Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Real world cut times of 60 vs 72

I just picked up a new 72 toro this week. 34 horse kohler efi, electronic variable throttle (which is too cool). I'm loving it. Now since the deck is 17% bigger I expected this thing to be 17% faster in a perfect world and at maybe 10% faster overall because there will be times you have to fuss around with contours and grade changes that the 60 doesn't have a problem with.. But here's the thing. The 72 seems waaaay faster, like 25%. Idk if I am just enjoying it more and passing the time more quickly or what. I only used it two days so I have yet to get some hard numbers of mow times. My guy pointed out that you are turning much less but the way I see it only 17% less so how can it be this much faster!?!? Is that much time really spent turning? I mean, if it is in fact 25% faster and if I replace my other 60 with another 72 then that's a total savings of 50%.... HALF!! I'd cut my mow times in half! That would be unreal. Can't wait to get some hard mow times this Wednesday and see if it's as fast as it feels. Anybody else had any similar 60-72 experience?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's exactly the reason why I wouldn't even consider buying a Ztr with a deck size less than 60", it is also why Ztr's are inefficient on lots much under an acre in size, and why once we get much below 60" decks and lots smaller than an acre in size I'd rather ride a Walk-behind.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about going from 60-72 but going from 48-60 cut a solid third off my open areas.
Ball field at church went from 85-90 min to 55-60.
Its not just fewer turns it is also cutting a wider path each pass.
just my .02
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlah View Post
Its not just fewer turns……. it is also cutting a wider path each pass.
just my .02

uhhh that's WHY there are fewer turns
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually a 72 is 20% faster than a 60" since the deck is 12" wider. The other thing is with fewer passes there is less overlap. That said, 25% is great!! Congratulations on your new mower.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the 72" deck is 17% faster if you mow 72" wide in a straight line forever and ever, next to a 60"

but with the geometry of the theoretical perfect square (which ironically is where you are going to use most of the 72" or larger equipment, is in man made areas like parks and athletic fields)

then yes, you factor the 72" extra width plus the fact there are 17% less turns, for an over all 34% efficiency.

the reason you will never actually see a full 34% increase in efficiency is just the law of averages….the median increase in efficiency you will see is 25% like you seem to be witnessing.

However, replacing your OTHER 60" with another 72" WILL NOT give you 50% realization….not unless ALL you do is big flat squares.

the 60 is far more versatile and maneuverable than the 72"

60" is pretty much the cut off, meaning you can cut ALMOST any lawn with a 60" not especially efficient on tiny properties but you can usually get it in there.

But the 72? nope won't fit or scalp.

so if all you have is big squares then yes.

but otherwise it will be an inhibition.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Every 4 to 5 passes you reduce a pass by one, so less turns. Percentage of the overlap to deck width is much smaller, so you are getting that full 12"s of cut per pass also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2014, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you use the 60", you are cutting a 58" section if you have 2'' of overlap. With a 72" you are cutting 70". 70 minus 58 equals 12. 12 divided by 58= 21% increased coverage.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
the 72" deck is 17% faster if you mow 72" wide in a straight line forever and ever, next to a 60"

but with the geometry of the theoretical perfect square (which ironically is where you are going to use most of the 72" or larger equipment, is in man made areas like parks and athletic fields)

then yes, you factor the 72" extra width plus the fact there are 17% less turns, for an over all 34% efficiency.

the reason you will never actually see a full 34% increase in efficiency is just the law of averages….the median increase in efficiency you will see is 25% like you seem to be witnessing.

However, replacing your OTHER 60" with another 72" WILL NOT give you 50% realization….not unless ALL you do is big flat squares.

the 60 is far more versatile and maneuverable than the 72"

60" is pretty much the cut off, meaning you can cut ALMOST any lawn with a 60" not especially efficient on tiny properties but you can usually get it in there.

But the 72? nope won't fit or scalp.

so if all you have is big squares then yes.

but otherwise it will be an inhibition.
No - it's all part if the original gain. The additional benefit is coming from extra speed, power , ergonomic seat, etc. There is also a mathematic advantage when the 72 fits just right in a smaller section where the 60 had a wasted pass to get out or a full pass for a small leftover strip of grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Tell us too how you like the machine. I almost bought a 72 Toro but could not pass up this deal. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=427947