Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

New guy in Texas

Well I always come here to read up on peoples reviews of products, and just random topics, so figured I would join and jump in on some of these.

My business was kind of started 8 years ago by my dad. I followed him to Verizon, then he retired, moved away and started mowing a few lawns just for something to do. In this meantime, Verizon was going from the big change of GTE to Verizon and what I was seeing and experiencing, I wasn't enjoying anymore. So the company had been doing lay-off's for a few years, and finally they gave a retirement package to get some of the older senior guys to leave to make room for us younger guys to take the helm. Well that didn't work, so they opened the retirement package to company wide, and that is when I threw my name in the hat. So at the age of 32 I left with all my retirement I have built up with the company.

So took a year off, and enjoyed myself. Casually I would throw my name in with a company looking for a job, but really wasn't trying. I was to the point that I was sick of going to a job, working for a guy fresh out of college that knows nothing of the industry, but he gets to tell me how I am supposed to do my job.

So that brought me to a night having a few beers with the friends that brought a good idea to my head. So the next day I called my dad, and told him I was coming down and had something I wanted to discuss with him. Got down here, pitched my idea of taking what he was doing for fun and turning it into a actual business. We agreed on some terms on how things would work, and other things fell into place after we started it up. But we agreed this could be a good thing, and I got to work on all the state paperwork. Got the DBA all set up, got all business aspects from the state side taken care of, then off we went.

So now that I am boring you with how we got started:

Equipment:
When I first pitched this idea he was using a 42 inch Home Depot John Deere mower (steering wheel), and a 2007 Gravely Compact Pro 34 ZTR. as for hand tools, he had one weed eater, an edger from the 60's, and a hand held blower (you could bend down and blow on the grass clipping to make it mover faster).

Properties:
We are still a small company, but not as small as when we started this. When the idea was pitched, he was mowing about 6 properties every two weeks and none were over 1/4 acre.

Services:
He was strictly mowing, blowing and going. There was nothing special about what was being done that any home owner couldn't do if they wanted.

Here is where I am at now:

Equipment:
07 Gravely Compact Pro 34 (The first mower of the business)
12 Gravely Commercial 21 (2)
12 Gravely Pro-Turn 260
14 Gravely Pro-Turn 252
14 Gravely Pro-Stance 36
14 Gravely Pro-Stance 61
14 Gravely Pro-Walk 32
Then all fertilization equipment is through John Deere Landscapes.
Then all my equipment for my special needs such as aeration for example.
All hand tools are now commercial grade Stihl products.

Properties:
Now I am running about 50 properties either on weekly or bi-weekly schedules, and most properties are 1/2 acre of over. Some growth but I want a lot more. There is a lot more possible for next year as I have connections in the metro-plex pushing my services up there. Got to love real estate brokers.

Services:
Now I offer weekly and bi-weekly maintenance, fertilization, weed control, pesticides, over-seeding, aeration, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

To this point you got my list above. Everything I do and own is fully insured. I am now a licenses Texas Commercial Applicator in the area of ornamental and turf. I have business accounts with Gravely, Stihl, John Deere Landscapes, and King Ranch Turf Grass.

So what I said above has taken place in just barely over 3 seasons. With this company being in such a small town, I think that is pretty good growth. But as I said above, people are pushing me in the big cities for next season taking care of all there fertilization and chemical needs. When I see how that feels, I will most likely push for the weekly maintenance of these yards and give the clients a one stop shop for all there lawn care needs. Or that is at least the plan.

So that ended up to be to much about me. Haha