Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

well an oil change at most dealers and regular shops pays the mechanic 2 tenths of an hour(12 minuets). and then if you get the rotate they add 1/10 so another 6 minuets. and they are also trying to look over your car for any possible up sells and safety issues that may need to be addressed. also when the engine is designed they don't always think where the oil is going to drip...like the Chevy traverse the oil filter is on the front side of the engine and drips into the cradle for the motor and you end up spending 10 minuets just trying to clean that up so the customer doesn't complain of drips on their driveway or garage floor. and not to mention when people are o their way home from work and have sat in traffic for over an hour and the oil is now boiling hot as well as the drain plug and oil filter or you burn the crap out of your arm on the exhaust trying to contort around it for the oil filter lol. and on another note most of the oil change people are just kids trying to get into the field and that's what your getting is a minimum wage job by some flipper kid that wasn't raised with the same values a lot of us grew up with or have a really crappy work ethic

sorry for the rant
Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At the oil fill, alot of times the oil gun has to be pointed 23.5° left of centerline, 14.2° vertical of the horizontal plane and the oil must be delivered at precisely 8oz per minute at 4.6 psi. If its not, it will splash everywhere. ;-) that being said, they should have cleaned it with some brake clean. Lol.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
At the oil fill, alot of times the oil gun has to be pointed 23.5° left of centerline, 14.2° vertical of the horizontal plane and the oil must be delivered at precisely 8oz per minute at 4.6 psi. If its not, it will splash everywhere. ;-) that being said, they should have cleaned it with some brake clean. Lol.
so true i hated that crap lmao
Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
no i'm not talking about the oil filter. i'm talking about on top of the engine where you pour the oil into it.

heck i would change the oil myself if i could. i used to do it all the time on my 1988 toyota truck. now on my 2009 they have 2 different oil drain bolts and the oil filter is way up in there where you can't get to it unless you have the truck up on a lift which i don't have.

they also try to confuse the crap out of people. the manual says use 6.1qts when you do an oil and fliter change. you use that much and it's way over the full mark on the dipstick. you use 5 qts it's at the full mark on the dipstick. many people put 5.5qts and go with that. the dealer always puts 6.1qts in it. i just let them do it and i don't fool around with it anymore.

my old truck is was easy. it said use 4.5qts and that amount went right to the full mark on the dip stick. the oil filter was easy to get to right above the right front tire.

heck i don't care to do it anymore anyways. to me it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. i'm getting a new deck belt tomorrow. it's worth it for me to pay them $25 to put it on for me. that way i don't have to fool around with it out there sweating in the heat.
I do all my own stuff, so if oil is on top of the engine its ok.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i took my own oil. 6 qts worth. so all they had to do was add .1 qt of oil. they can't do that without spilling it on the engine?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh... and always go by the book on oil capacity, not the reading on the stick. I have seen many TSB's from many manufacturers stating this. If the FSM wants 5.5qts, put 5.5 in it. IIRC toyota was good for this. (I managed a quick lube for a few years and saw alot of this).
Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
it not really mechanics it's the people scheduling there work and try to shove so much work down there plate they can't keep up. They have them jumping around from job to job so some things get overlooked
Posted via Mobile Device
its not the service writer scheduling the work.

Its the customer, forcing he service writer to make promises."I have to have this now, I was promised this, You said that"

ALL customers are like this.

ALL of them think because they could potentially pay a bill, maybe possibly someday, that they should be your most valued priority customer.

anyone who answers the phone is inundated with demands, and it;s stressful.

so the proverbial Sh*t runs down hill…

I was going to start a thread about this actually, all the wild wacky customers lately, well in the last 5 years or so, all seem to be getting worse.

I blame smart phones and the internet.
People are just used to getting things instantly and not waiting in any sort of line.
they think because they got you on the phone, that they are somehow "next"
Old 07-03-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG NICKY View Post
well an oil change at most dealers and regular shops pays the mechanic 2 tenths of an hour(12 minuets). and then if you get the rotate they add 1/10 so another 6 minuets. and they are also trying to look over your car for any possible up sells and safety issues that may need to be addressed. also when the engine is designed they don't always think where the oil is going to drip...like the Chevy traverse the oil filter is on the front side of the engine and drips into the cradle for the motor and you end up spending 10 minuets just trying to clean that up so the customer doesn't complain of drips on their driveway or garage floor. and not to mention when people are o their way home from work and have sat in traffic for over an hour and the oil is now boiling hot as well as the drain plug and oil filter or you burn the crap out of your arm on the exhaust trying to contort around it for the oil filter lol. and on another note most of the oil change people are just kids trying to get into the field and that's what your getting is a minimum wage job by some flipper kid that wasn't raised with the same values a lot of us grew up with or have a really crappy work ethic

sorry for the rant
LoF (lube oil filter) does not make a shop money.
It's the chance to find something else, the upsell, the air filter, the windshield wipers, the head/signal light.

Or better yet, ball joints and breaks or tires.

The only way Oil change joints make money is because they have one tech run 2-3 of them simultaneously.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
LoF (lube oil filter) does not make a shop money.
It's the chance to find something else, the upsell, the air filter, the windshield wipers, the head/signal light.

Or better yet, ball joints and breaks or tires.

The only way Oil change joints make money is because they have one tech run 2-3 of them simultaneously.
Yep they loose money just in paying me to perform one. Instant oil change places are even doing upsells now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Oh... and always go by the book on oil capacity, not the reading on the stick. I have seen many TSB's from many manufacturers stating this. If the FSM wants 5.5qts, put 5.5 in it. IIRC toyota was good for this. (I managed a quick lube for a few years and saw alot of this).
That's a good way to get your ass chewed out by the customer.

Always go by the dipstick
Posted via Mobile Device