Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see other LCOs everywhere here

There are certain areas where I see more of them. Maybe I should pass out flyers there; it could go either way, I suppose. There's an area with bigger than average lawns (I have avoided it because I need a bigger mower) where if I sit in one place for a few minutes, I will see several lawn services go by during that time.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's very competitive in Florida. Everyone and their brother, cousin, best friend, second best friend and fifteenth cousin twice removed has a lawn care service. Along with every Mexican immigrant (no offense to Mexican immigrants).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a lot more walk behinds being towed by SUVs and push mowers in the back of pick ups this year than ever before, it's nuts. I'm hoping some of them hang it up soon.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone must be playing catchup due to the 4th of July holiday. Yesterday, I saw 3 rigs just driving through my neighborhood on the way to my first cut, and I swear the number of rigs out yesterday doubled or tripled overnight.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
I've seen a lot more walk behinds being towed by SUVs and push mowers in the back of pick ups this year than ever before, it's nuts. I'm hoping some of them hang it up soon.
Eleven out of ten guys here started out that way. Why are you picking on your own kind?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the more the merrier, all we have to do is be the best and the work will follow!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Only a few big companies here but lots of smaller ones and even more part timers and county boys doing it cheap. I honesty don't even worry about the competition just keeping focus on my business. Did see to dope heads running around in a rusty suburban with farm tags on it and the trailer with 2 ztrs on the back in the middle of the city. I'm sure they won't last long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Atl metro area is huge. Many well established medium sized companies. However, there is a ton of work
Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

There Is Around 10 Licensed Lawn Care Company's In My Town Of 19,000 & Probably 20 More That Ain't Licensed. In A Nearby Town Of Over 200,000 There's Probably 200 Licensed Business's & 1 Of Them Has Yard's In Every Town Of A 100 Mile Radius! They Got Big 1 Ton Truck's & They Use Big Ass Tractor's On The Golf Course's!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Over 100 companies in my home town. About 100 more in my 2nd town and about 50 more in the 3 town I work in. So 250 is a good guess. Back in 2004 when I did the yellow pages I was rather upset when I counted 256 landscapers in the book and that didn't count the under the radar ones.

But the number of landscapers isn't the major factor its how much work is available. Now when I use to do advertizing I did buy the grand lists from the towns I work in and so I know the number of single family residential homes in my area. 29k+19+5.6k so basically 55,000 homes. Figure 33-50% of them will use a service so 18,000-27,500 homes in my area need a landscaper. So that means there are enough homes roughly for 250 landscaping companies with 100 accounts a each. Some like myself have 170 of those accounts and many others have much fewer 20-50 accounts each. Some are growing and others like myself are happy with there current size and only accept new ones to maintain that number.

And I didn't even include 1000s commercial accounts or condos which massively increase the amount of available work for everyone. Point is even with 250 competitors its not saturated.