Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't know 400k is high end, but mowing late may be up to the individual home owner reguardless of the value of there home.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I didn't know 400k is high end, but mowing late may be up to the individual home owner reguardless of the value of there home.
Around here anything over $400K would be considered high end for the most part.... Until a few years ago you'd never see anything over $1M, but they are slowly starting to be built, inflation sucks!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It really isn't't about the value of the home so much as it is the quality of the outside of the home. There are some really nice lawns of middle class people that take pride in what they have. I also think 4-5pm is the limit on mowing in these type areas. The few that is have in these areas I try to hit first right after I get off work. One of them is a junk yard but it is close to 1 million dollar home built in 1840s.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started mowing, I used to do it part time as well. I started around 3 or 3:30 and would go until 5 or 6. Although it was only a few hours, I scheduled accordingly for 1 reason...when the late fall hits and it starts getting dark at 5.

I also wanted to set a cut off time for my customers. Whether its them eating outside, watching tv, putting kids to bed, etc, my customers shouldn't have to be bothered by lawn mowers and loud noises at night. I remember as a kid, I had a 7pm bed time. If a lawn crew showed up at my house at 8pm to mow, I bet you my parents would flip out!!

But as far as timing of mowing "high end" homes....it doesn't matter at all. Just be respectful of them and the time your showing up.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
It really isn't't about the value of the home so much as it is the quality of the outside of the home. There are some really nice lawns of middle class people that take pride in what they have. I also think 4-5pm is the limit on mowing in these type areas. The few that is have in these areas I try to hit first right after I get off work. One of them is a junk yard but it is close to 1 million dollar home built in 1840s.
The whole thing about it is that regardless the cost of the home, everyone deserves your best quality. I don't have a pic of the front of this property, but it is a great lawn and stripes excellent. Even in this sub-division we try to be done by 5. We have 16 properties in it.

I'm not saying that we get everything residential done by early afternoon because we don't. We have quite a few residential properties with acreage that gets done sometimes later, and they are my favorites. It seems, at least around here, the people with "money" who are out in the country, are much more laid back and friendly. These are the ones toward the end of the day I don't mind if me or my guys spend a few minutes chatting with.
Name:  20140616_125736 (Small).jpg
Views: 267
Size:  65.6 KB
Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

100% agreed!^^^^^
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do mostly "high end" homes. 90% over 500k some close to 2 million. The price of the home doesn't matter. I have some that are near 500k and don't want me cutting later than 6. I have one family in a 900k+ home that could care less. In fact, I have shown up a few times to cut after 6, only to find them on the back patio eating dinner. Each time, they insist I do what I have to do and not to worry about them. When I'm done, they offer me a glass of wine to relax. These are the same people who will leave a towel on a lounger next to the pool for me in case I want to take a dip at the end of the night. Another client gives me free reign to help myself to what ever is in the fridge in the out door kitchen on the pool patio. Another only wants it cut on fri or sat and not after 4 no matter what.

Its not about the amount of money the person spent on their home. Its about the people living in the home. Some care and have a cut off time, others could care less and appreciate a small business owner slugging through a long day to reach goals like they did and will do anything to help them along, and show their thanks with a glass of wine or a dip in a refreshing pool when its hot and humid, no matter what time it is. I am part time and don't start cutting until 3:30-4:00pm

I check with my clients if they any special requests regarding the times I cut or the days. I keep this in my client notes and act accordingly.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i work 9am-9pm some days. especially when it rains 3 days in a row or something. never had 1 complaint.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

mow before 4pm… that way the hubby isn't home from work yet and the little lady is available to bring out the iced tea (wink wink)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 AM

I have a routine of 6 am(commercial)- 7 am to 4 pm--4:30(sometimes). No lunch break. I don't want to be mowing when the entire family is at home. The kids running around the yard. I want to be home for Supper time myself