Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-28-2014, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Wonder if my problem is dealer or hustler

Brian O, are you the new version of Pj?

Do you want me to lob it out right here, or via e-mail? Someone let me know. Long time owner, who isn't real happy with his new Hustler purchase, just want to know who to start kicking?

Oh BTW Thanks
Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

There is only one PJ, something like that, can't be duplicated. I have only blocked two posts in the two years of doing this so fire away. I have found sugar works better than salt but being from Chicago's Southside I've had to deal with both.
I will need the model and serial number of the machine. That way I can track where it was bought and when. Also if there has been any warranty work done to it or any calls into the factory about it. I will also bring in the Ohio manager for assistance.
Keep in mind the 4th is coming up and some will have a shortened week.

Brian O
Old 07-04-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Brian

Ok facts first, 2 Hustlers, first the Super Z, purchased new a lot of years ago
25 HP Kawa, 60" deck
Model 926387
Serial # 02052117
Awesome machine, always loved everything except that seat, only has 678 hours, and now I'm wondering why I started looking for a new mower.

New one Hustler Fastrak 24HP Kawa, 60" deck, better seat, but still it's the worst thing. This one can go through a wet spot without spinning, and getting stuck, but it can't do the hill in front of the house at the road, differences in the pumps I imagine.

Problem

Old Hustler came set up, or at least the deck height matched the indicator near the foot raiser. Chains holding the deck aren't all the way out, likely pulled up to also lift the deck up to the height to match the depth of cut indicator. Also the scalper rollers are set so when mowing at the correct height they lift the deck when I hit a high spot, to keep it from scalping. Machine came to me new that way from a dealer that is no longer in business.

New Hustler I believe came right out of the box. Lift chains on the deck are all the way out. Deck height indicator and actual what it mows aren't even close. I have to mow with the deck up in what I believe you call the transfer position, so in excess of the 4.5" deck height setting. I am cutting, rather scalping my yard to a 1 to 1 1/2" depth, frequently grounding it out. Scalper wheels full up. Starts and runs better than the old one, but I am fairly anxious that if there are other "maintenance settings" that SHOULD be done on a brand new machine, that they, like the obviously neglected deck settings, probably weren't done either.

I have tools, and I am not an idiot, so I likely could figure out where everything should be on the deck, but I don't have maintenance settings on everything, and I really don't know if running it puts me at risk. So I have a brand new machine, and am very happy I still have my older machine, because it is what I am using to mow.

So I am writing to you to see which way I should leap here. I have no faith in contacting the dealer if they knowingly didn't set up my machine as I felt a new machine should be.

Maybe I have a bone to pick with Hustler if they do not require anything of their dealers in regards to set up of a new machine.

Mostly I'm just pizzed at myself for getting into this jackpot.

Up till this point I was your best salesperson, even if this thing is fixed as good as any new machine has ever been set up, you have lost that forever. This kind of thing isn't, ohh gee we overlooked that we didn't do squat on your new mower. This is blatant disregard for my safety, this kind of thing is actionable in court cases every day, ask GM, Toyota, or anyone else getting kicked daily. I'm more upset if it is actually Hustler, and you have made policy that, ahhhh let them figure it out......

You ought to be able to get info to contact me, and if you decide this is too inflammatory to post, I really suggest you contact me, or my LawShark will be contacting you

Have a great day
Old 07-05-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Forgot the meat n taters.

model 032830

serial# 14010072
Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

You need to give your dealer the benefit of the doubt. Give them the chance to make it right. They can re-level and adjust the deck.

Also just a side note

Why would you even think a Fastrak is going to compare to a Super Z? That would be like getting a Toyota Prius and comparing it to your pickup truck.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Sponsor

This is not the correct model number. please re check the model number and forward.

Brian O
Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Brian

Directions please to the "model number" you need, the one I posted says "model number" right in front of it.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Sponsor

Pending on what model you have it should be on the left side as you are sitting in the tractor. Label that is marked Model # and Serial #. It's about 3" X 3" sticker. Might be on the side rail near the fuel tank or it's on the faceplate close to your left calf when sitting. It will not start with a "0"
the correct model number would be needed to look up the manuals for that machine. We don't make them for a series, they are model number specific.

Brian O
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Brian,

It probably starts with a 9 instead of a 0. That would make it a valid model for a 60" Fastrak.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Sponsor

Assumption is the mother of all clusters. If one number is wrong, why not two or three. If I was to guess, we would agree, but I would rather not guess when I don't have to. It's very disturbing when I do research and fact finding only to find out I was sent on the wrong path because I assumed something.
Besides, Once he gets the right number he'll find the manual on our website and see how easy it is to level our decks.

Brian O