Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2014, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Bagger for 2014 Z Master

Ok guys, I bought a 52" Z Master in May, and am considering a bagger for it. It's July, and I'm already DREADING leaf season. I'm spending way too much time clearing leaves, and want to make a change. I don't really want to bag full time, because I don't especially feel like dealing with the clippings. However, I do have properties where I can get rid of clippings through the day if need be. I'm considering the Toro DFS or 2 bag system, both with impellers. Any experience or advice is greatly appreciated.
A few specific questions:
About how many sqft worth of clippings can I fit in either of these systems? ( I know there are variables affecting this, but a general ballpark would be nice)

Are these things any good? They're quite spendy , but I think they'll cut the time spent on leaves by 2/3. It would also be nice to be able to blow out beds, and just suck up the mess.

Can I mow with the bags removed and just discharge out the rear housing?

Pros/cons of DFS vs 2 bag?

Again, all input is appreciated, as I have no experience with a commercial bagger.
Thanks, Chef
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Come on guys, somebody has to have some experience to share
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Cereally, guys, nothing??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I just ordered the DFS system from my dealer. At just over $3k it ain't cheap, but I hope it does what I need it to do. This was the first question that I couldn't get an answer for on LS. I'll write a detailed review when I've had it for a while.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the DFS bagger installed on Thursday, and ran it hard on Saturday. I was impressed with it's performance and surprised by its capacity. It will hold about 14ksqft of fescue clippings. However, bermuda seems to pack it full in about 8k. I guess because it grows so densely... The thing leaves the lawns quite clean. I was able to blow out beds, and just suck up the debris with the mower. It even got most of the sweetgum balls.

The only problem I have, and it is a big one, is that the exhaust burned a hole through the grass catcher.

I showed it to my dealer (who also installed it) today, and was assured it would be replaced. They've always been good to me, so I have no reason to doubt them. I don't know if a part to shield it from exhaust was missing or what. I have a hard time seeing Toro dropping the ball like this, and if they had they would've heard it about it before now... I'm curious to see how they prevent this from happening to the next one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a shield that re routes the exhaust and keeps it from burning the bags. Don't know how they missed that. I have a 52 lazer with the two bag. Works well fills up fast with leaves. Instead of running it without bags I prefer to runit without the vac on. After you get the hang of it t out can take it off and on pretty quick. Use less gas, quieter , and not as wide. Make sure your deck is dialed in as well you can have a lot of blow out and be chasing leaves. I would also buy a spare vac belt to keep in the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked the instruction manual online last night, and there is supposed to be a muffler deflector. Sucks for the dealer! After seeing the system, it's much easier to remove the blower & tube than I thought. There's no need to run with the hopper open. I removed a bunch of magnolia leaves in Saturday, and noticed some front skirt blowout. I think I'll switch to the atomic blades for leaves as they give up a good bit of lift to the high sails. It may help to cut the leaves up a little more as well. So far I like the system. It's not nearly as bulky as I feared and performs as expected. Unlike allagashpm's experience, mine actually seems to be quieter with the blower. It cuts down on the roar from the deck, which is quite surprising. However, I'm sure I eat a lot more gas with it!
Posted via Mobile Device