Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 4,084
Deck pitch

Does anyone here pitch there ztr deck lower in the back than the front?
If so, why?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Does anyone here pitch there ztr deck lower in the back than the front?
If so, why?
Dixie Choppers at one time they was setting there's that way so can get the double cut with there X blades

On some grass might work on but on Fescue lawns doesnt
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,136
My grasshopper is and I can't figure out how to change it. It cuts awesome though. You don't get the stragglers normally, but can make the grass look wavy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 AM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 4,084
I just dont think Ive ever heard of anyone deliberately doing that with a deck. It doesn't make sense to me at all!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I just dont think Ive ever heard of anyone deliberately doing that with a deck. It doesn't make sense to me at all!
it robs HP. Think about running a reverse pitch on your trimmer and what that does.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 4,084
I get why not to do it, the problems could be many but Ive recently heard of people choosing to do it. Just crazy to me!
Think of all the clippings being circulated around each chamber, as if there isnt enough already. Then, those clippings will be thrown from discharge side to trim side of the deck, kinda, if you know what I mean.
I can imagine clippings getting mashed up if theres any moisture etc so, I get why not do it, my question is, why would anyone do it deliberately?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:19 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I get why not to do it, the problems could be many but Ive recently heard of people choosing to do it. Just crazy to me!
Think of all the clippings being circulated around each chamber, as if there isnt enough already. Then, those clippings will be thrown from discharge side to trim side of the deck, kinda, if you know what I mean.
I can imagine clippings getting mashed up if theres any moisture etc so, I get why not do it, my question is, why would anyone do it deliberately?
Walk behinds that are set from the front wheels work this way I think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM
southerntide's Avatar
southerntide southerntide is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,798
Backpitch is hard on the mower and engine scalps more.

Front level or 1/8" is best and cuts much better.
__________________
2015 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 54" 23.5 hp Kawi 3700 rpm's (GreenFleet 24/7 up time)
OCDC - Grassflap HD mounted - Standard set to side
Stihl - FS70, Kombi KM110 - Articulating hedge trimmer & pole saw, BG Blower
Echo's put out of misery
5x10 beaver tail
Xtreme Trailer Rack 3 unit & motor supports
W.E. Chapps Trimmer Covers
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 8,074
Scag, according to their operators manual wants the Velocity+ deck perfectly level front to back...I've never really understood this, but definitely cannot understand a reverse pitch.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Scag, according to their operators manual wants the Velocity+ deck perfectly level front to back...I've never really understood this, but definitely cannot understand a reverse pitch.
Lastec decks work that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.07119 seconds with 8 queries