Register free!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I would gradually lower thecutting height to 1.75 2 inches and feed it 2-3 times a year with a 1-1 balanced fertlizer, like 15-0-15 or something similar, unless you have p deficiency. More fertilizer means more water. Jdl has 13-2-13 greens grade here. Like it on centipede, will useon everything else possibly for aug. App, we shal see. Definently use it on low cut zoysia from now on.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
I would gradually lower thecutting height to 1.75 2 inches and feed it 2-3 times a year with a 1-1 balanced fertlizer, like 15-0-15 or something similar, unless you have p deficiency. More fertilizer means more water. Jdl has 13-2-13 greens grade here. Like it on centipede, will useon everything else possibly for aug. App, we shal see. Definently use it on low cut zoysia from now on.
10-4. I'm going to try going back short again. I had it down to 13/16ths of an inch and loved the look of it cut short. I just let my silly neighbor talk me out of my couscous before the 100's+ settled in. I'm going to slowly take it back down and keep it watered. Now I admit, I've been feeding a little too much this year, and in appropriately without taking another soil test. How long do you suspect before the excess nutrients wash out?

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I am having trouble up loading a closer picture. This is what I have going on and the grass is fescue but looks stringy. I did see a lot of purple blades, is it possible that I am having the same problem.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

maybe this image will be better.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is my empire lawn, there is a seem a few feet behind the porch. The seem is where the two year old sod starts and the three week old sod starts. Fed 15-0-15 jdl value fert in mid apri and mid june. Applied arena at medium rate at time of june fert app. Gallery late feb., yard looked like hammered hell in spring because of neighbors dogs urinating daily. Aereated in may, top dressed urine spots with peat and black cow. Yard in pic has not been cut in eight days, a little shaggy. I am cutting with a rotary at two inches, will drop to one three quarter in in sept. I will apply granular 0-0-28@ 1/2 pound perk or granular micros at 3.5lbs per k, depends on what I feel at the time, next week with liquid bifen xts ate high rate for worms.Name:  20140711_191855.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  20140711_191842.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  96.0 KB
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Strip in front of wife gets walked on considerably by kids going from house to house, ver compacted, zoysia takes it way better than st. Augustine that I had planted years back. I use tater fork to loosen time to time, just bought ryan aereator that I will be experimenting with this weekend on different property.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
Strip in front of wife gets walked on considerably by kids going from house to house, ver compacted, zoysia takes it way better than st. Augustine that I had planted years back. I use tater fork to loosen time to time, just bought ryan aereator that I will be experimenting with this weekend on different property.

JDS, it's looking very good! It's gotten very long, but still looks very good! I'm sure after you cut it will be looking very, very nice! It actually looks just like my Zoysia on a "good day" and your top pictures look like mine one a "bad day." No, but seriously, the top pictures look like the issue I'm having with the exception of the brown. Might seems more stringy in those areas, but doesn't seem as "tan" colored. It's brown, but not that brown as that fescue. Now I have some fescue up front where we just over-seeded the citys area because they don't maintain it. I don't water it much and it almost looks the same color as the spots in my Zoysia. I've been observing it seems like it responds in those areas and starts putting out new shoots when I water heavily, which leads me to think it's the drought and dryness effecting it. Did I mention, nearly ever yard around here that's irrigated deeply is nearly completely dry now? We haven't seen a day below 90 in weeks, and we haven't seen rain in weeks. Anyways, so I dug a few spots in the areas that appear dry. The roots look normal I suspect. Roots are about 3-4" deep. Am I a little on the short-side or does that seem normal to you? Also, another quick question. How much N are you feeding that Zoysia with the JDL and how often are you applying? What are your days of the year to apply? I think I'm going to change up my schedule. I've been feeding too much N and FE trying to chase a dark green color that I shouldn't be chasing. It's time for a change.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The top pic gets some serious foot traffic. Path way between my neighbor and me, we have young kids. Lot of activity on turf, suprisingly ver tolerant, only issue is that soil gets compacted. Pm me, I will give you my schedule. The browner areas on the top picture are actually a few leaves, pine straw, and seed heads. I fertilize depending on soil temp., usually mid april first of the year. 3-4 inch roots seems decent depending on the age of the sod. My zoysia is less green when we dont get rain for a couple weeks, then greens up. I only water established zoysia by hand 1-2 times a week, about .5 inch per episode. I used moisture manager three weekends ago, seemed to help. 15-0-15 is what I use, pound of n & k per 1000 , per app. I supplemented some in urinedamaged spots between fert apps. I was using ammonium sulfate. Our irrigation water is 8.1ph on average plus chlorine. Sod likes to get flushed with rain water, especially if it co m es from the ocean.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Just cut empire with rotary at 2". Got half inch of coastal rain today and yesterday. Can see the seam of the newer sod a little better. Will be applying greens grade 13-2-13 with a liquid bifenthrin app. this week to new sod, bifen will go on entire lawn. Entire lawn will get full pound of k and n middle august. Family fixin to tear into yard as we speak.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JDS, it looks excellent. I knew it would look much better after it was groomed! I been meaning to pm you and get that schedule from you, I just been going non-stop lately it seems. If you have time it would be great if you could send it over to me. I know your soil is probably a little bit different then ours, but I would love to review it and see what kind of track plan you have for the Zoysia. I finally got caught up and got a little spare time today. I cut the Zoysia on 3" two days ago. I took it down to 2.5" today. I'm going to wait a few days and get it down to 2-2 1/4. I'm too afraid to go below two right now in the drought we are having. I think it will do good at two if I could get my problems corrected. I did a further inspection today and played around with the lawn a little bit. And came across some potential problems that may be causing my issues.

(Problem 1 I mentioned earlier, there was no way our lawn could be compacted being that I've aerated and composted a few times this year already. Sure enough, I took a shovel and dug into the areas where we were having issues, and the soil is VERY, VERY compacted. When we first prepped the yard, and did the Zoysia, it was all very, very hard clay and was compacted hard as a brick. I tilled it about 4" and added quite a bit of top soil. I aerated early in the year and it actually seemed the lawn responded great after the aeration. Now it's back to a very compacted state as I noticed today. I think I'm going to rent an aerator and do double or even triple passes and see if I can loosen up that soil again and then back door with a good composting.

Problem 2: After mowing I looked closer at the lawn and noticed there was a bit deeper layer of thatch since the last time I inspected. I know a thin layer is fine, I like to keep no more then about a 1/4" of thatch. After inspecting it looks like I'm probably nearing 1/2" to 1/3" of thatch build-up. I took the de-thatch rake and raked a few small sections and pulled piles and piles of thatch up.

So now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tear the lawn up while it's in active growing season and Areate, Dethatch, and Compost or if I should do one at a time instead of stressing the lawn out.