Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

This was never meant to be a full-time job for any of the workers. Each person won't get to do dozens of lawns, but they could eventually do 4 or 5.
I've found that teenagers in my area spend most of their money on gas and food. If one is smart about one's budget, 4 or 5 lawns on a weekly basis in the summer is enough to cover spending money for the year (keeping in mind that this is an upscale community in which most parents pay for clothes, school supplies, etc.). Additionally, many high schoolers in my area also have part-time jobs elsewhere.
Though my workers won't get to work as many hours as they might want to, the simple fact is that NO ONE pays better than I do. Let's say one of my workers does three lawns. That is about $50 (usually a little more) per week. For 12 weeks of summer, that is $600 for approximately 30 hours of work, which would be $20 an hour.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fair enough. Makes sense. I will toss out the fear of having those kids within walking distance to these houses and just cutting you out of the whole process to make all the money...

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-01-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So after they pay 3-500 for an insurance binder, gas, repairs etc. what's left for their wage?

When I was a teen I worked for another lco, used their equipment and was making over $300 per week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnandorder2013 View Post
You, valuable worker, will be mowing a lawn that is 2 minutes walking distance from your house. Including the time it takes to walk there and back, the job will take you 45 minutes. And I will pay you $15 to do it. That is $20 an hour, over double what you could make at any other job. And I'll pay you in cash whenever you would like.

I will come over to the yard to trim later that day. I strictly evaluate the quality of your work based on my standards. Since you have already demonstrated your ability to mow properly and efficiently, this should not be an issue.

Not just anyone could mow for my business. I pay more for better workers, and you, my friend, have what it takes.
So after you pay me you still have to come by to trim, edge, and blow. That just just took what little if any profit was left and your still doing the bulk of the work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Sponsor

I think this has to be the longest wind up thread I have ever read on this site. If the OP is not laughing himself silly yet I am getting closer with every reply.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-01-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Truth is stranger than fiction. Nothing on this forum surprises me anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You aren't providing any value for a teen to sign up. You would need to pony up the money for the mowers. I would have never worked for you and I doubt my parents would be too encouraging. They would rather buy me a push-mower and keep all the profits.

I lived in an upscale community during high school and live in one now. You are right in the people love the idea of a hard working kid and are forgiving up until something goes wrong. You then become target instead of a happy go lucky kid.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I think this has to be the longest wind up thread I have ever read on this site. If the OP is not laughing himself silly yet I am getting closer with every reply.
easy-lift guy
I have to agree, it's season, I have a h-ll of a lot more profitable things to do with my time
Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a better idea. What about having crackheads mow lawns? I could leave a small rock at every lawn...so they're sure to show up...right? I could come behind them and tidy up all the spots they missed, then collect all the checks and get rich...minus the property they damaged. Sounds like a sound business plan to me....
Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

But what if their mower runs over the crack rock? Then no one's happy, especially the homeowner who has crack rock bits all over his or her lawn. Then their dog gets addicted to crack, and things just go downhill from there.
Closed Thread

Tags
growth , model , plan , teen , teenager