Register free!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Prices for hydro seeding vs sod

What is the gong rate for prep and shooting hydro seeding vs prep and install of sod. Also what is it if the prep is already done.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will share what I can that might help you. I don't do any prep but do a lot of hydro seeding. I also talk to hydroseeders all over the country a lot due to my involvement in the hydroseeding association and other reasons.

The typical charge for hydro seeding can vary a lot depending on a lot of factors such as where you are. My standard price for hydro seeding is 10 cents a foot with a minimum that ranges from $ 300-350 depending on distance and other factors. For larger jobs I am usually around $ 3200-3500 an acre.

Some parts of the country are lower and some higher. For instance I would say the guys in New England are a little lower perhaps 8 cents a foot. I have also seen guys that have been as high as 20 cents a foot. For most of the country I would say $ .08 - $ .10 is about average.

There is always some flexibility in my pricing. If I get a job that is difficult, lots of hills or the like I am higher. I have a half dozen landscapers I hydroseed for and I will knock off a cent a foot for them. The job I will be doing on Wednesday the customer has the seed. His yard is about 38,000 sq ft and I priced it at $ 2,800. My only cost is going to be about $ 500.00 worth of mulch and fertilizer. Monday and Tuesday I am seeding a football field for a high school. The job is 2 1/2 acres and I gave them a discount to $ 3000.00 an acre. Thursday I am doing a small repair job, about 2300 sq. ft. where he put in french drains and a new driveway. It's two miles away so I quoted him $ 300.00 Friday I have a 30,000 sq. ft. job that I am doing for another landscaper so that one I quoted at 8.5 cents a foot. That might give you an idea of what you might run into on pricing.

As far as prep goes I don't do any but I would say that 8-10 cents a foot is about typical.

I also have no first hand experience with sod but that too can vary on where you are and the type of grass. I would say the range is from 35 cents a foot to about 70 cents a foot.

You are in an areas with a lot of construction and not as much completion so I think you could get by with a little higher prices than average.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's kind of a wide open question.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did the prep work for someone who was getting hydroseed and his area of 4k square feet cost him over $2k for the hydroseeding. My prep work cost another $1400 and I dumped 12 yards of triple mix on his lawn and spread it after we cut the existing lawn away. I tried to sell him on sod but he hsaid he bad luck twice already with sod, i tried to sell him on regular seed i would have done for $180. He didnt want it.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
I did the prep work for someone who was getting hydroseed and his area of 4k square feet cost him over $2k for the hydroseeding.
That's not bad. The material cost for that hydroseeding job would have been about $ 150.00 so he had nearly two grand in profit for an hour or two's work. I usually have to hydroseed all day to make that.