Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience working with Scott's Lawn Service?

Anyone have experience working with or using Scott's Lawn Service? They offered me a salary position, however I have read some bad reviews online.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't LawnSite member Hissing Cobra work for them for many years with great success?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Id be interested in hearing about this company as well. They call me 2-3 times a year wanting me to do chemical and fertilizer applications. Its salary + commission on any upsales or selling to neighbors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2015, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

It's terrible I worked for them s few years ago to get my pesticides license and what a joke if the customer canceled due to the sales reps you get charged back and that kills your checks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Donlebr;5223305]It's terrible I worked for them s few years ago to get my pesticides license and what a joke if the customer canceled due to the sales reps you get charged back and that kills your checks
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

Isn't that illegal? You did the work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for scotts lawn service a year ago. Its a very fast paced and high stress job for the money. I received a salary of $500 per week and got a commission for any sales I made while out in the field.

What I liked about the job vs being in business for myself is I had a steady paycheck and they have a great retirement 401 program. I could go to work daily and have a route and all I had to do was hop in the truck and go after syncing my computer (loaded material day before when got back to the shop).

What I didn't like was not being able to take the time to talk to customers because of being under high stress to get lawns done. So if someone answered the door it could mean you have to work saturday because there goes 5 minutes talking to a customer. That's a lawn that could of been done. I also didn't like the idea of spraying weed control in the rain and neither did the customers. Also a lot of times new customers weren't educated at all which is fine since I enjoy and love talking about lawn care BUT a lot of times they expected a miracle with one application and its usually due to them signing up from a door to door sales and the salesman probably told them "We can get your lawn looking great! One treatment and you'll see it looking much better!". And in reality its all weeds and after I spray the lawn its going to look bare after all the weeds die off and they'll need core aeration and seeding in the fall.

Would I do it again? Yes I would. Owning a business is a lot of headache and the stability was great. Would I plan to work there as a career. No because theres not a lot of advancement opportunities. Service manager is the next step and at least in the branch where I was at theres 20 other techs that want the service manager position IF it came available. Also I didn't like how your not hired "full time" onto the company until 36 weeks. That's a long time to know if you have a stable job or not. I made sure my goal was met and only worked two saturdays because they were mandatory and not because I didn't meet my goal and made sure my lawns in my route looked the best and after 8 months I still wasn't hired full time.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was once told that the techs are expected to spray 400-500 gallons a day. Any truth? That's quantity over quality
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2015, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

in general they are worse than children I work for TruGreen for a long time and I work for Scotts for a small amount of time...the last time I worked with Scott they wanted their average technician to produce about 1300 to 1400 dollars a day.....so yes you could very easily take out on 550 gallons
Posted via Mobile Device