Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Your preference on Bucket trucks?

Thinking of purchasing my first bucket truck for tree trimming. Have removed trees before, but never with bucket truck. Looking to buy used and not sure on boom height and many other options available on these trucks. Probably will spend $35k-45k. I know that price range limits me, but was curious if anyone had any opinions or suggestions on this topic?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You'd probably get a better answer on Arboristsite, but my only suggestion, as big as you can afford.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Bucket Truck

Ok, thanks for the quick response. Is there any certain type of truck/boom and or any other options on these trucks I might want to avoid?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about brands but with my limited experience doing tree work I would want to go high as possible 70'ish and have a small kicker engine to run the hydros and have live hydro power in the bucket to run a saw with. I think most booms are fiberglass now so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmmy View Post
Thinking of purchasing my first bucket truck for tree trimming. Have removed trees before, but never with bucket truck. Looking to buy used and not sure on boom height and many other options available on these trucks. Probably will spend $35k-45k. I know that price range limits me, but was curious if anyone had any opinions or suggestions on this topic?
i wouldn't spend that much on your first bucket truck, i would only spend 15,000-20,000 tops look on craigslist and make sure it was dot inspected recently and don't buy one with a second motor, buy a diesel with a forestry package. you want the boom hydro's pto driven in my opinion, try to get at least a 60' working height bucket, make sure its a one man bucket. i would get one with a chip box too, gmc or ford, or international would be your best bet. either get one with a cummins, dt466 or a cat 3126, there are a few other good motors, but do a lot of research about the motor before you actually buy one, i would want one under 26,000lbs so you don't need a cdl to drive it too. have fun and make sure you have a good fast chipper too, i like brush bandit 200's or 250's myself, they feed quick and you can tow them with a regular 1 ton truck no issues.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll also add to keep your eyes open for one with a boom crane as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

bucket truck

Very good to hear! Will look into some less expensive trucks. I was wondering about the CDL thing also, thanks for mentioning that. Appreciate all the information. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go. But this will definitely help me get started.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you find any suggestions? I am having same issue for I have found a bucket truck in LA for fifteen grand. Ive been a bit skeptical because the boom needs hydraulic fluid replacement and the owner does not know where to refill the damn thing. Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the National Grid Auctions through JJ Kane: http://www.jjkane.com/

We picked one up indirectly from one of their sales; '02 Freightliner with a 55' bucket. Specialty fluid is purchased through our local oil vendor (Kendall Glacial Blue, Non-Conductive). Ballpark prices from that sale were around 8-10K at the auction, plus fees. Newer ones went for more obviously.

Make sure you find a good service shop if you're purchasing used. We ran into a few bugs on our truck.