Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 257
heat exhaustion...solo... fourth of July Friday

Old thread...but I pushed myself yesterday and had something between heat exhaustion and stroke... I was pushing myself to be done before Friday (fourth of July for people having parties) and that Tuesday was a tropical storm. Now I'm taking today off to rest my heart and rehydrate... Hopefully people don't drop me...I told them my wife had an emergency because I am a solo and don't want them to think I'm not physically up to the job. I am a real nose to the grindstone guy and hate excuses and days off but I think the wise thing is to protect my health. No health insurance because I got screwed with the reform and I'm solo...mad at myself for taking it off but I know it's wise... Just can't stand something like this can pop up and maybe affect my business if some customers don't understand. Its scary both economically and health wise.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 AM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,549
I have this "maucho tough guy" friend who was sick for 3 days due the heat.

Ive learned to stop if I don't feel right.

The signs to take a rest are, stomach feels bad, start feeling cold, start walking funny. Once you stop sweating you had better quit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 257
I live in fl so I have to regularly work in triple digits but the day after I am still feeling "fluttery and short of breath" sitting in air conditioning so I just don't wanna be in someone's huge yard by myself with no one around and pass out...definitely bad timing with fourth of July and the fact I worked so hard to get ahead of schedule and it bit me in the butt...but I will be back out Friday morning before the BBQ and parties start up ... Others got pushed to Saturday and hope they understand... They haven't responded to my messages (the ones pushed to Saturday). Can't avoid the heat in Florida but I think its wise to take today off...I know it is based on how I feel physically but need reassurance because of my Puritan work ethic/guilt. Haha...so I'm looking for reassurance...I'm sure some rabble rouser anti social internet renegade will call me a wuss because he had a heart attack once and then kept working in the sahara desert barefoot with no water for 48 hours...I'll just ask for an autograph.

Last edited by getdown; 07-03-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 257
Hey Larry. Thanks...you are right. People want their lawns cut but we need to watch for our health. Not worth it to make a living. I push myself not because of a macho thing, just because I'm a senseless over achiever... Can't stand macho senselessness. We gotta know the signs and take care... I was really scared yesterday...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 AM
ralph02813 ralph02813 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Old thread...but I pushed myself yesterday and had something between heat exhaustion and stroke... I was pushing myself to be done before Friday (fourth of July for people having parties) and that Tuesday was a tropical storm. Now I'm taking today off to rest my heart and rehydrate... Hopefully people don't drop me...I told them my wife had an emergency because I am a solo and don't want them to think I'm not physically up to the job. I am a real nose to the grindstone guy and hate excuses and days off but I think the wise thing is to protect my health. No health insurance because I got screwed with the reform and I'm solo...mad at myself for taking it off but I know it's wise... Just can't stand something like this can pop up and maybe affect my business if some customers don't understand. Its scary both economically and health wise.
After last labor day, I spent a week in the hospital. What I have learned since, wear a big hat with lots of air space, sweat rag around your neck, and hydrate. I now drink 1 gallon of lemon water per day, and I am done by 2. I use organic lemon juice, Santa Cruz and Lakewood are the two brands. Real Lemon brand is not real lemon. It keeps me refreshed and very well hydrated.
__________________
Ralph
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
1999 Chevy Silverado 1500
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Pet Domestic's Avatar
Pet Domestic Pet Domestic is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 36
It's brutally hot and humid here in Virginia, too. If you're out for a long day, water is great, but also remember to replenish the electrolytes with a Gatorade or similar drink. Stay safe!
__________________
Ethan @ Pet Domestic
Tired of mowing over dog poop? Partner with us! ($$$)
petdomestic.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
ralph02813 ralph02813 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Domestic View Post
It's brutally hot and humid here in Virginia, too. If you're out for a long day, water is great, but also remember to replenish the electrolytes with a Gatorade or similar drink. Stay safe!
gatorade has too much sugar, so you get something like false energy, but you are hydrating rapidly.
__________________
Ralph
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
1999 Chevy Silverado 1500
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Locqus's Avatar
Locqus Locqus is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detroit
Posts: 613
Ah can't give more than you have got. Esp. in the hot days. We have some excellent customers we rehydrate with regularly on the hot days. Keep the water flowing for sure. We always water our gatorade down too. Love the ones that let us just borrow the hose when we want to keep cool. It helps tons.
__________________
Paul Proctor
www.Locqus.com
Paul@Locqus.com
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2014, 12:49 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Hey Larry. Thanks...you are right. People want their lawns cut but we need to watch for our health. Not worth it to make a living. I push myself not because of a macho thing, just because I'm a senseless over achiever... Can't stand macho senselessness. We gotta know the signs and take care... I was really scared yesterday...
You may want to take a trip to your local Pharmacy and check your blood pressure, they have those free machines.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,212
All our customers get a list of holidays we are closed at sign up. If they need service for the holiday then we work them in earlier in the week. Tomorrow we are closed. Phone will have a message and go unanswered. Not our problem if you remember at 3 today you are having a picnic. Like everything else in life there has to be rules. My guys are off at 3 today, they earned it. I'm not going to send them back out for somebody elses poor planning. Me and my family will be at Disney until Monday. You reach a point where you stop chasing your tail for work. You work to live not the other way around. Enjoy some life, its way too short.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.07613 seconds with 7 queries