Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Question Question on the best seat for Ferris ZTR

A question for anyone who has tried any seat options. I have put a deposit down on a Ferris IS2100Z with a 32hp Vanguard motor and 61" deck which is scheduled to arrive here in New Zealand in September. I know this model has suspension but are keen to get the best ride possible having had back problems in the past. There are three options available to improve the ride that I have found so far: -
1) have a Ferris suspension seat insert installed.
2) have a Ferris suspension seat installed.
3) have a "Puffer" air insert installed.
There may be better options people have discovered than the above. If so I would really like to hear about them or how you found any of the above options.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The Ferris suspension seat is made by Milsco. It's an excellent seat choice. I wouldn't go for the suspension seat insert or whatever. The bees knees right now is the Grammer suspension seat. The quick & easy answer is the Ferris suspension seat (built by Milsco). The great seat is the Grammer. You'll have to add it later since they don't offer it factory from Ferris.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztr enthusiast View Post
A question for anyone who has tried any seat options. I have put a deposit down on a Ferris IS2100Z with a 32hp Vanguard motor and 61" deck which is scheduled to arrive here in New Zealand in September. I know this model has suspension but are keen to get the best ride possible having had back problems in the past. There are three options available to improve the ride that I have found so far: -
1) have a Ferris suspension seat insert installed.
2) have a Ferris suspension seat installed.
3) have a "Puffer" air insert installed.
There may be better options people have discovered than the above. If so I would really like to hear about them or how you found any of the above options.
Thanks
if you have back problems, you should have gotten a Ferris Evolution.
Do they still have a 52" available to you in New Zealand in that model?
Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the lowdown winchester83. I'm curious as to whether you have had anything to do with the "Puffer" air insert?

TPendagast thanks for the response. My back isn't really bad but years ago I had an IS3000 and found the bouncing around was more than my back wanted - admittedly I just had the standard seat and the paddock I was cutting had been pugged up by beef animals over winter so not ideal mowing conditions. I just wanted to get something this time around that would be kinder to my body than what I had last time.
I haven't seen the evolution available here. Early in my research I was very interested in them but they don't seem to make it down here. Cheers.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked into the suspension insert. It's just a part that bolts between the standard seat & the frame that gives some extra cushion. I think they run around $250 here in the US. We saw some of those several years ago. They're alright, not great. You still use the standard seat & the insert kit isn't as good as the true suspension seat. For $250 I'd roll that towards the Milsco suspension seat. At $250 you're halfway to the full suspension seat. With the Milsco seat the suspension system is better & the seat is better. My only other recommendation would be to try to find a grey seat vs. a black one. Keep you from burning your biscuits in the summer time. I'm sure Milsco makes it in grey & black. Hustler uses the grey one as well as many others.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester83 View Post
I looked into the suspension insert. It's just a part that bolts between the standard seat & the frame that gives some extra cushion. I think they run around $250 here in the US. We saw some of those several years ago. They're alright, not great. You still use the standard seat & the insert kit isn't as good as the true suspension seat. For $250 I'd roll that towards the Milsco suspension seat. At $250 you're halfway to the full suspension seat. With the Milsco seat the suspension system is better & the seat is better. My only other recommendation would be to try to find a grey seat vs. a black one. Keep you from burning your biscuits in the summer time. I'm sure Milsco makes it in grey & black. Hustler uses the grey one as well as many others.
Thanks for the recommendation Winchester33. That makes sense.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Best for Ferris ZTR

You should check with fatboynormie before you make a decision.
He actually owns a ZTR Puffer and has used it for some time now.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbernholt@aemcnc.com View Post
You should check with fatboynormie before you make a decision.
He actually owns a ZTR Puffer and has used it for some time now.
Thanks for that. I was hopping to hear from someone who has used the Puffer but had no responses so i've ordered a Grammar seat which is 28% more expensive (including delivery) but seems to have good feedback.