Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I wanted to give an update. The fuel sending unit and float were bad in the tank so they had to order that to fix the fuel Guage from always showing empty. The blade spindles due nearest the schute was bad as well which was the loud whining sound, and I had a weird machined bolt that needed replaced to keep the arm tight.

They have had it for 1 week and mowed with it a fee times and claim they can never replicate the slipping hesitant wheel issue. I'm slightly perturbed by this as it does it every turn for me once warmed up. They still have it and continue to use to try and replicate it but I have my doubts that they are going to figure it out or admit to finding it.

Once I get it back, if it still does it I'm not sure how to pursue. I'm wondering if I should just change the hydro fluid at 50 hours once time and purge the system to see if that helps it. Sounds like I should be able to do this myself?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
They have had it for 1 week and mowed with it a fee times and claim they can never replicate the slipping hesitant wheel issue. I'm slightly perturbed by this as it does it every turn for me once warmed up. They still have it and continue to use to try and replicate it but I have my doubts that they are going to figure it out or admit to finding it.

Once I get it back, if it still does it I'm not sure how to pursue. I'm wondering if I should just change the hydro fluid at 50 hours once time and purge the system to see if that helps it. Sounds like I should be able to do this myself?
It's easy. The Hustler service manuals are at the bottom of their homepage, if you need help. They say to drain the reservoir, then, pull the filter. Purge as I stated before. I used Amsoil, full-synthetic oil, in mine.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I have a good update regarding the hustler brand, another concern on my new new xone. In short, after the dealerships multiple attempts to repair they actually decided to give me a brand new mower seeing how I only had 21 hours on it. This rather impressed me.

I received my new new xone last Friday and with 2 hours on it I have two issues I would like your opinions on.

1. They installed new flex forks on my new mower which I had no issues with on the last mower. For some reason now I am getting a very very loud popping noise when I hit bumps or go over inclines. It seems to be come from the bearings in the fork where they mount to the eyelet on the frame. I jacked the front end up and noticed I can grab the front fork and move those bearings up and down about 1/8" which I think is the culprit. Should these bearings move at all up and down inside that eyelet?

2. Issue two is, a out 1/3 throttle I am getting a terrible engine vibration. When this starts there is a pully and a spring right under the engine that start rattling like crazy, mainly the spring. The vibration and sound go away after about half throttle. Is this normal?

I want to thank you guys for your help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Well I have a good update regarding the hustler brand, another concern on my new new xone. In short, after the dealerships multiple attempts to repair they actually decided to give me a brand new mower seeing how I only had 21 hours on it. This rather impressed me.
I'd sure like to hear their rationale for replacing the mower and if Excel were involved in that decision.

Quote:
1. They installed new flex forks on my new mower which I had no issues with on the last mower. For some reason now I am getting a very very loud popping noise when I hit bumps or go over inclines. It seems to be come from the bearings in the fork where they mount to the eyelet on the frame. I jacked the front end up and noticed I can grab the front fork and move those bearings up and down about 1/8" which I think is the culprit. Should these bearings move at all up and down inside that eyelet?
That's isn't correct. Take it back.

I did my own install. The only place I had gotten any noise was the axle bolts. If you leave any play at all, the wheel will move, within the fork, and cause a fair amount of clatter.

Quote:
2. Issue two is, a out 1/3 throttle I am getting a terrible engine vibration. When this starts there is a pully and a spring right under the engine that start rattling like crazy, mainly the spring. The vibration and sound go away after about half throttle. Is this normal?
It's just harmonics. Certain V-twin engines produce a decent amount of vibration, due to power pulses. When those pulses are transferred through a drivetrain or drive system, there are going to be times where the "perfect storm" is brewed. Mine does that, too. You may have your dealer double-check the spring for correct tension. Increasing or decreasing that tension may change the harmonics. On my Toro TimeMaster, the tension for the drive belt can't be too tight or it'll start crazy harmonics and racket.

If you watch Harley Davidson drive belts, you can see all manner of harmonics being transferred through them. By going to a belt, they've managed to curb some of the harshness their engines transfer into the drive wheel.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

It was excel. The dealer had taken the mower in 3 times in under 21 hours for a blade spindle, fuel sending unit, then this slipping hydro issue and drive belt. They out 16 hours on it just diagnosing and bent my flex fork during whatever they were doing.

It was escalated to excel and their district rep called me on a Saturday and said we decided to replace your mower given my experience. Very commendable customer service.

I took the mower in this morning. I had to argue with the tech for awhile that it wasn't normal to have this play on the new mower and new forks as my old one did not have this issue. After talking to the salesmen he had them do some digging.

It was 20 minutes they called and said they fixed it. I haven't used it yet but have verified there is no play any more. They claim the washers were installed incorrectly when the out on the flex forks. They said they needed flip the washers and reverse the order. I don't remember , but didn't think I had to do this on my old one but maybe I did.

So whe I took it in ihe forks were installed with the bolt head siting on top of the big washer and all you could see was the bolt head and the big washer and there was a substantial gap between the big washer and the eyelet in the frame that holds the bearing. When I picked it up now it's the bolt head a little washer I didn't see before, and the big washer under that little washer. The gap seen before has been greatly reduced. I'm hoping this is in fact correct installation now.

Can anyone verify the little washer should in fact be flipped and installed on top of the big washer when the flex forks get added to the x one?

Thanks all. It does sound like the vibrating spring noise is normal.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Fixed some typos:

I took the mower in this morning. I had to argue with the tech for awhile that it wasn't normal to have this play on the new mower and new forks as my old one did not have this issue. After talking to the salesmen he had them do some digging.

It was 20 minutes they called and said they fixed it. I haven't used it yet but have verified there is no play any more when I jacked up the front end.. They claim the washers were installed incorrectly when they put on the flex forks. They said they needed to flip the washers and reverse the order. I did not do this on my old one but maybe I was suppose to.

So when I took it in the forks were installed with the bolt head siting on top of the big washer and all you could see was the bolt head and the big washer and there was a substantial gap between the big washer and the eyelet in the frame that holds the bearing. When I picked it up now it's the 19mm bolt head a little washer I didn't see before, and the big washer under that little washer. The gap seen before has been greatly reduced. I'm hoping this is in fact correct installation now.

Can anyone verify the little washer should in fact be flipped and installed on top of the big washer when the flex forks get added to the x one? I'm nervous this was a fabrication.

Thanks all. It does sound like the vibrating spring noise is normal.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It was excel. The dealer had taken the mower in 3 times in under 21 hours for a blade spindle, fuel sending unit, then this slipping hydro issue and drive belt. They out 16 hours on it just diagnosing and bent my flex fork during whatever they were doing.

It was escalated to excel and their district rep called me on a Saturday and said we decided to replace your mower given my experience. Very commendable customer service.
That's outstanding!

Quote:
So whe I took it in ihe forks were installed with the bolt head siting on top of the big washer and all you could see was the bolt head and the big washer and there was a substantial gap between the big washer and the eyelet in the frame that holds the bearing. When I picked it up now it's the bolt head a little washer I didn't see before, and the big washer under that little washer. The gap seen before has been greatly reduced. I'm hoping this is in fact correct installation now.

Can anyone verify the little washer should in fact be flipped and installed on top of the big washer when the flex forks get added to the x one?
Mine is the way yours was originally installed. I did the installation and reinstalled the hardware exactly as it came off the original fork. I have no play.

There is a thread floating around where poly washers are mentioned, to take up slack or add "preload" to the bearings. It seems those came on older Hustlers and the washers were added to a new Super Z HD. "puppypaws" was the one, I believe, who did that. His purpose was to reduce or eliminate frontend shimmy.

I guess, the bottom line is if it they took care of the issue, run it. If you have further problems, it sounds like they'll stand behind their work and products.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer