Register free!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Need help tracking down a light

Hey guys,

I am trying to track down a very small, and light weight, hanging fixture. Preferably something like Nightscaping's old deck lighter would be perfect. Something that is approx. 2" wide by 4" tall and will take preferably a G4 bi-pin but SCB is acceptable too.

I need to hang a few in the top of a 12" tall magnolia tree, but the branches aren't real hefty, so weight is a big factor.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By the way, if anyone has any deck liters still lying around (unlikely) I would be happy to take them off your hands.

I kind of figured that would go without saying considering my previous post, but thought I would still put that out there.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Tim....because you bought a book...here's something for you:

FX Luminaire #LS-12 or #VL-20

Nice thing is these are easy to change lamps or convert to retrofit LED's. They are copper/brass construction....perfect for small trees or arbors.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Because he bought a book?? Really now..... Your gesture is a reciprocation of something he did to benefit you? Isn't that very much like a lighting manufacturer inviting you to the Caribbean as a gesture of appreciation for buying their products?
Sorry Mark. I don't mean to pick on you but I couldn't resist!!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon3 View Post

Nice thing is these are easy to change lamps or convert to retrofit LED's. They are copper/brass construction....perfect for small trees or arbors.
Thank you Mark, I appreciate the lead on the fixtures. My only concern is that they might be too heavy. The branches I want to hang them from are about the thickness of one of my fingers. I usually will never use an aluminum fixture, but I am considering it in this case, because of the weight factor. I'll see if I can get some weight specs from FX on these.

By the way- I enjoyed the book. Thanks to you and Mike for preserving Nightingales work. It's amazing how relevant it is still today. I was finally lucky enough to acquire signed copies of both of his books. Lucky Indeed!

Regards

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Sponsor

Mark,

Can you provide a link for others to buy this book?

Thanks,

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon3 View Post

This response is amusing. When I posted pictures of my DIY project recently, I received a "free" recommendation to incorporate this exact fixture (I'm sure Tim saw that recommendation). You in turn chaistized anyone that offered me any "free" assistance (claiming it was bad for the industry or some other nonsense), yet now you suggest the exact same fixture on an apparent "quid quo pro" basis.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
Mark,

Can you provide a link for others to buy this book?

Thanks,
You can get the paperback at Amazon here.

I got the Kindle app version earlier for $3.99 for the iPad. Do not see that now.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

It's pretty obvious to see that most of you are just trying to go on some sort of offensive with me....I understand that, as I've rattled the cage here. Personally....don't really care.

Some of you and Ganny....still don't get it?? I am willing to help the Contractor-Designer with offering information, but NOT the DIY'er/homeowner. Especially so on an open forum like this... It's not that hard to understand, so my offering of info to Tim is for this reason. And I mentioned the book because he was "open-minded" enough to actually go and purchase it. So, I wanted to offer something back for that consideration.

I say this, because quite a while back....I decided NOT to get involved or at least limit my involvement on this forum group. That means....I made the decision to not aid others (even contractors) here, because I feel this forum has gone astray.....not to be mean, but to be real....this forum has allowed its supporters/sponsors to control them. You say something unpleasant and it gets deleted or at least it did for quite some time. We all know the stories about that and this all started with me....when Steve P. (Cast) at the time did some things here. I chose to not be involved unless something important enough came up. That is why you do not see me on here much....I occasionally will look at it, but that's about it.

With that said, offered my input to Tim only on this.....yes, it was reciprocity...purely in this case. I provide plenty of information outside of this group, when I can.

And, Jana.....you are lucky to have gotten that Kindle version....it was by accident, as our publishing company screwed up! We were only going to offer softback's and hardback's to the trade/public.

A final note....regardless if you like or appreciate Mike Gambino or myself, this book we released to the public is a historical book on our specialized trade......by Frank B. Nightingale...the father of garden lighting. It's a must have for any serious trade professional....this is not a sales pitch, because he truly is the mentor for this industry art form. Each of you who profess to be "professionals" and still doesn't have this book is missing the boat. Mike and I re-wrote this book in the exact wording from the original book that Nightingale wrote in 1958 with all his original sketches in there, plus we added our own commentary to show it's relevance in today's world.

It's amazing that many of you don't have this in your collection....we know who has purchased them or not and it's a rare find to capture one of the old Nightingale originals. We wrote this and funded the entire project to aid/benefit this whole trade and industry.....we'll be hard-pressed to ever break-even on our investment, but we don't care about that...it's the passion to keep this discipline alive and thriving, so that others can be financially successful with it. THIS IS WHY WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING AGAINST THE GRAIN with many of you and the rest of the industry. It's fallen into a downward spiral, as a whole.....you know the rest of my rant.

Anyways, if you are interested in it....here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Garde...+lighting+book
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Tim,

New stuff coming from Coppermoon very soon. I hear a copper version of the deckliter is included. Stay tuned.

Steve