Register free!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it got dark on me this evening. I worked hard all day and managed to finish up my route a few hours early. So I went and grabbed a Ryan Aerator. I did a single pass one direction, another single pass another direction, and a third pass diagonal to ensure I loosened up that soil pretty good. I then composted the whole lawn after the aeration. I sure like that Ryan Aerator, I think I pulled thousands of plugs across the lawn. It got dark on me, so I'll be doing a balanced fert in the morning and some irrigation to help it recover and I'll keep you updated on how it does!

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got finished with the route today. I used a Ryan Aerator, core aerated one pass one direction, a second pass the opposite direction, and a third pass at a 90 degree angle. I love that machine! I think I literally pulled thousands of plugs on my lawn. It looks like I'm going to be fighting soil compaction every year. Our soil has been very poor since day one when we moved in. When we moved in it was hard as a brick with not a strand of grass. Nothing but weeds. Looks like it's going to be a yearly fight with that soil. Hopefully after a few years we'll have a manageable soil structure. I top dressed it with compost after the aeration. Then it got dark on me, so I'll be doing a balanced fert app in the morning and irrigation to help it recover and fill in and I'll keep you updated. After looking at the lawn more, I think someone was right about the lawn stressing and I highly suspect it being due to our poor compacted soil.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Let us know the results. I bought a used ryan lawnaire 4 a month ago. I have yet to use it, may do a st. Augustine lawn this saturday. I think I am going to do my areation after june app of fert next year. Will be experimenting on a few family members yards in the next week or so. St augustine is starting to get grey leaf spot here. Been very hunid and damp for a week or so. Everyone will be getting liquid fung. with insecticide this week.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
Let us know the results. I bought a used ryan lawnaire 4 a month ago. I have yet to use it, may do a st. Augustine lawn this saturday. I think I am going to do my areation after june app of fert next year. Will be experimenting on a few family members yards in the next week or so. St augustine is starting to get grey leaf spot here. Been very hunid and damp for a week or so. Everyone will be getting liquid fung. with insecticide this week.

Update:

It's only been several days since the Aeration and Composting. Note, I did a very "INTENSIVE" Aeration making several passes rather then one or even two. It tore up the yard and thinned it out pretty good. Enough to where you could see large gaps all throughout the lawn. Several days later it's filling in like crazy! I honestly feel like it's going to fill in much more dense. The lawn has a whole different color, while it isn't dark like it was when I was applying FE it has a color to it that appears "healthy." Every single area that was brown, now has new bright green shoots coming up everywhere through the areas that we're brown to where they aren't even noticeable anymore! Keep in mind, this is a couple days past a heavy aeration, so it hasn't filled back in completely, but I've seen a huge change in a matter of days! After further inspection of the aeration holes, I've found good sized white roots filling in the holes, along with shoots coming out of them!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking good, just aerated two st augustine yards today. Did the whole small yard, just thin, compacted areas in larger yard. You can almost look at the soil here and tell if it is compacted. Almost all my yards have compacted areas. I think this aerator is going to help my yards look even better. May aerate my zoysia tomorrow where everyone plays and cut through to neighbors. Have you dropped the height? Would did you think of my schedule?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
Looking good, just aerated two st augustine yards today. Did the whole small yard, just thin, compacted areas in larger yard. You can almost look at the soil here and tell if it is compacted. Almost all my yards have compacted areas. I think this aerator is going to help my yards look even better. May aerate my zoysia tomorrow where everyone plays and cut through to neighbors. Have you dropped the height? Would did you think of my schedule?

I sure hope you notice a difference. I've always understood the concept of Aeration, but I've did more and more reading on it over the past week, and I can understand how it has so many benefits, especially in compacted soil. After doing some deep reading on it, I think if you build your soil over time, boosting OM%, water retention capabilities, etc., I think there could be a point and time where it is no-longer needed. But from my understanding any soil that lacks any of he above and becomes compacted greatly benefits from the aeration. It seemed like the whole lawn turned around after just a few days. The brown areas literally are filled with bright green shoots now that look fresh. I think that big tree in the center creates even more of a problem for compaction in my lawn. Maybe it's getting some oxygen down there now. I'm seriously thinking about buying an aerator, I could sell it around here easily with the right marketing. I've seen a few Ryan's and Blue-Birds for sale locally. I checked out your schedule, I've been meaning to message you back, it looks good! I'm sure your area is a little different with some of the things you have going on in that schedule. You mentioned treating for works, where we treat for a lot of grubs down here. As far as the NPK, it looked good to me. I've been spoon-feeding, this year I think I'm going to try and do something similar to you. They say Zoysia doesn't need as much fert. or nitrogen, so I think I'm going to go your route, and see if that helps with the fungus also. I'm going to cut my apps to something very similar, (April, June, August) or something like you have going on. Where are you finding this 15-0-15 at? JDL? Does that contain FE? Also, on aerating your Zoysia, I'd say go for it. If compaction isn't too bad, I wouldn't go to the extent I did with multiple passes, but I would defiantly try it and I'd like to see if it improves the density in the end. Maybe make one pass?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who said? Not feeding trades one set of problems for another. Which is why I do not consider zoysia a good grass for where both appearance and ease of maintenance are needed. Again, lowest maintenance lawns in my town are zoysia that is not irrigated or fertilized, and shaved down to 1/4" with a reel. Lawn looks like a beige short pile carpet most of the year. Those lawns also are frequently invaded by weeds that take over dry and poor areas. Your main issue is trying to keep zoysia in an area that is dry. It does rather well in Asia because of the rain combined with high temperatures in the summer. I know I limit water if growth regulation is required. Never do I push it to the point of brown or thin grass though. How is your salinity and pH. I find out about and work on those two things before anything else.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

The 15-0-15 blend comes from jdl. It has ver little micros. I usually go out once a year, sometimes twice with a granular micro blend between fert apps. Just depends on what the turf looks like. I cut all my fert. pest. lawns except two, and they are near my weekly cuts. We have very sandy soil, so nothing binds any nutrients. I change up my program yard to yard sometimes when it comes to nutrition. Zoysia likes its N, trust me. It will just sit there until it gets it. I like the 1-1 balanced fert. so I dont deplete all carbs, in theory. Most of my customers irrigate twice a week regardless, so grass is growing fast. Only two have rain sensor, and right know they look the best. Very overcast and humid, with late day rain every other day. All lawns got some fungicide today. I treat only the spots areas and a couple feet off, seems to work. The lawns with traffice loook beat down, very damp now. 0-0-28 went on a few stressed lawns as well.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I think the idea of zoysia not needing a lot a fert care is just a sales pitch. Turf sales man say the sam thing here about centipede, it is one of the hardest to maintain. It likes low soil ph and naturally has a granny smith apple green color. Our irrigation water is on avg. 8.0. Lot of oyster shell in ground on most sites. St augustine is much greener during growing season. Centipede owners want st augustine green, hard to achieve. I have a program that has been working for three years now. Basically spoon feedin N with lots of micros. Always trying to lower ph. Got one centi. yard to 6.0, looked great, then I fired the customer. She had her neighbor apply quart of bifen xts on 2500 sq. ft of lawn because she had mole crickets, even though I told her she did not.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Who said? Not feeding trades one set of problems for another. Which is why I do not consider zoysia a good grass for where both appearance and ease of maintenance are needed. Again, lowest maintenance lawns in my town are zoysia that is not irrigated or fertilized, and shaved down to 1/4" with a reel. Lawn looks like a beige short pile carpet most of the year. Those lawns also are frequently invaded by weeds that take over dry and poor areas. Your main issue is trying to keep zoysia in an area that is dry. It does rather well in Asia because of the rain combined with high temperatures in the summer. I know I limit water if growth regulation is required. Never do I push it to the point of brown or thin grass though. How is your salinity and pH. I find out about and work on those two things before anything else.

An updated test would be a good starting point, I agree. Other then that I agree with you to disagree. I agree on what you are saying and completely believe that, I've seen you mention it in other post, about the Zoysia in your area that is not fed and irrigated, and I've read before how you mentioned the condition of the turf. I'm not saying at all, I plan to quit feeding, nor irrigating. I'm saying I plan to quit over-feeding or feeding so often. As you seen me mention earlier a month or two ago, how I was just throwing FE at it for no purpose other then to get a dark color. This is pretty much what I'm speaking of. I would never go a whole year, or half a growing season at that without feeding, yet I want to try and feed a little more "sparse" and quit throwing bad chasing the good, if you get what I'm saying.