Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

retired guys taking my lawns

Have some customers that have retired neighbors offering to cut their lawn and watch house when gone. It's the third lawn I lost like that this year. Of course they do a bad cut job and do it cheap. But they keep the neighbor anyway. Anyone see a rise in retired guys headed back into work cutting lawns?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Its the law man. If you can breath on your on, you can get out and mow a lawn or two for cash
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh yeah or the "neighborhood kit" come over and scalped it right down to the dirt, too.

Somedays, when I'm REALLY tired of it?
I lower my prices so FAR that NOBODY will even DREAM of wanting to mow any of MY yards!
And do a really super job to boot, all the extras, everything.

Last edited by herler; 07-10-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They ought to be run out of town.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder how many of you had the neighbor guy repair your truck, AC, replace your hot water heater etc. In the end it all works out.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^^^Yep.

If one doesn't expect somebody else to do a job they do, don't get into a business that most anybody can do.

Lowering prices or meeting theirs certainly makes no sense. Find another customer and eventually if/when the other calls you back, charge them more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

That's me, the old guy mowing lawns. You think I don't lose business the same way? I get a kick out of it and it frees me up to do other lawns. I won't cut anything under $35.00 and I don't have any of them, either. I might have you beat on other work, though, since I don't have any payments on any equipment. I could stroke out at any time and wouldn't want to cloud my estate with that kind of annoying detail.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Have some customers that have retired neighbors offering to cut their lawn and watch house when gone. It's the third lawn I lost like that this year. Of course they do a bad cut job and do it cheap. But they keep the neighbor anyway. Anyone see a rise in retired guys headed back into work cutting lawns?
Posted via Mobile Device
Have not had this problem, tons of landscapers and hacks here but haven't lost any lawns in the past 5 years under that circumstance. Only lost lawns due to house sales or income related problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do I count as the annoying person if I cut a lady in my neighborhood for free, but charge the rest normal prices?

I used to mow this ladies lawn for about $15 back when I was in elementary and middle school. I was able to get my church to count her yard as community service for my confirmation in 8th grade. After that I cant bring myself to start charging her. She is very limited on money and a super nice old lady to me. I am now 28, so I have been doing it for free for 15 years.
Every month she asks me to send her a bill for what she is past due, but I tell her I keep forgetting to do it.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
Do I count as the annoying person if I cut a lady in my neighborhood for free, but charge the rest normal prices?

I used to mow this ladies lawn for about $15 back when I was in elementary and middle school. I was able to get my church to count her yard as community service for my confirmation in 8th grade. After that I cant bring myself to start charging her. She is very limited on money and a super nice old lady to me. I am now 28, so I have been doing it for free for 15 years.
Every month she asks me to send her a bill for what she is past due, but I tell her I keep forgetting to do it.
You're far nicer than I'll ever be, would never do that. Except for my parents.
Posted via Mobile Device