Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

heat exhaustion...solo... fourth of July Friday

Old thread...but I pushed myself yesterday and had something between heat exhaustion and stroke... I was pushing myself to be done before Friday (fourth of July for people having parties) and that Tuesday was a tropical storm. Now I'm taking today off to rest my heart and rehydrate... Hopefully people don't drop me...I told them my wife had an emergency because I am a solo and don't want them to think I'm not physically up to the job. I am a real nose to the grindstone guy and hate excuses and days off but I think the wise thing is to protect my health. No health insurance because I got screwed with the reform and I'm solo...mad at myself for taking it off but I know it's wise... Just can't stand something like this can pop up and maybe affect my business if some customers don't understand. Its scary both economically and health wise.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have this "maucho tough guy" friend who was sick for 3 days due the heat.

Ive learned to stop if I don't feel right.

The signs to take a rest are, stomach feels bad, start feeling cold, start walking funny. Once you stop sweating you had better quit.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in fl so I have to regularly work in triple digits but the day after I am still feeling "fluttery and short of breath" sitting in air conditioning so I just don't wanna be in someone's huge yard by myself with no one around and pass out...definitely bad timing with fourth of July and the fact I worked so hard to get ahead of schedule and it bit me in the butt...but I will be back out Friday morning before the BBQ and parties start up ... Others got pushed to Saturday and hope they understand... They haven't responded to my messages (the ones pushed to Saturday). Can't avoid the heat in Florida but I think its wise to take today off...I know it is based on how I feel physically but need reassurance because of my Puritan work ethic/guilt. Haha...so I'm looking for reassurance...I'm sure some rabble rouser anti social internet renegade will call me a wuss because he had a heart attack once and then kept working in the sahara desert barefoot with no water for 48 hours...I'll just ask for an autograph.

Last edited by getdown; 07-03-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Larry. Thanks...you are right. People want their lawns cut but we need to watch for our health. Not worth it to make a living. I push myself not because of a macho thing, just because I'm a senseless over achiever... Can't stand macho senselessness. We gotta know the signs and take care... I was really scared yesterday...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Old thread...but I pushed myself yesterday and had something between heat exhaustion and stroke... I was pushing myself to be done before Friday (fourth of July for people having parties) and that Tuesday was a tropical storm. Now I'm taking today off to rest my heart and rehydrate... Hopefully people don't drop me...I told them my wife had an emergency because I am a solo and don't want them to think I'm not physically up to the job. I am a real nose to the grindstone guy and hate excuses and days off but I think the wise thing is to protect my health. No health insurance because I got screwed with the reform and I'm solo...mad at myself for taking it off but I know it's wise... Just can't stand something like this can pop up and maybe affect my business if some customers don't understand. Its scary both economically and health wise.
After last labor day, I spent a week in the hospital. What I have learned since, wear a big hat with lots of air space, sweat rag around your neck, and hydrate. I now drink 1 gallon of lemon water per day, and I am done by 2. I use organic lemon juice, Santa Cruz and Lakewood are the two brands. Real Lemon brand is not real lemon. It keeps me refreshed and very well hydrated.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

It's brutally hot and humid here in Virginia, too. If you're out for a long day, water is great, but also remember to replenish the electrolytes with a Gatorade or similar drink. Stay safe!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Domestic View Post
It's brutally hot and humid here in Virginia, too. If you're out for a long day, water is great, but also remember to replenish the electrolytes with a Gatorade or similar drink. Stay safe!
gatorade has too much sugar, so you get something like false energy, but you are hydrating rapidly.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Sponsor

Ah can't give more than you have got. Esp. in the hot days. We have some excellent customers we rehydrate with regularly on the hot days. Keep the water flowing for sure. We always water our gatorade down too. Love the ones that let us just borrow the hose when we want to keep cool. It helps tons.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-03-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Hey Larry. Thanks...you are right. People want their lawns cut but we need to watch for our health. Not worth it to make a living. I push myself not because of a macho thing, just because I'm a senseless over achiever... Can't stand macho senselessness. We gotta know the signs and take care... I was really scared yesterday...
You may want to take a trip to your local Pharmacy and check your blood pressure, they have those free machines.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All our customers get a list of holidays we are closed at sign up. If they need service for the holiday then we work them in earlier in the week. Tomorrow we are closed. Phone will have a message and go unanswered. Not our problem if you remember at 3 today you are having a picnic. Like everything else in life there has to be rules. My guys are off at 3 today, they earned it. I'm not going to send them back out for somebody elses poor planning. Me and my family will be at Disney until Monday. You reach a point where you stop chasing your tail for work. You work to live not the other way around. Enjoy some life, its way too short.
Posted via Mobile Device