Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

T Pendiggles knows what's up....

If you are talking about needing a machine that will properly mow contours, hills, and the like...

Walker is your machine....

And I had absolutely no problem paying 13 for my 48 inch MT26 two years ago...

Why?

Just go to Walker.com and watch the videos already....

Especially the ones about the decks and how the move independent of the machine...

I.E. ... No scalping
Old 07-04-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Walker, grasshopper, deines. Possibly encore prowler, front deck deeres, ventrac/Steiner
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Deere huh? I didn't even put them on my list of potential mowers
Most excellent machine I did not have them on my list either bad dealer with Gravely left and went to new Deere place here amazing support excellent warranty, good partnerships.

I just went with the dial o turn instead of hydro on my deck I have the 920M 7 Iron Pro 48" and it's got to be the best cutting deck around now hardly gets build up inside of it being stamped deck, massive spindles, NEVER misses a blade of grass, excellent price I got on the unit as well just had came in from factory was built in May.

I will be trading in next year when I get new trailer over winter and new setup going for a 54" same model.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
T Pendiggles knows what's up....

If you are talking about needing a machine that will properly mow contours, hills, and the like...

Walker is your machine....

And I had absolutely no problem paying 13 for my 48 inch MT26 two years ago...

Why?

Just go to Walker.com and watch the videos already....

Especially the ones about the decks and how the move independent of the machine...

I.E. ... No scalping
I'm really not trying to buy another walker. They are way to expensive to fix, and it seems like they start to break down fast after a couple years.

I'm trying to stick with mid-mount machines. I'll just use the walk behinds on really bumpy/hilly lawns. I just want the ztr to be versatile. I only cut bermuda at 1.75".

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I also am In the north Atlanta area and 90% of all my lawns are Bermuda. Any zero turn is gonna scalp. Walker the way to go, I am adding one here in the next 2 week. What I use now is Exmark stand on units and walk behinds with a sulkey. In metro Atlanta 8 of of 10 company's are running Exmark walk behinds. They give you the ability to pop up the front of the mower to avoid holes and dips in the lawn to avoid scalping. Walk behinds or walkers all the way on Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernturfpros View Post
I also am In the north Atlanta area and 90% of all my lawns are Bermuda. Any zero turn is gonna scalp. Walker the way to go, I am adding one here in the next 2 week. What I use now is Exmark stand on units and walk behinds with a sulkey. In metro Atlanta 8 of of 10 company's are running Exmark walk behinds. They give you the ability to pop up the front of the mower to avoid holes and dips in the lawn to avoid scalping. Walk behinds or walkers all the way on Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device
Flowery branch huh? I'm on my houseboat in holiday marina right now. I should rephrase what I'm looking for. I already own two walker walk behinds (mw's) and I have properties with large open areas that could use a mid-mount ztr. I'm trying to find out which mid-mount will scalp the least.

The walk behinds are very demanding on my body too. I have a bad ankle which causes me to have back pain after being on a sulky all day. The turf tracers and my walkers hurt your hands too. My body needs a suspension seat and a cup holder

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!

Last edited by alexschultz1; 07-04-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe walkers super b model. If they still have same deck concept as there ghs model.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That's the issue. Everyone seems to have a certain preference and one brand doesn't reign supreme. I can get any brand of mower I want. There are a ton of dealers in my area.
Well if scalping is an issue mid mounts are far from the answer. We got a person saying gravely, another one Deere. We will get someone from exmark and scag say they don't have an issue. You said you Mow at under 2 inches sometimes. Any mid mount will have issues with that. So what exactly are your expectations because in about 10 more replies we will come to the conclusion that it's more the operator who scalps under normal conditions. Midmounts just can't hug the curves of your lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm really not trying to buy another walker. They are way to expensive to fix, and it seems like they start to break down fast after a couple years.

I'm trying to stick with mid-mount machines. I'll just use the walk behinds on really bumpy/hilly lawns. I just want the ztr to be versatile. I only cut bermuda at 1.75".
what makes you think one ZTR 48" is going to act substantially different than another ZTR 48?

I mean seriously, if we change the color and put a new name on it, some how the geometry of the footprint/deck is going to change dramatically?

you're not being realistic.

you've got Standers, ZTRS, out fronts, walk behinds, and push mowers.

Everything else is smoke and mirrors and personal preference.

If a ZTR scalps for you, you need to move to a different category.

Have you looked at maybe a three wheel like a Scag STHM or a Ferris PRO Cut?

What about a grasshopper 618? the are durable as nuts.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
what makes you think one ZTR 48" is going to act substantially different than another ZTR 48?

I mean seriously, if we change the color and put a new name on it, some how the geometry of the footprint/deck is going to change dramatically?

you're not being realistic.

you've got Standers, ZTRS, out fronts, walk behinds, and push mowers.

Everything else is smoke and mirrors and personal preference.

If a ZTR scalps for you, you need to move to a different category.

Have you looked at maybe a three wheel like a Scag STHM or a Ferris PRO Cut?

What about a grasshopper 618? the are durable as nuts.
What nuts you talking about. The kind I'm thinking about are quite fragile lol a 725dt with a 52 would be awesome for what he is talking about. I think they make a 48 as well
Posted via Mobile Device