Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Dealing with Poison Ivy

Last week, I took a job that had poison ivy growing in the yard. Not just along the fence line and up the trees, but small 1' tall shoots in the middle of the grass. I don't know how I missed it when I walked around the yard.

I told the homeowner that I cannot cut that part of the yard due to the poison ivy and left it uncut but I did cut the rest of the yard. I gave them a discount since I only cut 3/4 of their yard.

How would you all handle this? Just mulch cut it and hope the next cut will remove the poison ivy oils before I have to change out the blades? Not cut it until they spray it and remove it? Let the account go?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love doing this type of mowing and clean up. The owners usually are afraid to do it and other LCO's don't have the equipment or want the work bad enough. Get a very good price and knock it out.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I love doing this type of mowing and clean up. The owners usually are afraid to do it and other LCO's don't have the equipment or want the work bad enough. Get a very good price and knock it out.
PM me your info and I will recommend you to her. lol.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

We also love this kind of work. My brother and I are not too allergic to it. I mean we get blisters and a little itchy sometimes but, good money there. Just get you a long sleeve microfiber shirt and some rubber gloves under a cheap cloth throw away pair of gloves. Wash up immediately after the job and dont touch your face while working! With a little extra attention it can be dealt with. In my experience it can take a long time after the actual plant is dead for the oils to dissolve completely. It usually comes up pretty easily also.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Goats love poison ivy. We usually spray it but some customers dont like the chemical use so Iborrowed my neighbors goat. Tied her to a couple of cement blocks near the ivy, Left her a pan of water at the end of her rope so she wouldnt spill it and came back that evening. She cleaned it up nice after a few days of eating plus she fertilized the area as well. Win Win