Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
I would not contact my insurance company. I didn't scratch your car... Prove it in court. Conversation is over. It sounded like the property owner was on your side.
This is what I would do to. Prove it! He can't do that without witnesses imo. I get grass on cars a lot when they are parked close to where you are doing trim work. Sometimes the wind throws grass on dew laden autos when you are blowing off drives. Grass on a vehicle does not prove you did other things to it. I would take my chances in court. This is the problem with Insurance. You make a small claim, then you will pay a big price in the long run when they jack your premiums up. Time for your annual audit!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is what I would do to. Prove it! He can't do that without witnesses imo. I get grass on cars a lot when they are parked close to where you are doing trim work. Sometimes the wind throws grass on dew laden autos when you are blowing off drives. Grass on a vehicle does not prove you did other things to it. I would take my chances in court. This is the problem with Insurance. You make a small claim, then you will pay a big price in the long run when they jack your premiums up. Time for your annual audit!
And the car owner will never take it to court. I've had someone tell me we scrached their car. I showed them how my equipment didn't fit the damage.

I have paid for (over a 30+ year period):

(1) a windshield in a large wrecker/rollback, that was driving by when my bushhog lobbed a rock. When the guy approached me, he was pissed, and scared. He had just had a new windshield installed that morning. His boss said the new windshield was installed the next morning and gave me a price. He called me the next evening expressing his surprise that I actually sent him a check with no extra prodding. $450
(2) Caravan Passenger door window- employee was string trimming, wal.king away from the street, up the driveway, while cars were sitting right there at the red light. He was supposed to always edge walkways with an edger. The guard doesn't let a rock go very high, or far. $400
(3) I threw a rock over a privacy fence and through a patio door $600. I mow at 4+ inches high, but the new walkbehind that I had just bought could really suck up a rock and toss it. Unlike any mower I had before.
(4) Employee was trimming a walkway with a string trimmer ( supposed to be using an edger) and busted a storm door. I blew half a day looking for a replacement glass (pre-internet ) only cost me $40 and too much time.
(5) A customers Caddy parked in the driveway. The lawn had a steep slope on the passenger side. The mower slid a little (wet) and I put a little dent in the rear quarterpanel. $400.

I added these stories to let you know that If i BELIEVE we did it...I will pay.

Last edited by DuallyVette; 06-29-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHill_Lawn View Post

How to handle?

Be a prick and deny and make him prove it?

The hotel owner said he'd pay half the cost to have his car detailed?

Regardless. I will leave a huge area left uncut from now on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Be a prick by being honest? Are you kidding?
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Be a prick by being honest? Are you kidding?
I meant by growing a set and standing my ground. Sorry.
Im the most easy going guy in the world. I didnt mean being an a$$ and completely denying it. I'm hoping to get to inspect tomorrow afternoon. If hes around. Id go alone. But he has to determine which are new and old chips.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you can either
Bring your mower and go talk to him and show him that you didn't do it, or
Simply tell him you are 100% sure you did not do it and that's it.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
I think you can either
Bring your mower and go talk to him and show him that you didn't do it, or
Simply tell him you are 100% sure you did not do it and that's it.
Thats a great idea. Will set that up for tuesday. Supposed to rain here, will be fun to make him stand in the rain and have him watch. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't tell insurance either
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't read the whole thread but one thing I make sure to do when mowing or trimming around cars/houses etc. is to use the very lowest RPM you can get by with to minimize the likelyhood of throwing objects into surrounding property.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Scratches down both sides of the car?

Is there turf to mow on both sides of the car? Why would the mower BE on both sides of the car?

how do we know some chick this dude is cheating on, didn't find his car in the parking lot and key it because she was so P*SSED?

What makes the accusation toward the lawn boy to begin with?

1) I'd want a meeting with my client (hotel/property manager) to discuss why it is the accusation was made toward you.
2) I would want photos, before any more time passes (this guy could be playing bumper cars with his friends when he's drunk)
3) I'd want an actual, in writing explanation from the claim maker how (in their mind) what the "lawn boy" did in order to damage the vehicle, claim it's necessary for the insurance company to review a claim at all, and it has to be from the person making the claim.

Once a person has to write it down, 50% of the time it sounds so illogical to THEM, they get the point no one is going to verify their claim in the first place, and the other 50% of the time EVERYONE else reading it can realize how stupid it sounds.

Also this is an opportunity to discuss price with your client (hotel)
where you can explain you do not nearly have the volume or profit margin on services that the hotels own position does, and that to merely hand wave away a free detailing like they might, is as simple as canceling the entire service to the hotel and sitting at home to watch scooby doo, because watching scooby would actually put MORE money in your bank account than mowing this property all year, and then paying for a free detailing to anyone who made false claims like this.

maybe not something as harsh as I wrote, but hey… yknow, if you guys want to pay me more money, I could you know, pick up a few free detailings now and then eh?
Wink wink?
no?

Oh ok. Ill go back to mowing now… don't call me with any more bogus claims… mmk?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have the gaurd on and is it down or up
Posted via Mobile Device