Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Not sure on gravely. Grand stands are extremely popular here. Even up on 5-6 acres

Grandstands and lazers are all you see
Posted via Mobile Device
Come to think of it never seen a walk behind being used or on a trailer either lol.

Maybe some up near Weeze he is about 45mins from me

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grandstands and turf tracers are what most large companies run. 52-60 inch is the norm. Usually at least two standers a trailer. Some companies have as many as 5 on a trailer.

60 inch TRacers are 2500 with about 600-800 hours. Friend just brought 4 more for 2k a piece.

People are tending to only run lazers now when bagging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You're going to break belts mulching ST Augustine every 50-100 hours. Go to NAPA and get them at 1/3 of what gravely cost. I don't care what anyone says mulching that stuff and Bahia kills belts. I have had this problem on multiple machines and yes I use mower rated belts even though they come from NAPA I don't have any better luck with Toro whatever brand mower I use belts. Wright makes the deere standers now. Great Dane use to make the previous model for them Gravely, Lesco, and Everride. Should have got the stander from the get go like I said what $60 bucks more a month. I use a Toro Grand Stand and in a 48 it doesn't give you any trimming over hang on the deck compared to my old Wright RH 48 otherwise its a lot smoother machine but not nearly as tuff as the Wright IMO besides the parking brake being junk on the Wright.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
It snapped right in half, the ends where it snapped look kind of shredded rather then a "clean" snap. As for wetness, I've been using the machine when it's wet and dry. It's been pretty wet all week, just not too "soaked" too mow. We had some light showers through the week, enough for the ground to be "wet."
PicturePerfectLawns and ALL... Need some help with my PTO belt... As I was getting picturePerfect some pics of my Mulching Kit gap issues I took off the deck cover and found my PTO belt, while still intact, in this condition (see pics).. My mower is a 2010 Gravely 1334g Pro Walk with 98 hours. I am the second owner and like me, the 1st owner just used it on his 1/4 acre lot... I have ordered a new belt but should I replace now or wait till it goes? What's the best way to engage the PTO Belt as far as engine speed? Does the ware on the belt raise any flags for possible pully, tensioner, etc. issues? Is this a do-it-yourself change out?

Guys, any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mcarlo, they say about half throttle for engaging the blades and disengaging. To low rpm's and engaging puts wear on the clutches and too high rpm put's wear on the belt. I'd rather replace a belt, but I believe about half rpm's is right. As far as changing that belt, I just replaced that same exact one. It's a cake walk, very simple. You see that red bar in the center, going to the tension idler pulley? There should be a spring connected to it. The other end of the spring is going to an eye bolt. You just simply loosen that eye bolt (there's a nut on the front and back). As you loosen it, it will loosen that belt. You can pull that red bar over towards the right side of the mower if your standing at the front. Have a second person to slip that belt right off easily when you pull the tension off that belt. When you slide it off the back pulley then around the front pulleys and it just slides underneath that center idler pulley. When you put it back on just reverse the steps. The belt slides underneath that center idler pulley and around all the others. Make sure you tighten the eye bolt / tension spring back up. To get it back to specs, just measure the spring from end of hook to end of hook. I believe you want it at 13" or 13.5" (can't recall) check the manual and then you'll be all set.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW, I'd go ahead and replace that. It's easier to replace while your in the garage or drive way then in middle of a job and frustrated that it broke. Unkownfl, I tried finding a back-up belt at Oriellys to get me through the day mowing. Sad thing, they wanted $40.00 for a belt that size. I paid $45. for the original Gravely belt.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
BTW, I'd go ahead and replace that. It's easier to replace while your in the garage or drive way then in middle of a job and frustrated that it broke. Unkownfl, I tried finding a back-up belt at Oriellys to get me through the day mowing. Sad thing, they wanted $40.00 for a belt that size. I paid $45. for the original Gravely belt.
Hey PPL... Thanks for the advice and detailed instructions... I would have not payed any attention to how tight the spring needs to be after snaking on the new belt... As far as the belt price, mine was $65 including tax at my local Gravely parts dealer... Gravely wanted $56.85 + tax + $15 shipping...My part number is 07200017 and it is a .65width X 95" circumference v-belt..
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarlo24 View Post
Hey PPL... Thanks for the advice and detailed instructions... I would have not payed any attention to how tight the spring needs to be after snaking on the new belt... As far as the belt price, mine was $65 including tax at my local Gravely parts dealer... Gravely wanted $56.85 + tax + $15 shipping...My part number is 07200017 and it is a .65width X 95" circumference v-belt..

No problem, hope you get it taken care of bud. That price sounds about right or possibly even cheap. My dealers wanted $55.00 for mine and my belt is a bit smaller. I believe mine is 83.5". I see you have a fixed deck and mine was replaced on a floating deck. I also have a floating deck, I tried to use the deck belt on there on my floating when it broke and it was much longer, so I'm sure it was probably the same as yours 95"? Did you get that belt off? I loosened that tension eye bolt at the front to loosen that belt. It took me a bit to figure out how to put it back on there, just remember it has to go under that center pulley and you'll be all good. After the first change it'll be a cake walk for you. You got a 100 hours out of your belt so you did better then me. As someone mentioned earlier, I didn't even think about that. I suppose the thick St. Augustine and the mulch kit could have had something to do with mine breaking. I'm glad you caught yours before it broke on you in the field. It stinks having one break, the dealers not having one, and then having to order it. I called every dealer around and none had mine. Finally found a small mom and pops store an hour down the road that had one and it was $10.00 cheaper then my dealers.