Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-03-2014, 03:53 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I hire people all the time to do stuff for me, I just get confused about the popular saying "work on your business, not in your business". Its all one in the same. And by your own admission your working your azz off, just like the rest of us.
It's not the same Larry, you are correct in the fact I've been working my rear end off. Reason being is that I'm trying to ease myself out of the field and concentrate more on growing and increasing efficiency and streamlining our current systems. This will never happen if I continue to spend the bulk of my time in the field.

I have 0 interest in spending the rest of my working career beating myself up on a mower, if I wanted hp do that I'd work for someone else........
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
It's not the same Larry, you are correct in the fact I've been working my rear end off. Reason being is that I'm trying to ease myself out of the field and concentrate more on growing and increasing efficiency and streamlining our current systems. This will never happen if I continue to spend the bulk of my time in the field.

I have 0 interest in spending the rest of my working career beating myself up on a mower, if I wanted hp do that I'd work for someone else........
Posted via Mobile Device
I quit doing "roofs" several years ago. So when I hire my carpender to put a roof on am I working "on" my business or "in" my business?

I had a Uncle that owned a Honda Dealership, he would be on the showroom daily selling cars, so was he working "on" his business or "in" his business? I don't know but he was making a ton of money.


I enjoy my little route, if I were looking to make a lot of money I would choose another business.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM
eastsidelandcare eastsidelandcare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 15
If you are making money off of the work of other people that work for you then you are working on your business. If you are making money off your own personal sweat only then you are working in your business.

The more you make money off other people's sweat the more you are working on your business.

Think of it this way. If you are picking cotton at $5 an hour you can make more money by working more hours and that is the only way you can make more money while working IN the business. Hire 5 people for $4.75 an hour and charge $5 and you are making $1.50 for managing people by RUNNING the business. You can increase your income by hiring more people and the income cap is infinite (sort of). THAT is working ON the business.

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
RussellB RussellB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 2,852
Words. Just words.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidelandcare View Post
If you are making money off of the work of other people that work for you then you are working on your business. If you are making money off your own personal sweat only then you are working in your business.

The more you make money off other people's sweat the more you are working on your business.

Think of it this way. If you are picking cotton at $5 an hour you can make more money by working more hours and that is the only way you can make more money while working IN the business. Hire 5 people for $4.75 an hour and charge $5 and you are making $1.50 for managing people by RUNNING the business. You can increase your income by hiring more people and the income cap is infinite (sort of). THAT is working ON the business.

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com

Its still picking cotton, and still a job.

However Eli Whitney did figure out how to make money on picking cotton. Wonder if he was working on his business or in his business???


I don't think you fellers really think things through. You can make 5$ per hour, ok.....or you can look at 5 useless cotton pickers and make 1.50$ per hour, sounds like a plan for failure to me!

Last edited by larryinalabama; 07-03-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM
eastsidelandcare eastsidelandcare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Words. Just words.
I think you are destined for a life of $10 a hour.

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM
indplstim's Avatar
indplstim indplstim is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 69
There are a lot of different types of landscape/lawncare companies represented here on lawnsite. The smaller guys have to work ON and IN their businesses. There comes a point , if you want to grow and make the real money this industry offers, to step out of the everyday out in the field lawnmower jockey/everything else roles. It is hard to put your business into someone else's hands (your employees/crew leaders).
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Locqus's Avatar
Locqus Locqus is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 675
^^ trust and delegation are always a huge part of it, and necessary at that "tipping point." It goes from you doing everything to more of a damage control and training aspect as you teach your 2nd in command. Once that is done he can train etc. etc. But its a hard step to do. Even at some point the "admin role," if you will, becomes necessary not only to grow, but to sustain properly. From chasing money, to quoting, and spot checking the admin guy has a growing role in any business.

I always play "let it go, Indy" in my head when dealing with it. There needs to be somewhat of a chain of command, no matter how small that is. Companies are built on reliable people outside the owner, finding them is even tougher!
__________________
Paul Proctor
www.Locqus.com
Paul@Locqus.com
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM
eastsidelandcare eastsidelandcare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
^^ trust and delegation are always a huge part of it, and necessary at that "tipping point." It goes from you doing everything to more of a damage control and training aspect as you teach your 2nd in command. Once that is done he can train etc. etc. But its a hard step to do. Even at some point the "admin role," if you will, becomes necessary not only to grow, but to sustain properly. From chasing money, to quoting, and spot checking the admin guy has a growing role in any business.

I always play "let it go, Indy" in my head when dealing with it. There needs to be somewhat of a chain of command, no matter how small that is. Companies are built on reliable people outside the owner, finding them is even tougher!
Well said!

Lonnie
www.eastsidelandcare.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-09-2014, 07:12 PM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I quit doing "roofs" several years ago. So when I hire my carpender to put a roof on am I working "on" my business or "in" my business?

I had a Uncle that owned a Honda Dealership, he would be on the showroom daily selling cars, so was he working "on" his business or "in" his business? I don't know but he was making a ton of money.


I enjoy my little route, if I were looking to make a lot of money I would choose another business.
Your not serious....are you?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.09536 seconds with 7 queries