Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

accused of scratching a car

Solo, first yr. Insured.
While cutting a commercial account with a separate rental home. The hotel owner called me the next day and said I was accused of scratching a vehicle at the rental home. I immediately thought I knew of what he was talking about as I have to trim a small strip of grass between a garage and driveway. I remember throwing a little clippings on a subaru parked there. When I came back to blow they stuck. Was warm, hot car.
Ive cut this property almost a dozen times. Been very careful. The hotel owner agrees with me when I say I didnt do it. And also if I did anything, it would be chips or dings. Not a scratch.
So I call the car owner and leave a message saying I heard about the problem and am concerned. But also said damage from me would be chips or dings. Still have not heard back from him.

Here is a weird thing. I call the hotel owner later and let him know whats going on. I proceeded to ask him exactly where I scratched the car. He told me the car owner is accusing of scratching BOTH sides of his car. I know for absolute fact I didnt even get close to his drivers side.

How to handle?

Be a prick and deny and make him prove it?

The hotel owner said he'd pay half the cost to have his car detailed?

Regardless. I will leave a huge area left uncut from now on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would let the insurance company handle it, that's why you pay them.

You could, I suppose...
Tell the hotel owner AND the car owner that you will be calling the insurance Monday and that they will most likely handle things from here on out.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a string trimmer to cut the strip. 2 wide by 15 long. Grass, no rocks or dirt. Thats the reason for a few clippings on his car.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

First, I would make sure you use the right equipment for the right environment...

If you are working around vehicles you definitely need a OCDC, bagger, or rear discharge one or all of them are a MUST. Just the fact that you admitted that you got clippings on the car sounds awful. If I was the car owner and wanted to be a d-bag I would raise a stink and make either you or the hotel pay to have my car detailed whether or not it was scratched.

String trimmers can be just as bad if not worse about throwing up rocks or debris on a vehicle.

You do need to state your case, it is possible the owner is trying to get something for nothing, but again, you stated you threw clippings on the car. If it is possible to inspect for damage first hand, do so, if not let them know you will report it to your insurance and let them handle it. But in the future get the right equipment to prevent this stuff from happening again.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You might be right, but you'll risk losing the hotel for an insurance claim? It makes me darn mad too...I've tried fighting them over the years and it always ends up looking like you just don't want to admit it.
Let the insurance handle it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Gcbaily is right. For a spot that size, use a push mower and bagger. Unloading another piece of equipment sucks. Dealing with this stuff sucks worse.
If you have to use your trimmer, put an Edgit on it. They make such a huge difference in cut quality and control and cut way down on thrown debris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice. Calling the insurance agent monday. Im always on here reading. Learned alot. But I guess it still wasnt enough. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did you go look at the damage? Go take your own pics first to show the hotel manager and/or insurance agent.

Or this a he say she say situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't call my insurance agent. First I would have gone to see the car owner in person. Looked at the damage. See whether the damage matched my equipment, if I mowed it with a trimmer, I would bring it and give the car owner and the business owner a demonstration of how the area was trimmed and how it didn't happen.

I also wouldn't unload a mower for that small spot... Don't even have one. And in a tight space a more with a beggar would be more likely to scratch the car as you try to maneuver the mower and the handle bars etc.

Over the years we have damage things and we paid for them and we have been accused of damaging things and I showed them how it did not happen that way. Sorry for the damage but it doesn't have anything to do with me

. I'm
Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHill_Lawn View Post
Solo, first yr. Insured.
While cutting a commercial account with a separate rental home. The hotel owner called me the next day and said I was accused of scratching a vehicle at the rental home. I immediately thought I knew of what he was talking about as I have to trim a small strip of grass between a garage and driveway. I remember throwing a little clippings on a subaru parked there. When I came back to blow they stuck. Was warm, hot car.
Ive cut this property almost a dozen times. Been very careful. The hotel owner agrees with me when I say I didnt do it. And also if I did anything, it would be chips or dings. Not a scratch.
So I call the car owner and leave a message saying I heard about the problem and am concerned. But also said damage from me would be chips or dings. Still have not heard back from him.

Here is a weird thing. I call the hotel owner later and let him know whats going on. I proceeded to ask him exactly where I scratched the car. He told me the car owner is accusing of scratching BOTH sides of his car. I know for absolute fact I didnt even get close to his drivers side.

How to handle?

Be a prick and deny and make him prove it?

The hotel owner said he'd pay half the cost to have his car detailed?

Regardless. I will leave a huge area left uncut from now on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you are being scammed. Chances are he's had that scratch for awhile and wants to put you on the hook for it.
Posted via Mobile Device