Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I don't understand why someone suggests the client should by the necessary equipment required to do the job. I assume people hire a "professional" because they have the skills and EQUIPMENT necessary to do the job. If a professional has the right equipment for the job, this is no more than a $5-600 job
Have you done a 20ft hedge before??
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Ditta&Sons's Avatar
Ditta&Sons Ditta&Sons is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posts: 592
I would price the cost of the 12' ladder and the stihl kombi with articulating hedgetrimmer plus the extendable attachment. charge him that price and you now have new weapons in your arsenal. So like the other guy said, about 5-600 bucks and now you have new equipment to do it next time
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Ditta&Sons's Avatar
Ditta&Sons Ditta&Sons is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posts: 592
Plus $100 to take it all away, completely forgot about the disposal
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM
ztman ztman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mountain pa
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Have you done a 20ft hedge before??
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, and did a 15' one over the weekend, 40 foot long, 8 foot wide. Took 3.5 man hours. Three guys with trimmers, 12 foot step, and trim away. Two gas pole trimmers and one hand held
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM
RussellB RussellB is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 2,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
I would price the cost of the 12' ladder and the stihl kombi with articulating hedgetrimmer plus the extendable attachment. charge him that price and you now have new weapons in your arsenal. So like the other guy said, about 5-600 bucks and now you have new equipment to do it next time
A 12' latter will not reach the top of a 20' hedge. He needs to be 20' up to reach across to trim the top. It is still a $500 to $600 job if you have the correct equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Ditta&Sons's Avatar
Ditta&Sons Ditta&Sons is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
A 12' latter will not reach the top of a 20' hedge. He needs to be 20' up to reach across to trim the top. It is still a $500 to $600 job if you have the correct equipment.
no, the 12' will put his feet at 10', lets assume he is 6' ...his chest is at 14' the extended kombi is over 10'....hes got it done if he has the right tools. ladder and stihl kombi with extended attachment plus articulating hedgetrimmer.
at $600 hes doing the job for free but he secures some multi tools for the future and has the client pay for it all
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I don't understand why someone suggests the client should by the necessary equipment required to do the job. I assume people hire a "professional" because they have the skills and EQUIPMENT necessary to do the job. If a professional has the right equipment for the job, this is no more than a $5-600 job

You're new at this… so Ill let it slide.

By "make them buy it for you" it means put the price of what you need to do the job INTO the price of the job.

If someone is renting a lift, they include the price of the rent in the price.

Instead, buy something you can use long term. Like the PAS.

so instead of putting $300 into the cost of the job for the lift, and all the extra time to monkey it around because it's not very agile, not to mention the damage it might do to the turf….your into the whole thing for a $500 consideration anyway…

SO INSTEAD buy the equipment, NOT rent the lift.

But you didn't know that… so now you do…

Stick to mowing lawns and under bidding 20 foot hedges they want dropped TWO FEET.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM
recycledsole recycledsole is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 1,827
I would charge around $1000 and do it in 4-6 hours with a helper.
discalmer: impossible to estimate things over the internet
__________________
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM
gottabsleeved gottabsleeved is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
no, the 12' will put his feet at 10', lets assume he is 6' ...his chest is at 14' the extended kombi is over 10'....hes got it done if he has the right tools. ladder and stihl kombi with extended attachment plus articulating hedgetrimmer.
at $600 hes doing the job for free but he secures some multi tools for the future and has the client pay for it all
Sounds right!Customer is getting a deal and he gets some nice new toys in the building.Owning a lift for most of us lawn guys is something that's just going to sit and age.Now handhelds always get used!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 PM
RussellB RussellB is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 2,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
Sounds right!Customer is getting a deal and he gets some nice new toys in the building.Owning a lift for most of us lawn guys is something that's just going to sit and age.Now handhelds always get used!
No it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.08933 seconds with 7 queries