Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:05 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,429
Do you're employees work 50 hours every week? Or 30,35 etc plus 10 or wether they're over or not?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:12 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGardener View Post
Full service - maintenance, trimming, landscape installs. I've never cut anyone's pay besides reducing OT. My managers are on salaries with large commissions for getting sales.

I think things got carried away when these perks became viewed as entitlements. Instead of motivating employees to work harder these benefits like OT and rain pay are viewed as things that are deserved regardless of performance. I think I'm going to continue trying to explain things using some of the tips above but there are certain guys that I can tell will continue to feel like they're getting screwed.

I have some guys that aren't even foremen with 500 hours of PTO banked right now. The guy I let go was at $23 an hour with 5 weeks PTO a year - but he didn't have a drivers license and couldn't read or write.
Posted via Mobile Device
was he spanish?
portugese?

are you sure he couldn't read or write, or just couldn't read or write ENGLISH?

just a perspective thing, if guys are ted to getting 50 hours a week (which includes 10 OT hrs.
and you say no more OT.
YES, you are cutting their weekly pay, because it was money they were getting before.

INSTEAD of just cutting their pay.

Make it bonus pay instead.

Lets say George is 20/hr . He works 50 hrs every week. $800 reg $300 OT.

law says you have to pay OT, so don't schedule OT anymore.

But George is "EXPECTING" $1100 gross a week.

Sweet.

You work George 37.5 hours every week. That's $750.00 (40 hours minus half hour mandatory lunch)
That gives you a POSSIBLE $350.00 bonus to AWARD George EVERY WEEK.
IF, he performs, IF he gets everything done, IF he doesn't break anything, loose anything or have to redo anything.
THEN he gets his money.
Not simply for logging hours.

So…if George doesn't get $1100 every week, it's for something HE didn't do, NOT for something you DID do.

Additionally, you are giving him goodies because he's only working a 40 hour week for 50 hours worth of pay….

and you might think, OH thats backwards! NOW I'm paying him $29.33 an hour!

Well yes and no.

1) a well organized motivated employee can do more in 37.5 hours than a guy that is taking advantage of the system can in 50 hours.

2) how often do you think this guy WILL earn his full bonus every week.

3) it s performance based plan rather than an accrual plan

4) if you think my pay plan is worse, leave the guy alone he must be doing fine!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 PM
GatorGardener GatorGardener is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 23
We have to pay our guys with clean driver's license $1 more an hour premium because we have trouble finding guys that have a license that is cleared for insurance that are also willing to work outside getting dirty all day.

We bill our guys out at $30/hr - so when they make overtime and some of them make $30 or more an hour during OT we lose money every hour of OT they work due to overhead.

Lastly - don't comment anything if you are going to come on here and start telling me about how clean or dirty my hands are. You don't know me and I don't know you so don't come at me trying to start an unprovoked argument.

Thanks to the rest of you guys with the tips - I clearly have a lot to learn about management so that is why I'm here looking for advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,429
That's your problem right there.

$30 a man hour

If you seriously have a CPA background you need to figure your numbers out. Because that's no where close to where you need to

And you might want to listen to T. He does consulting. A lot of people that comment have no experience with what they are talking about
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by whiffyspark; 06-28-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Efficiency's Avatar
Efficiency Efficiency is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: zone 6
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's your problem right there.

$30 a man hour

If you seriously have a CPA background you need to figure your numbers out. Because that's no where close to where you need to

And you might want to listen to T. He does consulting. A lot of people that comment have no experience with what they are talking about
Posted via Mobile Device
Dunno whiffy. Down south the big maintenance companies are as low as 27 a man hour...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-28-2014, 02:00 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Dunno whiffy. Down south the big maintenance companies are as low as 27 a man hour...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kind of hard to make a profit when you charge less than what you pay people..
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-28-2014, 02:22 PM
TTS TTS is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Kind of hard to make a profit when you charge less than what you pay people..
Posted via Mobile Device
Wasn't that the whole point of the thread?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-28-2014, 03:03 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGardener View Post
We have to pay our guys with clean driver's license $1 more an hour premium because we have trouble finding guys that have a license that is cleared for insurance that are also willing to work outside getting dirty all day.

We bill our guys out at $30/hr - so when they make overtime and some of them make $30 or more an hour during OT we lose money every hour of OT they work due to overhead.

Lastly - don't comment anything if you are going to come on here and start telling me about how clean or dirty my hands are. You don't know me and I don't know you so don't come at me trying to start an unprovoked argument.

Thanks to the rest of you guys with the tips - I clearly have a lot to learn about management so that is why I'm here looking for advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's your problem right there.

$30 a man hour

If you seriously have a CPA background you need to figure your numbers out. Because that's no where close to where you need to

And you might want to listen to T. He does consulting. A lot of people that comment have no experience with what they are talking about
Posted via Mobile Device
I have to apologize. It appears I have spoken to soon.

It now has been brought to my attention that his math skills are just as good as his people skills.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
GatorGardener GatorGardener is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I have to apologize. It appears I have spoken to soon.

It now has been brought to my attention that his math skills are just as good as his people skills.
Does it make you guys feel better about yourselves to bash others on this forum? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I have zero interest in getting into a fight and I'm only seeking positive advice and differing opinions.

The bottom line is that I inherited a $30 an hour billing rate and high direct labor expenses and I'm trying to solve the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 PM
hackitdown hackitdown is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGardener View Post
The bottom line is that I inherited a $30 an hour billing rate and high direct labor expenses and I'm trying to solve the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not so sure that you have a spoiled company culture. It sounds more like an unsustainable business model. It is not the fault of the employees. It is the fault of the previous management to allow things to slide a little too far away from profitability.

I would think that you could explain this to the employees without being a dick. Explain that you don't want to do it, but you need to cut expenses. Ask them politely to stay, and that they will be sorely missed if they quit, but the reality of the situation requires changes.

It is important to accept and acknowledge that it is not their fault. They are not spoiled. They are doing exactly what I would do...making the most $$ I can at my job. Yes, they will be angry that their pay is cut, be prepared to deal with the negativity. That is the tough situation you need to address together.
__________________

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.08931 seconds with 7 queries