Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2002 Dmax Lb7 ???

Business is great. That being said Im leaning on upgrading my truck for the winter plowing season. My 2000 Chevy does not have a plow yet and will need a couple thousand in repairs, mostly body work should I decide to invest in it for the long term.

Clean used plow truck are becoming near impossible to find and used truck prices are a little nuts.

One truck at a used dealer about an hour away is in my price range, looks clean via pics. 2002 GMC Dmax with Fisher plow 115k.

Searching the internet and plowsite it appears the injectors are the major issue. I called the dealer and was told they replaced all of them prior to putting for sale and the usual line they go through their trucks top to bottom. I live 2 miles from a great GMC dealership for service.

My questions is when these injectors go bad is there any warning or is this something that will leave me dead in the water at 4am with little to no warning? Also if they have been done is this a 1 time fix if done correct or a multiple thousand dollar repair that could keep reoccurring?

I'm not really set on a diesel, but looks like a clean truck in my price range, the diesel being a bonus I guess. Although reading these diesel forums they all seem like money pits, but are these just the few people complaining that improperly modified them or did lack if service. Stock is fine with me.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lb7 is a pretty good motor that will save you money on fuel. A full set of injectors can be a $6-8000 job so, depending on the price of the truck, it's probably more than a normal used car dealer would do.

I've found gm's from the 2000's to be prone to rust under the truck even when the body is perfect so make sure to check the frame back by the hitch. Brake lines rust out on the side of the frame right behind the drivers front tire so look for new lines. You'll also want to check for a cracked frame near the a arms from the weight of the plow. Fishers are heavy and a lifetime of stacking snow can put too much stress on that point. Even if it isn't cracked yet a good welder can add gussets as preventative. Injectors last about 100,000 miles with good filtration so, if they are new, you're in good shape. Fuel pumps (cp3's) are $500-1000 and there are two of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to duramaxfourum.com Lots of good info on there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Fuel pumps (cp3's) are $500-1000 and there are two of them.
There might be 2 CP3's on a modded truck but not on a factory equipped truck. You'll only fine one.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Have 2003 GMC 3500 Duramax Dually. Replaced injector modulator unit while still under warranty. Engine now has 467,000 miles on it. Blows a little white smoke, but still does serious work.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
There might be 2 CP3's on a modded truck but not on a factory equipped truck. You'll only fine one.
Oops! Got lost rewriting that
Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you own your current truck? If the engine is strong I would do the repairs and find a plow. You know the truck and the engine there will be no surprises. Especially this winter when you really depend on it. In the summer sure go rent a uhaul pick up to tow a trailer. It's only a 2 year upgrade and I don't want to start a gas vs diesel debate. I bought an 02 7.3 liter. It had similar mileage and is what many call a bullet proof engine. I spent over 6k in repairs with cracked injector cups and many other problems one year later. If the truck you have is reliable, 3/4 ton, and just needs body work, fix it up get it ready for the winter. A ton of guys will say get the diesel and thats fine this is just my opinion. I have no input n the injectors failing on a duramax. Just know the repairs and maintenance are very costly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allagashpm View Post
Do you own your current truck? If the engine is strong I would do the repairs and find a plow. You know the truck and the engine there will be no surprises. Especially this winter when you really depend on it. In the summer sure go rent a uhaul pick up to tow a trailer. It's only a 2 year upgrade and I don't want to start a gas vs diesel debate. I bought an 02 7.3 liter. It had similar mileage and is what many call a bullet proof engine. I spent over 6k in repairs with cracked injector cups and many other problems one year later. If the truck you have is reliable, 3/4 ton, and just needs body work, fix it up get it ready for the winter. A ton of guys will say get the diesel and thats fine this is just my opinion. I have no input n the injectors failing on a duramax. Just know the repairs and maintenance are very costly
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, yes I do own it and that is a huge consideration going into my 1st winter FT. It's a 6.0 4l80e with 135k. After reading the diesel forums and looking at other some other trucks on the internet and in the local area I think your right, set it up for winter and roll with it. In seeking other opinions go new or stick with mine and invest a little in it. The stuff in the 15-18k range does not seem to really get me much of a step up. Only a 3-5 years newer all with near or over 100,000.

I put a bunch of money into it this spring and the dealer did a lot to it prior to me purchasing it about 3 years ago. I stopped in and they said that clean plow trucks were going to be vary scarce this year and actually admitted over priced.

Some of this body work I think I can do myself that will buy me a year or 2, at which point I will be ready for new or 2nd truck.

From the outside this truck looks immaculate and I get compliments on it. This is the outside.

But what is underneath after I poked out all the rust and weak areas. Taken showing top of wheel well from tire looking up.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mag360 thank you for the info. This is a prime example of looking great on the outside, but under shows a different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to contribute!
I think you have the right idea sticking with the paid off truck. Your entire engine can be replaced for less than injectors on a duramax (or newer cummins, powerstroke) which offsets the greater life expectancy of the diesel. The 6.0 chevy motor holds up well into the 200,000 mile and higher range too - with new intake gaskets and several fuel pumps
Posted via Mobile Device