Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Are we talking ZTR'S or WB's? If we're talking ZTR's, I want to hear these half dozen names off the top of your head because I've owned some top brands and Scag has them beat. If we're talking WB's, well...
Scag is old school. Same for Dixie. You couldn't give me one especially that damn turf tiger you guys worship on here.

Exmark, gravely, Deere, and husqvarna I would take before a scag
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Scag is old school. Same for Dixie. You couldn't give me one especially that damn turf tiger you guys worship on here.

Posted via Mobile Device
Well, the Exmark Turf Tracers, Vikings, and metros are old school as well. The designs have been pretty much the same with minor changes for a long time. That said, those mowers are tanks. I am an Exmark guy by nature but I can admit the Scag Turf Tiger is still a relevant mower, and what about the Cheetah?

Gravely is just incredible though.
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Ive said this a million times,
Ill say it again.

Scag is unbeaten for durability. If you are going to own a half dozen or more mowers that your employees run, and abuse on a daily basis. Scag is unparalleled. It's like the family dog that the kids pour stuff on, put bows it its hair, sit on, jump on and the dog never gets angry, it just puts up with the kids.

That's scag.

BUT… I can name a half dozen mowers off the top of my head that cut better, are more productive or more comfortable than scag.

Not a one of them will put with with the crap an employee will do to them like a scag will.
Which has the better cut? And which is more affordable?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Ferris has the best hydro walk behinds, always have always will.

Exmark has better marketing, fleet programs and exposure… Ferris has, for whatever reason always been a foot dragger when it comes to getting out there and being a competitive brand.

When it comes to riders, Ferris has a neat thing with their shocks, Im just not convinced it really does what they think it does.
I for one REALLY dislike the 3100z.

But enjoy making the production records of other mowers look stupid in comparison to my Evos.

I would really really like to get a bunch of people to start buying Ferris walk behinds (still toying with the idea of a Ferris dealership)
Says you are from Wasilla. Theres only a toro, walker, JD and husky out there. Are you a dealer already? It would be great to have another brand around to purchase.

I've always wondered about the shocks on the Ferris mower. Do they actually make a difference?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I don't trust Gravely... yet. I realize they're re-making themselves and are supposedly putting out some nice equipment nowadays but it wasn't long ago that they were a step behind the competition.

I don't trust JD either. A contractor friend of mine owned a couple of JD ZTR's... briefly. He dumped them because he had a lot of issues with those mowers. They were something like 2007 or 2008 models... so maybe things are better with JD now.

I don't even consider Husqvarna on the same level as the other machines you've mentioned here.

I've owned and ran Exmarks and Toro ZTR's for over a decade. They're fine machines, no doubt about it. I still own a couple and I do prefer Exmark WB's. But in 2013 I purchased 3 Turf Tigers and it was a good move for me. My crews have become more productive since adding the Turf Tigers. So much so that in the spring 2014, I added a 72" Scag Cheetah. I imagine I'll probably run Scag until something better comes along... but at a similar price point, I don't see anything that beats Scag currently. If I believed there was something better, I'd switch because I am not brand loyal. I run Scag ZTR's because, in my opinion, they're the best and that's the same reason I run Exmark WB's. I couldn't careless about the color of the machine. I care about getting the job done and doing it well.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check out the pz huskys. Very nice machines.

Scags and exmarks aren't really comparable. Two different mowers for different situations. You cannot bEat any exmark qoc on a quality fescue lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Check out the pz huskys. Very nice machines.

Scags and exmarks aren't really comparable. Two different mowers for different situations. You cannot bEat any exmark qoc on a quality fescue lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Of course they're comparable - they're both commercial grade ZTR's. I think you seriously underestimate the cut of the Velocity Plus deck. Everyone likes to say "you can't beat the quality of the cut on an Exmark". It's a nice cut but the Velocity is right there with it and the Scag is a more versatile machine.

BTW, high end is what I do. I wouldn't switch ZTR brands if I wasn't sure I could maintain the same quality of service.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The next ZTR I buy may be another Exmark. I'm interested in the "Red" technology but I'm waiting to see how that pans out.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Red tech is for employees that don't know their thumb from their... You can't screw up the pto engagement rpms and it also has a setting where the mower cannot be put at full throttle to save fuel because the crew beats everything to hell. I suppose it would be good for everyone but it's clearly made for owners that aren't as involved as a solo or two man crew. You have to understand ex mark/toro has 50% market and most of that is huge companies with many trucks. Equipment has to be easy to use and tough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
I don't trust Gravely... yet. I realize they're re-making themselves and are supposedly putting out some nice equipment nowadays but it wasn't long ago that they were a step behind the competition.

I don't trust JD either. A contractor friend of mine owned a couple of JD ZTR's... briefly. He dumped them because he had a lot of issues with those mowers. They were something like 2007 or 2008 models... so maybe things are better with JD now.

I don't even consider Husqvarna on the same level as the other machines you've mentioned here.

I've owned and ran Exmarks and Toro ZTR's for over a decade. They're fine machines, no doubt about it. I still own a couple and I do prefer Exmark WB's. But in 2013 I purchased 3 Turf Tigers and it was a good move for me. My crews have become more productive since adding the Turf Tigers. So much so that in the spring 2014, I added a 72" Scag Cheetah. I imagine I'll probably run Scag until something better comes along... but at a similar price point, I don't see anything that beats Scag currently. If I believed there was something better, I'd switch because I am not brand loyal. I run Scag ZTR's because, in my opinion, they're the best and that's the same reason I run Exmark WB's. I couldn't careless about the color of the machine. I care about getting the job done and doing it well.
Every one I have talked to out in the field that owns a Deere does not like it. Gravely I hear are good units these days.

I like Scag, Exmark and Toro for the most part, as well as Bob-Cats. I am with Dathorpe on this too, nothing really beats an Exmark Walk Behind. Gravely and Bob-Cat are really close though.
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T