Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Backpack Sprayer-Broadleaf Control/Rates

Hi all-
I am a licensed applicator in grounds management at a private college. I do not have a ton of application experience outside of applying glyphosate and Snapshot coming from the commercial installation side of the business. Recently calibrated my new Lesco (Solo) 4G backpack sprayer and arrived at approximately 400 SF coverage per gallon using two different methods which was about 2.5 times less than some other comments on older threads. Looking to apply Lesco 3-Way Selective on a spot basis for clover/dandelions in tall fescue. Any reccomendations on rates per gallon? I came up with .67 oz per gallon based on my calibrations and calculations. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Repeat your calibration run with water measured very carefully. Add one gallon. Spray a square area of concrete. Use a uniform swath width. Time yourself with a stop watch. When the gallon has been applied--measure the square feet covered carefully. Use a 100 foot steel tape if possible--otherwise use a measuring wheel. Do not use excess pressure--only chemistry kills weeds--not pressure. Repeat until you are within 10 percent each time. Time yourself on grass also as you may walk a bit slower in tall grass.
Typical results are closer to 2000 sqft per gallon. For best results us a constant pressure valve or put a pressure gauge on the hose. Try to stay at about 10 to 15 pounds pressure.
http://www.gemplers.com/search/constant+pressure+valve
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Riggle
I saw your comments on an older thread regarding SF which tipped me off. I ran the same calibration test using a known volume with an adjustable brass tip delivering about an 8" swath on some old porous concrete so potentially over delivering/overlapping in attempt to "wet" that surface. Directions for the Three Way said to avoid a mist so kept the stream coarse without pouring it on. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No need to keep the spray coarse if you are close to the ground ( say about 12 inches high), and its not windy. Naturally, you will be very careful around tomato plants and grape vines. Keep the pressure low to avoid generating much mist.

This is a self-correcting mistake. When you have had to replace a couple grape vines and tomato plants--not to mention profuse apologies and a customer cancellation--you will remember to be careful. The Department of Agriculture officer will not have to remind you.

Naturally the government requires those warnings on the label, but they are mainly thinking about high pressure 12 nozzle boom sprayers in open corn fields with a grape vineyard downwind.

Maybe this requires an experiment. How close can I spray to a tomato plant without affecting it? I may have to grow or purchase my own tomatoes in pots. Suppose I place them at 12 inch intervals, and spray two plants while trying not to affect plants 12 inches away. Would ester be any different. Do I need a fan to simulate wind?
What do you think the results would be?

Clearly, when I sprayed the clover with a fine mist--I did not affect the clover that was 12 inches away. Dandelions downwind remained healthy.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a tee jet 8006 tip and walk slow and I get approx. a gallon per 1000 sq ft