Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Which new trimmers?

Hello, I'm looking to buy a couple new stihl trimmers. I'm mostly interested in either the 70r or the new 94r. I don't like the 4 mix engines for trimmers so that's why it's between those two because they are two mix. Any comments would be great!

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassgrowerr View Post
Hello, I'm looking to buy a couple new stihl trimmers. I'm mostly interested in either the 70r or the new 94r. I don't like the 4 mix engines for trimmers so that's why it's between those two because they are two mix. Any comments would be great!

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you want a straight forward answer rather then a flame throwing worthless noneducational answer from users telling you one model vs. one brand is better then the other. Some details you might want to add, what are you looking for in a trimmer? Will it be used for weekly lawn trimmings or brush cutting heavy growth? Are you looking for something balanced? Are you looking for something light weight? Are you looking for something with low-end grunt? Something with torque? Something that's reliable? Most people ask which brand is better which is like comparing Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet. Your question is like asking what's better a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, v8, or diesel without telling us what the truck will be used for.

Now to my answer, without knowing any of the above details? Why are you set on Stihl? There are many great, great trimmers out there, your eliminating many of them off the muscle by having one brand as a choice. So to answer your question, neither. I've ran three different brands as demo's and owned two different brands as of today. The two Stihl's I demo'd both we're on the heavy side and neither one of them seemed well balanced. Not to mention that's all my neighbor runs and I see him constantly pissed off with electronic ignitions or carburetor issues on the new Stihl's. I've ran Echo trimmers for a while, but recently switched to Husky. I like the Shindaiwa's and RedMax Trimmers, but Husky has my vote for the best trimmer for weekly trimming. The 223 and 323 is one of the lightest and most balanced machines on the market and could probably nearly buy two for the price of one Stihl.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive never had a problem with my stihls. I wanted something, light weight and dependable cause I use it daily for just trimming grass. I went with the fs 45 and the fs 46. I stuck with the home owner models because they were lighter. And they're a little bit cheaper so when one.does die its cheap to.replace. ill probably buy another one here soon an fs 40
Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
If you want a straight forward answer rather then a flame throwing worthless noneducational answer from users telling you one model vs. one brand is better then the other. Some details you might want to add, what are you looking for in a trimmer? Will it be used for weekly lawn trimmings or brush cutting heavy growth? Are you looking for something balanced? Are you looking for something light weight? Are you looking for something with low-end grunt? Something with torque? Something that's reliable? Most people ask which brand is better which is like comparing Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet. Your question is like asking what's better a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, v8, or diesel without telling us what the truck will be used for.

Now to my answer, without knowing any of the above details? Why are you set on Stihl? There are many great, great trimmers out there, your eliminating many of them off the muscle by having one brand as a choice. So to answer your question, neither. I've ran three different brands as demo's and owned two different brands as of today. The two Stihl's I demo'd both we're on the heavy side and neither one of them seemed well balanced. Not to mention that's all my neighbor runs and I see him constantly pissed off with electronic ignitions or carburetor issues on the new Stihl's. I've ran Echo trimmers for a while, but recently switched to Husky. I like the Shindaiwa's and RedMax Trimmers, but Husky has my vote for the best trimmer for weekly trimming. The 223 and 323 is one of the lightest and most balanced machines on the market and could probably nearly buy two for the price of one Stihl.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens lawn care View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I have to agree with picture perfect lawns on this one. I run stihl and husky to but the new stihl's are not what they use to be anymore. Husky is alot more reliable in my opinion and when these stihl's craps out i'll be switching to straight husky.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl totally dominates alaska.

Yu can get echo trimmers at home depot but they don't carry the whole line.

You can find husky here and there.

No shindaiwa, no anything else… it's all dominated by stihl.

as a result we use FS55 for weekly trimming.

they are "homeowner" models because they get around certain emissions requirements by limiting the amount they plan on selling/marketing.

but those homeowner models are the commercial models of 5-10 years ago and are plenty machine for years of weekly trimming.

people need to get unstuck from their bias of "homeowner" labels without understanding WHY it's labeled as that.
but i guess ignorance is bliss.

If I was going to buy a trimmer for mow crews, it WOULDNT be a STIHL, they have the worst trimmer heads.
4 mix is junk.

Get an echo.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run an echo srm 280 and a husky 125L. The husky was my first trimmer as a homeowner 7 years ago and this is the second season of commercial work and I can't seem to break the thing LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been using echo since I started they are excellent, was thinking of switching to Sthil myself but been eyeing the Maruyama's hard lately

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We Run fs70rs for maintenance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ran them all. Shin, redmax, and stihl. The shin was a good trimmer, the redmax was good for the first year, after that we had lots of problems out of them. They were very heavy. The stihl 4-mix was junk. We picked up two stihl fs-94r a month ago and they are promising. They are lightweight, balanced well, and have lots of power. Time will tell how they hold up
Posted via Mobile Device