Register free!

Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Water, fungus, soil conditions do not have clear lines like that. The more I look the more I feel my opinion is correct. Were those rolls all on the same truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
As far I know they were. The people that installed own a sod farm, so it could have been cut at different time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
What type of sod was used?
easy-lift guy
Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Joe, I agree with you and Reddens; poor watering and soil conditions do not result in straight lines like that.
Clearly some rolls of sod were good--some not.

I suspect "on-pallet heat up". It results when the sod is harvested the day before. The internal temperature rises and the sod near the center of the pallet heats up and is killed from the heat. Its fermentation. In warm weather sod should be laid within 6 hours. See question number nine.

http://www.sodco.net/our-company/faqs

Good sod farms avoid "fermentation heat-up" by cutting the sod about midnight and timing the truck to arrive at your site at about 6 am. Also if you didn't lay the sod immediately--that could be the problem.

Sod farms see this problem about twice per week. Sod has to be laid quickly. A critical eye or an expert will show you that the green part is sod that is a new start from the top of the pallet--healthy. The brown part is sod from the bottom of the pallet--no air circulation. It may recover--not sure--depends on how bad.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 07-12-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: ps
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Sponsor

The Bermuda should spread well once established. Trying to get the sod that is brown replaced with green sod may prove more challenging. Try not to have as many people involved in a single simple project like this in the future you will find nearly no drama involved when you do.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-13-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
The Bermuda should spread well once established. Trying to get the sod that is brown replaced with green sod may prove more challenging. Try not to have as many people involved in a single simple project like this in the future you will find nearly no drama involved when you do.
easy-lift guy
One company did all the work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Heres whats going on...
I am the landscaper for my HOA. I cut the grass, trim the shrubs, plant flowers etc etc. We had an entrance that the builder abandoned us on and never laid any sod... It has looked like a desert for 2.5 years until this Thursday 7/10/14. I found a company that sub contracted another company to add on to the current irrigation, bring 3 dump trucks of top soil, and lay sod. Everything looked good until yesterday, it looks like some of the strips of sod is dying. the warranty does not cover any grass only irrigation. Do you think this sod will recover? what would you do? My name and company is not tied to this project in anyway, but it is my neighborhood and my wife is an HOA board member. The board had me find the company that was recommended by the former VP of the HOA, he gave me a fair price and I went with him. The HOA is going to come to me regardless and ask questions so i am trying to get out in front of this.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say-----don't sweat it!! Give the sod time to establish itself---the brownish sod will eventually catch up with the greenish and in a years time----you'll forget you even wrote your comments!! The HOA will be praising you for a job well done----meanwhile--do two things

1) Encourage your wifey go get off the HOA board----and spend more quality time with her

2) Sod needs a good rain----not just irrigation from city water that's mixed with chlorinated stuff---floride and stuff like that-----let God irrigate the sod every now and then!!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say-----don't sweat it!! Give the sod time to establish itself---the brownish sod will eventually catch up with the greenish and in a years time----you'll forget you even wrote your comments!! The HOA will be praising you for a job well done----meanwhile--do two things

1) Encourage your wifey go get off the HOA board----and spend more quality time with her

2) Sod needs a good rain----not just irrigation from city water that's mixed with chlorinated stuff---floride and stuff like that-----let God irrigate the sod every now and then!!
Had a friend that is a little more experienced than me and is a member here on LS pretty much tell me the same thing. He said hit it with a 19-19-19 right now and reevaluate in 3-4 weeks and turn the water down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sod is perishable; it must be laid immediately, especially in hot weather.
See "Additional tips".
http://www.grasspad.com/sod.html

Perhaps there was a delay before the sod could be laid. Was the job completed by 2 pm? Did some of it have to wait until the next day? Perfectly straight lines are not the result of watering problems.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Joe, I agree with you and Reddens; poor watering and soil conditions do not result in straight lines like that.
Clearly some rolls of sod were good--some not.

I suspect "on-pallet heat up". It results when the sod is harvested the day before. The internal temperature rises and the sod near the center of the pallet heats up and is killed from the heat. Its fermentation. In warm weather sod should be laid within 6 hours. See question number nine.

http://www.sodco.net/our-company/faqs

Good sod farms avoid "fermentation heat-up" by cutting the sod about midnight and timing the truck to arrive at your site at about 6 am. Also if you didn't lay the sod immediately--that could be the problem.

Sod farms see this problem about twice per week. Sod has to be laid quickly. A critical eye or an expert will show you that the green part is sod that is a new start from the top of the pallet--healthy. The brown part is sod from the bottom of the pallet--no air circulation. It may recover--not sure--depends on how bad.

To the original poster, forget what all these other guys are saying about water, fungus and soil test. These guys don't know what they talking about.

Read and study what riggle said because I would bet my life he is dead on. Sod farms are notorious for doing this when they are the ones laying it, they don't want to let any thing go to waste so what's left over from yesterday turns into tomorrow's supply. It's toast and not going to come back no matter how much water you put on it.
Posted via Mobile Device