Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good asking price for a low hours Walkbehind?

I'm looking to hear some input from you equipment experts on a good asking price for a Gravely Pro Walk 36" Belt Driven. The hours will be in the 40-50 range. (Currently has 33.) Oil and Oil filter was changed at 8 hours with (Amsoil) and again at 25 hours. I have three sets of wavy mulching blades, an extra brand new air filter, and a full mulch kit installed.

After taxes I believe I'm out $3,500.00 not counting the mulch kit, extra blades, and air filter.

I know I'm going to loose some on the deal, but hoping not to lose my butt on it on the way to the dealer to pick up a hydro.

External notes: Machine still looks brand new, I don't believe there's a scratch on it anywhere.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I'm looking to hear some input from you equipment experts on a good asking price for a Gravely Pro Walk 36" Belt Driven. The hours will be in the 40-50 range. (Currently has 33.) Oil and Oil filter was changed at 8 hours with (Amsoil) and again at 25 hours. I have three sets of wavy mulching blades, an extra brand new air filter, and a full mulch kit installed.

After taxes I believe I'm out $3,500.00 not counting the mulch kit, extra blades, and air filter.

I know I'm going to loose some on the deal, but hoping not to lose my butt on it on the way to the dealer to pick up a hydro.

External notes: Machine still looks brand new, I don't believe there's a scratch on it anywhere.
1) why are you selling/trading it?

2) it is only worth what the dealer is willing to trade you for it.
he IS the market if you are looking to trade.

What are you going to tell him? "some guy on lawn site said it was worth this"

3) don't get a gravely hydro… if you're upgrading, UPGRADE. Run don't walk to the ferris dealer and buy an FW35
Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf tracer? I hated the ferris. It's way to heavy.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
1) why are you selling/trading it?

2) it is only worth what the dealer is willing to trade you for it.
he IS the market if you are looking to trade.

What are you going to tell him? "some guy on lawn site said it was worth this"

3) don't get a gravely hydro… if you're upgrading, UPGRADE. Run don't walk to the ferris dealer and buy an FW35

I'm not following you. I don't understand why the dealer is my market and it's worth what he's willing to trade it in for? Last time I called the dealer to trade in a machine, they told me straight up, don't trade it into us because we won't be able to give you anything near what you would get if you posted it on Craigslist. So I was assuming this would be the same situation with the walk behind. I had backed out of selling my back-up belt driven Gravely. It has 348 hous, I listed it at $1,600.00 and at that time I had 10+ people contact me email and phone wanting it. I'm hoping I can get at least 25 back out of it being a brand new or nearly brand new machine.

As far as the hydro, I pretty much have my mind set on the Gravely hydro. Why? I've been nothing but happy with Gravely. Although I did have an issue, I can stand they STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. A belt broke, and although they aren't covered under warranty, Gravely sent me an email offering to send me a free replacement at no charge. Don't get me wrong, I shouldn't have had a belt issue so early in, but other then that issue this machine has been solid and seems well built. But the main issue that means a lot to me is their support and how much they stand behind their products. I have Toro, Gravely, Exmark, and Ferris locally. Out of all the dealers around here, although they don't stock the most of parts, the local Gravely dealer around here is the best. Ferris dealer is slow on service times, can be rude, had me drive all the way to one store for a part they didn't have, and then to another dealer for a part they didn't have. The Gravely dealer has always been helpful and polite. When I ordered a mulch kit, I had the option of the dealer ordering or picking it up an hour away. I picked it up an hour away because they had it in stock, but the local dealer gave a good price and said they would be willing to put it on free if I ordered it from them. Good dealers and Gravely's support has been top notch, which leads me to spending more money with them. In fact, my Toro Turf Master, I had an issue with it, all Toro will tell me is "take it to the SLOW dealer." Gravely went out of their way anytime I needed them from calling me, to messaging me on lawnsite, to emailing me diagrams.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm not following you. I don't understand why the dealer is my market and it's worth what he's willing to trade it in for? Last time I called the dealer to trade in a machine, they told me straight up, don't trade it into us because we won't be able to give you anything near what you would get if you posted it on Craigslist. So I was assuming this would be the same situation with the walk behind. I had backed out of selling my back-up belt driven Gravely. It has 348 hous, I listed it at $1,600.00 and at that time I had 10+ people contact me email and phone wanting it. I'm hoping I can get at least 25 back out of it being a brand new or nearly brand new machine.

As far as the hydro, I pretty much have my mind set on the Gravely hydro. Why? I've been nothing but happy with Gravely. Although I did have an issue, I can stand they STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. A belt broke, and although they aren't covered under warranty, Gravely sent me an email offering to send me a free replacement at no charge. Don't get me wrong, I shouldn't have had a belt issue so early in, but other then that issue this machine has been solid and seems well built. But the main issue that means a lot to me is their support and how much they stand behind their products. I have Toro, Gravely, Exmark, and Ferris locally. Out of all the dealers around here, although they don't stock the most of parts, the local Gravely dealer around here is the best. Ferris dealer is slow on service times, can be rude, had me drive all the way to one store for a part they didn't have, and then to another dealer for a part they didn't have. The Gravely dealer has always been helpful and polite. When I ordered a mulch kit, I had the option of the dealer ordering or picking it up an hour away. I picked it up an hour away because they had it in stock, but the local dealer gave a good price and said they would be willing to put it on free if I ordered it from them. Good dealers and Gravely's support has been top notch, which leads me to spending more money with them. In fact, my Toro Turf Master, I had an issue with it, all Toro will tell me is "take it to the SLOW dealer." Gravely went out of their way anytime I needed them from calling me, to messaging me on lawnsite, to emailing me diagrams.
you didn't say you wanted to sell it on craigslist, you said you wanted to trade it.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
you didn't say you wanted to sell it on craigslist, you said you wanted to trade it.

Communication error. I meant I just wanted to "upgrade." Whichever I get the most money out of it would be my route. Which would probably be selling on CL. That's why I was asking of a round about estimate of a good sale price. I have a sale price in mind, I'm thinking $2,500.00 and was hoping that sounded reasonable.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never thought you planned to trade it in. And I think that your willing to take a proper whipping at $2500. That should be low enough to attract a buyer, considering what you said you paid for it. You just need to find the person who is in the market for the machine you have.
Good luck.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Communication error. I meant I just wanted to "upgrade." Whichever I get the most money out of it would be my route. Which would probably be selling on CL. That's why I was asking of a round about estimate of a good sale price. I have a sale price in mind, I'm thinking $2,500.00 and was hoping that sounded reasonable.

well…do you see other belt drive wbs on CL selling for that much?

how much do you sell on CL at all?

I see stuff on CL that sits there for an eternity, sometimes it's just something that no one really wants, like a 10 food gang reel mower.

sometimes it's stuff people have way over priced, Like 9000 for a 6 year old snow machine.

so if you see a belt drive wb sit on CL and it's still there all the time? Price it lower than that.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Picture perfect lawns I wouldn't sell it for less than $2500 but thats just me let someone go buy it new if they don't like your price. Yours is still brand new and they save more than a grand. Not my mower so do as you see fit but I wouldn't give it away someone will end up buying it cause they need it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

like others have said, over priced stuff can sit on CL for forever, not that your unit at $2500 is over priced, but it's high end for it, the right buyer will see it as a steal. I saw a 1700 hour exmark laser z sit on CL for a year because the seller wouldn't budge from $3500, price it higher for some wiggle room, because you'll get emails offering 1500 for it everyday.

I think you're really taking a beating on this just to upgrade to hydro, personally I don't think it's worth it at this point, but whatever you gotta do.
Posted via Mobile Device