Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lil help from the tech guys?

I know this isn't website related, but I figured somebody like Tonygreek could give me some insight.

Local news did a story on my sandbag company. I'm trying to get the video that aired as a seperate file for me to put on disc etc for promotional stuff. Is there a way to just extract the video from the news link or do I have to get the news guy to try to send me the file seperate.

Thanks in advance. Jacob

Here is a link to the story:
http://wgno.com/2014/06/20/enter-sandmaster-limitless-sandbags-fast/#axzz358gvz2hF
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I know this isn't website related, but I figured somebody like Tonygreek could give me some insight.

Local news did a story on my sandbag company. I'm trying to get the video that aired as a seperate file for me to put on disc etc for promotional stuff. Is there a way to just extract the video from the news link or do I have to get the news guy to try to send me the file seperate.

Thanks in advance. Jacob

Here is a link to the story:
http://wgno.com/2014/06/20/enter-san...#axzz358gvz2hF
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice publicity you got there, Krayz. Congrats! Re: downloading the video, it's a Flash file. If you hit download.com, you will find a variety of downloaders. It's just a matter of finding one that will actually download it. This is often easier said than done, which is why I rarely bother. There are also a variety of browser plugins available, but they tend to have the same issues. They'll work or they won't. It's a matter of how much you want to try different methods. Fwiw, I tried 3 different that I have and none did. Maybe someone else on here has some success?

Regardless of your potential success of downloading, I'd ask the station to send you a dvd or email you a digital copy. This will give you an infinitely better quality copy that you can then convert for your needs. I've never had a problem with similar requests, but I wouldn't underscore your want to use it for commercial purposes. You just want it for the family archives...
Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well seems this site has a block for most tools I use let me look around,

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the purpose you want, I would contact the station directly, first to make sure you can have permission to use a copy for promotional (ie commercial) uses. Then they might be able to just give you a copy of it (or license it to you to use).

Although you wanted to give it on disc or something to show, if you can get away with showing it on something with a connection, here is the direct link to the player:

http://launch.newsinc.com/?type=Vide...deoId=26288976
Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is link to FLV / Flash file but it's not high quality 360p at most
https://www.firedrive.com/file/C2272E8093B52E4C

For HD do contact news station

WGNO and WNOL
1 Galleria Blvd., Suite 850
Metairie, LA 70001

Main Switchboard:
(504) 525-3838
wgno-tv@tribune.com

WGNO News:
(504) 619-6363
news@wgno.com

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Sponsor

If that file doesn't work for you, call the person who interviewed you personally (tell the gatekeeper that he did a story on you and you want to say thank you), say thank you, and then ask them. Often producers are bound by policy not to give you a copy, but reporters are a lot looser with the files. I've had good luck with that. And be careful when you install video downloaders; some of them are just packed with crap that will hijack your browser search, install malware, or plaster ads all over your Firefox.

Watch a 2-minute demo!

Email: ryan@mhelpdesk.com
Web: www.mhelpdesk.com
Phone: 888-558-6275