Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts on my new tuft tiger 26.5 koehler

Hello all, posted a thread about the scag swzu earlier. I was in the process of trying to decide between a scag turf tiger 61 26.5 Koehler or a gravely pro turn 460. I demoed both and in the end I went with the turf tiger.

I was going to post pics of cut quality yada yada but its getting dry here so they both cut great. I demoed the 460 early in the year in damp conditions in weedy yards and it did "okay" but I was told to take the baffles out and it would do a lot better. By the time I could line up having both of these mowers at the same time to compare side by side it was dry.

Sooooooooo With all this being said for the comparison it was about ride quality which is why I was even considering either of these mowers. I have the tiger cats and they do great but even with suspension seats there light weight and shorter wheelbase is pretty rough. Both of these mowers were a giant step up from the tiger cats for sure. I thought I would like the gravely air ride much better than the suspension seat on the turf tiger but honestly I couldn't tell much difference in ride quality......... No matter where I set the air ride it was never any better than the turf tiger in my opinion. My employees (only 2) agreed. We all three liked the scag better. DO NOT think I am knocking gravely!!!!!!! That mower is awesome!!

Now for the engine. That 26.5 Koehler is a gass sipper let me tell ya!!! In the beginning my rep got me a turf tiger with the 29efi which was only getting right at 1.4 gph on fuel. Then when I went to pick up my mower it was the "new" 26.5 which everyone swears was the same exact engine but I bet to differ. I couldn't tell hardly any difference in power but the 26.5 got 1 gallon per hour right off the bat. And yes these mowers were mowing in the exact same conditions as I demoed the 29efi 2 weeks ago and then the next week mowed the same exact places with my new mower with 26.5............. So I seem to thing "something" is different about the 2...... Its no power house and on some of my hilly places I can bog the mower but Ill slow down to save the type of money on fuel that I will be saving over the big block!!!!!

snapped a few pics. first one is when I got it home. Second one was after I took the cup holder off and threw it in the trash and did the same with the discharge blocker......................... Not sure how many of those shiney black scag deflectors I have in my attic but I have a bunch from taking off my tiger cats when we bought all of them!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The TT's are excellent machines. I like their looks too.

Believe it or don't believe it, but the engines are one and the same. Just a different power rating used to rate them and label them now after the class action lawsuit.

Go to Kohler's site. They only show a 26.5 (which is actually 25.5 when you look at the correct specs rating), no 29 efi. There's no 29 efi under the retired engines listing either. That's because the 29 became the 26.5 after the rating system change.

All you need to do is compare the model number designations on both engines, ie; ECV749.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...nd%20PRO%20EFI.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The TT's are excellent machines. I like their looks too.

Believe it or don't believe it, but the engines are one and the same. Just a different power rating used to rate them and label them now after the class action lawsuit.

Go to Kohler's site. They only show a 26.5 (which is actually 25.5 when you look at the correct specs rating), no 29 efi. There's no 29 efi under the retired engines listing either. That's because the 29 became the 26.5 after the rating system change.

All you need to do is compare the model number designations on both engines, ie; ECV749.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...nd%20PRO%20EFI.
Man that's what I've been told but wow the fuel consumption numbers were soooooo very far off from each other I was blown away. I did notice that at low rpm my new mower seems to be noisy as in almost like a knock but I know that can't be....... Weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya, but fuel numbers can be way off from one engine/machine to the next since there are so many variables like how tight the spindles are, the hydro's themselves etc.