I think I might prefer to stay solo) should I go after commercial accounts or keep adding on the residentials? I'm thinking about going after a couple commercial accounts for 2015, but I'm worried property managers aren't going to give a solo guy much of a look. Plus I know HOA's can be a headache. If I'm planning on staying solo should I go after these properties or would residential customers be more profitable and reliable?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

As solo guy as well in the world of business its whoever is cheapest. Ive done the bidding and the homework and i was actually out bid by $5. Its frustrating but if you get in good then your golden. I going to bid some big commercial since i have two ztrs to keep busy. The residents are nice but it always a 50/50 game at the beginning of the year.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial tend to be cheap skates. Stick to residental if you want to make money
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybow View Post
Commercial tend to be cheap skates. Stick to residental if you want to make money
What is that statement based on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How about trying to land some commercial fert and squirts first? If they like your work they might give you a chance to bid on the rest of it.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
How about trying to land some commercial fert and squirts first? If they like your work they might give you a chance to bid on the rest of it.
Never thought of that. Are there really a lot of properties out there that have a different company do the fertilizing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Never thought of that. Are there really a lot of properties out there that have a different company do the fertilizing?
Posted via Mobile Device
No
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a mixed bag here as there are several strong players in the fert biz including some locals. Heck, it is worth a shot. What can you lose by asking?

Whiffy is correct though, many of the larger outfits do it all including fertilizer.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethanslawn View Post
As solo guy as well in the world of business its whoever is cheapest. Ive done the bidding and the homework and i was actually out bid by $5. Its frustrating but if you get in good then your golden. I going to bid some big commercial since i have two ztrs to keep busy. The residents are nice but it always a 50/50 game at the beginning of the year.
Do you run into people that are hesitant to hire you because you're solo?

I sometimes make it seem that I have employees to avoid that problem. Not really a lie, I do have a couple guys that help on the side but I'm alone 99% of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
It is a mixed bag here as there are several strong players in the fert biz including some locals. Heck, it is worth a shot. What can you lose by asking?

Whiffy is correct though, many of the larger outfits do it all including fertilizer.
What you may try doing is working with a larger maintenance company that isn't licensed for apps. Therefore that would allow them to go after more properties that require apps in their contract.

You would basically do the work and collect a check. Property owners usually don't fool with splitting contracts up
Posted via Mobile Device