Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

what would you do?

i started out small gradually growing i bought the stihl kombi 55 with the residential edger attachment and the standard trimmer head. the motors getting weaker and getting harder to crank and its time to upgrade so question is would you buy a kombi 90 power head or buy a designated edger then later on down the road buy a designated trimmer.

By the way i have 2 other residential echo trimmers but this is my only edger at the time.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbf4992 View Post
i started out small gradually growing i bought the stihl kombi 55 with the residential edger attachment and the standard trimmer head. the motors getting weaker and getting harder to crank and its time to upgrade so question is would you buy a kombi 90 power head or buy a designated edger then later on down the road buy a designated trimmer.

By the way i have 2 other residential echo trimmers but this is my only edger at the time.
Did you remove the arrestor screen or clean the exhaust port? There may very well be alot of life left in the machine, and it just needs cleaned. Also what fuel/oil are you using? Use at LEAST 89 octane, with stihl Hp Ultra in the silver bottle. I, as with many others, have switched to amsoil sabre mixed at 80:1 and noticed easier starting, smoother idle and better throttle response. If at all possible use fuel with no ethanol.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I took the filter deal off the exhaust 2 years ago it stopped up fast. Actually had a dirtdobber build a nest in it during the off season and it wouldn't crank had a time figuring out why haha. I do use the ultra oil at this time.

Are the commercial power heads worth the extra weight?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

buy the 90 you will like it. But your 55 isn't done. Just take it to dealer. More than likely ethanol has something to do with the performance.