Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:42 AM
eastsidelandcare eastsidelandcare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
I've been a chicken with my head cut off for the entire 7 years of my business. I make a little bit every year but nothing close to enough to make it worth working this hard. I plan on breaking down my bids more carefully. Making damn sure a good profit is made on everything we do. If I don't get the job because they think its too high so be it. More work close to home as well. Simplify. Now if I can just figure out how to have better cash flow in the spring.
I think the best advice I have ever gotten is "you have to RUN the business, not BE the business if you want to grow and make money." Even if you cannot afford to NOT be the business right now, you have to set aside time to run the business so you can work your way out of being it. IMO

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Locqus's Avatar
Locqus Locqus is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 591
^^ Good advice.
__________________
Paul Proctor
www.Locqus.com
Paul@Locqus.com
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidelandcare View Post
I think the best advice I have ever gotten is "you have to RUN the business, not BE the business if you want to grow and make money." Even if you cannot afford to NOT be the business right now, you have to set aside time to run the business so you can work your way out of being it. IMO

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Well said! I'm having some troubles now and have been going back and forth on some things. Your quote has helped me a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM
hudsonhawk hudsonhawk is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidelandcare View Post
I think the best advice I have ever gotten is "you have to RUN the business, not BE the business if you want to grow and make money." Even if you cannot afford to NOT be the business right now, you have to set aside time to run the business so you can work your way out of being it. IMO

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
I've heard that before too. This business and some customers will run you into the ground if you don't take time to run the business
Often is better to take a day in the office to see how things are going.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:44 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidelandcare View Post
I think the best advice I have ever gotten is "you have to RUN the business, not BE the business if you want to grow and make money." Even if you cannot afford to NOT be the business right now, you have to set aside time to run the business so you can work your way out of being it. IMO

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Im so sick of that saying, make me want to fart everytime I read it.

Not to bash you, because its a common on this site.

Had the OP been working his business properly the materals would have been ready for the job and the thread would have never been posted.

Its such a generalized statement that means absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 PM
eastsidelandcare eastsidelandcare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 15
Just because a saying is very common doesn't make it useless. Quite frankly doing a lawn service is a minimum wage job. If you want to be "IN" the business then you can expect to make minimum wage. If you want to "RUN" a lawn service you can make MUCH more. Choice is up to the individual...

Lonnie,
Eastside LandCare
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,497
Kind of like going to a used car lot, "the car is real clean" ...........so did you just wash it???
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Im so sick of that saying, make me want to fart everytime I read it.

Not to bash you, because its a common on this site.

Had the OP been working his business properly the materals would have been ready for the job and the thread would have never been posted.

Its such a generalized statement that means absolutely nothing.
Pretty easy to be an armchair quarterback Larry when the only person you have to manage is yourself

Even the best of us have days where we can't tell whether we're coming or going, especially when managing multiple crews/ jobs
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Pretty easy to be an armchair quarterback Larry when the only person you have to manage is yourself

Even the best of us have days where we can't tell whether we're coming or going, especially when managing multiple crews/ jobs
Posted via Mobile Device
I hire people all the time to do stuff for me, I just get confused about the popular saying "work on your business, not in your business". Its all one in the same. And by your own admission your working your azz off, just like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
eastsidelandcare eastsidelandcare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I hire people all the time to do stuff for me, I just get confused about the popular saying "work on your business, not in your business". Its all one in the same. And by your own admission your working your azz off, just like the rest of us.
Not looking to be offensive Larry but I think the fact that you are working your azz off is consistent with you not understanding the difference. We should agree to disagree me thinks.

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.08527 seconds with 7 queries