Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Upgrading trailers....

Should have listened the first time, but I was hard headed. Rather then buying the biggest I could afford, I bought a 6x8 utility trailer and out grew it within two months. I just put my order in for this one this weekend! Comes with the trimmer racks, locking box, fuel can holder, and water cooler holder.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll outgrow that too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Everyone's first trailer should be a 6' x 14'.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What size is that 6 x 8 1/2?
You'll be sorry.
I wouldn't have a trailer with a single axle. OK I do have a motorcycle trailer with one axle
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What the others have said you'll outgrow that too... Trailers will last for years... Lots of years if you take care of them if you plan on growing within the next 10 years get the biggest you think you'll need and I would say no smaller then a 14 ft or 16 ft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a 6x12. I highly doubt I'll outgrow this one, at least within the next two years. I'll be able to fit both walk behinds, the 30" Turf Master, and a 21". I will rarely carry the 21". The most used walk behind will be on one side. The least used walk behind on the other side. And the 30" Turf Master parked directly behind the least used walk behind. Some will probably laugh, but I don't want to pull a big trailer, especially with the limited space in our driveway and my truck being high mileage. If I can fit two walk behinds, my 30", and a 21" on occasion, I think I'll be set being solo. I'm on the toss up about hiring one helper next year, yet I will have plenty of room to fit the needed equipment on the 6x12. Especially being that the gas can holders are on the external side, the blowers won't be taking up trailer bed space, nor any other parts or small things be taking some space. 6x12 is just about what I was looking for, I will need to add a line spool holder.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd suggest having them add a spare tire holder. I would suck to have a flat and have to leave all your gear and that trailer on the side of the road.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I'd suggest having them add a spare tire holder. I would suck to have a flat and have to leave all your gear and that trailer on the side of the road.

I really thought about that. They have a good deal on the trailer, but it seems like their quick to tack on extra expenses and their proud of the extras if you know what I'm saying? I could always grab a spare to put in the bed of the truck underneath my truck box. A spare would slide right under there. Better yet, I have an impact in the box, I'm sure it would pull off them trailer tires. One of these days I'm going to get me a lighter floor jack. I carry a floor jack and boy is that thing a TANK and built TANK HEAVY.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Everyone's first trailer should be a 6' x 14'.
And everyone should be as ruggedly handsome as me, but they're not.

If I had a 14' trailer, our car couldn't get around the truck to get out of the driveway. I have a 5x8 - If I get a bigger trailer, I'm going to need to have the chain link fence for the back yard moved back and extend the driveway (which will look stupid) so I can accommodate the extra truck/trailer length.

I hate being limited like that, but it is what it is, so I deal with it.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started with a 10. then a 14 now a 16 and wish I had a 20. Prob need a 30 ft by times end.