Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 PM
RobD70 RobD70 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Marathon, WI
Posts: 18
Post Hole Digging Rate

I am getting a new land pride 3 point post hole digger to add to my collection of implements and plan to do some work on the side with it to. How do you guys charge for doing post holes? Is it by the hour or by the hole? I am getting 9" and 12" augers, along with the hydraulic down pressure kit. I am in central Wisconsin.

Thanks

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Does your tractor have ground speed Pto If doesn't that going suck if you stick the auger in the hole
Most of the time I charge by the hour or by the job

Why would you want down pressure on a 3 point auger
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 AM
RobD70 RobD70 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Marathon, WI
Posts: 18
I did some research online and asked a few offline and all highly recommend the down pressure kit. You can drill into sandy or averag type soil ad it is easy going, then you can hit the hard packed clay soil or real rocky soil and the auger can just sit there and not penetrate to far becasue you only have the weight of the post hole digger for down force on the soil thats hard to dril into. The down pressure kit helps make it so you can drill into it and get the job done. It mounts right on the post hole digger and hooks to the remotes on my tractor. Here in WI, you can go from a sandy soft soil, to a firm clay heavy soil to that clay loaded with rocks that is a pain to dig in or work with, so I felt it was best to be safe and get the down pressure kit with the post hole digger.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Does your tractor have ground speed Pto If doesn't that going suck if you stick the auger in the hole
Most of the time I charge by the hour or by the job

Why would you want down pressure on a 3 point auger
How would a ground speed pto affect an auger? That's something that never really caught on and isn't popular at all...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
How would a ground speed pto affect an auger? That's something that never really caught on and isn't popular at all...
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't think of any ag application that would have an advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I can't think of any ag application that would have an advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device
It was believed to be helpful for manure spreaders and seeders. But like I said it never caught on
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
How would a ground speed pto affect an auger? That's something that never really caught on and isn't popular at all...
Posted via Mobile Device
Well if you stick it in the ground If the tractor has Ground speed PTO You can jack one wheel off the ground lock the brake on the other side Put in reverse and you will back auger out of the ground
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,288
It's not 1970 anymore. Things have advanced lol. I pull a lever and lower the auger, then pull it back and it comes up

I don't think I've ever actually came across a tractor that has ground speed pto
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD70 View Post
I did some research online and asked a few offline and all highly recommend the down pressure kit. You can drill into sandy or averag type soil ad it is easy going, then you can hit the hard packed clay soil or real rocky soil and the auger can just sit there and not penetrate to far becasue you only have the weight of the post hole digger for down force on the soil thats hard to dril into. The down pressure kit helps make it so you can drill into it and get the job done. It mounts right on the post hole digger and hooks to the remotes on my tractor. Here in WI, you can go from a sandy soft soil, to a firm clay heavy soil to that clay loaded with rocks that is a pain to dig in or work with, so I felt it was best to be safe and get the down pressure kit with the post hole digger.
You run one you wont want down pressure on a tractor The Auger bit will dig its self Sometimes it will suck its self down
I have drilled in mostly clay or lime stone never needed down pressure
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Gr8WhiteNorth Gr8WhiteNorth is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manitoba, canada
Posts: 344
I've encountered tough auguring conditions on random jobs. Best thing you can do is hourly rate. Or make sure if you know if your digging in an old gravel pit or rocky native soil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.08363 seconds with 9 queries